Inshore tackle...how light?

2»

Replies

• Shep87Shep87 Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I use a FJ 3000 with 5lb pp on a 7'6 st croix premier medium light fast action. I've never had any issues on the flats now ive broke off a few times fishing trick worms in the lily pads.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Have to disagree with a few of the posters here about the braid on ultralight spinning because that is when you can use small diameter monos that cast well, and the stretch that mono has is very forgiving on ultralight tackle.

And being spooled while using proper tackle is a concern that is very over rated. If you have a high likelyhood of being spooled you're probably doing something wrong.

Caught this "little" overslot jewel with a stradic 1000 and 6# mono on the New Smyrna Jetty on the inlet side with a little current, and it almost spooled me. I could see the spool through about 3-4 layers of mono and figured it was time to put on the brakes so I cupped it good, and fortunately the stretch in the mono held everything together. It didn't take forever, either. 5-7 min at the most.

That was an extreme condition: large fish relative to tackle, no boat to follow it, and current. And still couldn't spool a 1000 reel w 6# mono. (I like to think my fish fighting skills had something to do with it, also.)

Needless to say, in the Mosquito Lagoon, in a boat, with no current, I'm supremely confident in using this setup and it hasnt failed me yet.
    7'6" fast action with 10lb braid on a 2-3k size reel seems to be the most popular.

This is the perfect inshore setup:
    2-3k keeps the weight down.
    7'6 casts significantly farther than 7' while not getting tangled in everything like an 8' does.
    10lb braid is very strong, relatively speaking, casts great, and you can pack a good amount on that size reel.
    You're good to go.

But if you're down for a little more challenge, I definitely recommend the 1000 w 6lb mono or even yozuri hybrid. Just dont cast it to a school of 20# reds while you're wading. BTW, I now have that reel on a 7' Clarus ML, and it balances and handles great. I've had inshore setups come and go, but this little guy is a keeper. It also serves double duty as a bait getter when I'm chunking ladyfish or blues.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Have to disagree with a few of the posters here about the braid on ultralight spinning because that is when you can use small diameter monos that cast well, and the stretch that mono has is very forgiving on ultralight tackle.

And being spooled while using proper tackle is a concern that is very over rated. If you have a high likelyhood of being spooled you're probably doing something wrong.

Caught this "little" overslot jewel with a stradic 1000 and 6# mono on the New Smyrna Jetty on the inlet side with a little current, and it almost spooled me. I could see the spool through about 3-4 layers of mono and figured it was time to put on the brakes so I cupped it good, and fortunately the stretch in the mono held everything together. It didn't take forever, either. 5-7 min at the most.

That was an extreme condition: large fish relative to tackle, no boat to follow it, and current. And still couldn't spool a 1000 reel w 6# mono. (I like to think my fish fighting skills had something to do with it, also.)

This is just my humble opinion but to me cupping your spool is not a skill. It is more of a last resort from having all your line getting taken away by a fish. If you have had braid of equal strength, I believe you wouldn't have needed to cup your spool. Although it does take some skill to land some species of fish, I think most of the skill is at properly setting the hook and tricking the fish into eating/striking at your bait/lure/rig/fly. After you've got the barb buried in its mouth, I think it's more of a test of tackle then anything else. But then again, this is just one of many opinions here in the forum. Whether you want to follow my advice or not is up to you.
    Let's go fishing!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,919 Captain
    It seems like braid in the lower strengths would be almost impossible to work with to me. I have a hard time with it even in 15-20 pound test. It's mostly that it's so supple and soft, it can be difficult to work with I think. I don't mind using mono myself. It has it's drawbacks but it has a lot of strengths too.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    It seems like braid in the lower strengths would be almost impossible to work with to me. I have a hard time with it even in 15-20 pound test. It's mostly that it's so supple and soft, it can be difficult to work with I think. I don't mind using mono myself. It has it's drawbacks but it has a lot of strengths too.

yeah it's a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you won't go back lol
    Let's go fishing!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    This is just my humble opinion but to me cupping your spool is not a skill. It is more of a last resort from having all your line getting taken away by a fish. If you have had braid of equal strength, I believe you wouldn't have needed to cup your spool. Although it does take some skill to land some species of fish, I think most of the skill is at properly setting the hook and tricking the fish into eating/striking at your bait/lure/rig/fly. After you've got the barb buried in its mouth, I think it's more of a test of tackle then anything else. But then again, this is just one of many opinions here in the forum. Whether you want to follow my advice or not is up to you.

:rotflmao :blahblah :rotflmao :willynilly :rotflmao :hail :rotflmao :rolleyes :rotflmao :Spittingcoffee :rotflmao
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    :rotflmao :blahblah :rotflmao :willynilly :rotflmao :hail :rotflmao :rolleyes :rotflmao :Spittingcoffee :rotflmao

I didn't expect a grown man to react that way, lol but I guess different people just have different opinions on fishing. I can respect that.:USA
    Let's go fishing!