Inshore tackle...how light?

Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
What's the lightest tackle people are using for inshore fishing...assuming no mangroves, docks, etc...just open water grass flats?
The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus

Replies

• Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    I used an St croix avid 4-10 lb for redfish. Then it broke (not while hooked up on a fish). It was fun.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    10lb mono.

If fought correctly you can tame a 20lb fish rather quickly if needed.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Some people use 4-8lb braid on light - medium light tackle. They usually do this for casting distance and to make the fight more sporty....if you ask me, I think going as light as you can is much more fun then horsing a fish in.
    Let's go fishing!
  • Flat_TopFlat_Top Posts: 298 Deckhand
    St Croix 7' 6" med fast Avid rods, the freshwater series, 10lb Spiderwire braid, 3000 Shimano CI4 reel, 20lb fluorocarbon leader. Works great for open flats.
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,806 Admiral
    8lb main line and 15lb leader is the lightest I use.

I mostly use 12lb main and 25lb flouro leader.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,564 Captain
    10lbs-15lbs main line, 20-30 lbs leader, 3000 series reel, 7'6 med rod
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    My light inshore set up is a 7'2 ML Fast action rod with a 3000FJ and 10lb Spiderwire -> 20lb Seagar Flouro. I like it more than my 15lb and 20lb class rods and find myself reaching for it even when another line class is probably more appropriate for the situation.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,746 Admiral
    Resinhead wrote: »

I mostly use 12lb main and 25lb flouro leader.

This.

I used to fish 8 years ago until I caught my first flats pompano, 21" at the fork and over 5 lbs.

I won the battle, obviously, but it took forever as I really couldn't put any pressure on it with the 8. Luckily the fish ran off in the direction of our drift, or we might have had to fire up the motor and chase it.

12 is as light as I go in saltwater now.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I use 6-8lb...
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,020 Officer
    I have a half-dozen Shimano Stradic 1000's filled with 4 lb. Backcountry Blue Ande, mounted on Shimano 6'6" medium-action Compre and Clarus rods. There's little to wrap around where I fish, and I've had no problem landing over-slot snook and crevalle jacks up to ~10 lbs.. I find lighter gear to be more sensitive when bouncing jigs across the bottom, and it's just more fun to fish with.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    fishboy wrote: »
    I use 6-8lb...

:signs Lightest is 6 lb. P-Line CXX used for throwing jigs at speckled trout, flounder, slot redfish...
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,162 Admiral
    When I need a challenge I break this guy out.

.\

4lb XT P Line.
    Split Shot wrote: »
    .\

4lb XT P Line.

That must cast a good mile and a half lol
    Let's go fishing!
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Has anyone ever snapped the line when loading up the rod for a really loooong cast, or is that not an issue?

I'm asking because I currently use a 4000 shimano reel on 7' med Ugly Stick with 14# PP now, but I want to lighten up.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,368 Captain
    Has anyone ever snapped the line when loading up the rod for a really loooong cast, or is that not an issue?

I'm asking because I currently use a 4000 shimano reel on 7' med Ugly Stick with 14# PP now, but I want to lighten up.

Why... "jc"
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    Stradic 3000fi w/ 10# Ultracast Invisibraid. 7'6" JM Signature.

- James
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    St Croix Triumph 7 Medium Light with a Shimano Sedona 500 with 100 yards of 8# braid, no backing
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Be mindful if you are casting 4# mono and it'll only happen rarely. 4000 series is big on the flats unless there are tarpon around. I caught an 8# red on 4# mono in the Mosquito Lagoon with a Shakespeare microspin. But that took too long and is probably not good for the fish to be that undergunned. I dont do it any more. But, my 1000 stradic with 6# yozuri hybrid and a 7' ML Clarus will tame most of those reds in around 5 minutes.

There is a caveat and that is current. With a mild current even a small fish can own you on really light mono.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer

It's happened when surf fishing, but never inshore... As long as your lure is not over an ounce, you sould be fine...
    I know the mono vs. braid debate is probably getting old, but is one better than the other for light tackle?

I think I want to find a good 1000 size reel on a 7'6" ml rod. I have a cheap 1000 I bought at a boat show, but the shimano rod is only 6'6" and the reel is nice but I don't think it will last long in the salt.
    I know the mono vs. braid debate is probably getting old, but is one better than the other for light tackle?

I think I want to find a good 1000 size reel on a 7'6" ml rod. I have a cheap 1000 I bought at a boat show, but the shimano rod is only 6'6" and the reel is nice but I don't think it will last long in the salt.

Well Braid is more like insurance for light tackle inshore because it gives you more line capacity (insurance) in case you hook into a large fish that will otherwise spool you clean with limited line backing. Also its more sensitive. So in my opinion, yes braid is better lol
    Let's go fishing!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    braid is way better than mono imo. i hadnt fished mono since i was a kid. I got back into fishing a few years ago, and my buddy re-introduced me with braided line. been fishing it since. put some 8# mono on a 2000 set up a few weeks back, to give it a go, see what all these old timers that come into the shop are still using, and swear by. I caught a few nice 20" trouts on it, it was fun, a little bit of a challenge i guess you could say, since im not used to it. Then i took it bass fishing, missed a big one, didnt feel it, then caught a nice 4#er, didnt feel it hit either. Stripped that mono off when i got home and put some 15# braid on the reel. Then sold the reel to my friend because i didnt really like that either.

But i am spoiled with braid, ill never go back to mono, unless its just a top shot for sharks or something.

Lightest inshore set up i have, and love is a 2000 battle with 6# fireline, now 8# nano fill. caught so many slot and over slot reds and big over slot trout with it. 20 inch grouper also, great set up.

My go to is a 3000FJ on a M action compre, with 15# braid, 200 yards. I like 10# braid better i think, but i got a deal on the 15, so thats what it is.

Ive really been eyeing a few 1000 size reels to put some 4 or 6 # braid on with a ML for a little light set up, just havent moved on that yet.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer

Yes, but only when my bail flips on me. One of my stradic's bail will flip if I go for a home run and it's sitting in the wrong spot, and I've broken several off that way.
  • Flat_TopFlat_Top Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Yes, but only when my bail flips on me. One of my stradic's bail will flip if I go for a home run and it's sitting in the wrong spot, and I've broken several off that way.

I have the exact same issue with one of my Stradic CI4's. I've started to make sure when I open the bail it is facing away from me. That way when I cast it doesn't snap closed. That is expensive when you lose a Sebile Stick Shad.
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,875 Captain
    This happens with my cabo 30 also( when I'm putting some **** behind my cast).

I fish with 2 setups usually. A 7'6" magl 6-12 gloomis greenwater w/ a cabo 30 10# pp w/ 20# floro for flats fishing and a 7' ml 6/12 gloomis gl2 w/ a catalyst 20 10# pp 20# floro for mangrove fishing.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,466 Moderator
    I use a 7'6" custom built Med fast, Light action rod with a Daiwa 1300 SS loaded with 4# mono. I use this mainly for trout but have caught some over slot redfish and snook on it. My largest fish on the outfit is a 47# blacktip.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    wicked ! ^
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I use a Penn 420 SSG (about a 1000) with 6 lb test when I don't have to worry much about breakoffs. Makes a keeper sheepshead pull drag. Did land this out of a dock recently.

X6rJOpb.jpg
  • DJ GeoffDJ Geoff Posts: 188 Officer
    St Croix 7' 6" med fast Avid rods, , 10lb Spiderwire braid, 3000 Shimano CI4 reel, 15lb fluorocarbon leader.
    7'6" fast action with 10lb braid on a 2-3k size reel seems to be the most popular.