Camping hammocks

fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,063 Captain
Has anyone ever slept in or used a camping hammock?? I just purchased a eagles nest outfitters double nest hammock for 55$ shipped regular 70$. Ive recently become interested with these hammocks, they look like fun to lay in and i really hope i can actually sleep in one because it sounds more fun than laying on the ground in a tent. Does anyone have personal experiences or opinions??

Replies

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I hope you're not planning to sleep in a hammock or tent in summer in the Keys.
  • RaksterRakster Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    I've used one that's similar but not as nice as yours. You kind of have to get used to laying in one position to sleep - you can't really lay on your side or curl up. However, it's way more comfortable than laying on the ground even with a pad. The ground kills my back and the hammock doesn't. It's also a lot cooler in the summer. I have a mosquito net that attaches to it for when the bugs are bad. As long as the weather is nice it eliminates the need for a tent too. I think you'll like it.
  • ebfshrebfshr Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    I have the same one. I bought it about a month ago for my backpacking trip to panama and it was great!! Its good to use to hang out in (very simple to set up and break down). I dont know about sleeping in. It can be done for sure but comfort was the issue as it doesnt have a frame to hold a flat shape. But I do know a few people that use them for that specific purpose. I guess its just preference. The only tip i have is def buy the straps they offer, itll make setting up so much easier.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,063 Captain
    tankard wrote: »
    I hope you're not planning to sleep in a hammock or tent in summer in the Keys.

haha no, ill be staying in a nice airconditioned motorhome lol, its for my other camping trips and laying around
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I have a hennessy hammock and they are great for Fl, but not great in the cold unless you buy an underpad.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    cpr wrote: »
    I have a hennessy hammock and they are great for Fl, but not great in the cold unless you buy an underpad.

Do you use a sleeping bag inside when its colder? and how cold are we talking? i have a military issued mummy sleeping bag its pretty thick i feel like that inside of the hammock would keep me warm or am i mistaken?
    fsu11 wrote: »
    Do you use a sleeping bag inside when its colder? and how cold are we talking? i have a military issued mummy sleeping bag its pretty thick i feel like that inside of the hammock would keep me warm or am i mistaken?

It depends on the wind. Your body weight compresses the material taking away it's warm air trapping abilities. The cold principle is like why bridges freeze over first. For me below 50 with a breeze I put a solar blanket underneath me. Under 40 I use a tent. I'm going to get a undercover in the next year tents suck compared to a hammock.
    Good info here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

http://hennessyhammock.com/

http://www.hammockgear.com/
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    It depends on the wind. Your body weight compresses the material taking away it's warm air trapping abilities. The cold principle is like why bridges freeze over first. For me below 50 with a breeze I put a solar blanket underneath me. Under 40 I use a tent. I'm going to get a undercover in the next year tents suck compared to a hammock.
    Good info here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

http://hennessyhammock.com/

http://www.hammockgear.com/

Okay thanks luckily we live in florida so it never gets too cold, im really hoping i can sleep in the hammock it sounds like a whole lot better than a tent
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I have and use some for back country camping. The idea is to cut down on weight mainly. If your going to use one in Florida I would recommend either a couple thermacells or mosquito coils places underneath you while you sleep.
    I have and use some for back country camping. The idea is to cut down on weight mainly. If your going to use one in Florida I would recommend either a couple thermacells or mosquito coils places underneath you while you sleep.

Good idea, do mosquito coils get very hot?
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    No they are like an incense stick, just in a circular coil and last for hours as long as you have them propped right and they don't get wet or damp.
    I just looked up your eagles nest outfitters double nest hammock it doesn't have misquote netting. I get go to a outfitter and get some.

I just looked up your eagles nest outfitters double nest hammock it doesn't have misquote netting. I get go to a outfitter and get some.

I will, i get my hammock monday or tuesday and then ill figure out how to make my own mosquito netting