Looking at Beavertail BT3 w/ 115 Optimax

Nauti By NatureNauti By Nature Posts: 60 Greenhorn
Anyone have any experience on one? Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Capt. J. Diaz
Nauti By Nature Charters
28' Whitewater 225 Yamaha 4 strokes
http://www.nautibynaturecharters.com/

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,280 Officer
    Why would you want 115 HP on a light boat like that?
  • Nauti By NatureNauti By Nature Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    I always believe in overpowered is better than underpowered. I want to be able to get on a plane in a short distance between flats and still cruise at decent speed. Also the xs is only a few $ more and Carbon-fiber reeds are a big +. After trolling motor, power pole, 3 batteries, tackle, misc junk, 2 anglers and guide its not that light. I will be making long runs to the Marquesas and the boat will serve double duty for guiding out of and for sandbar on the weekends. (Oh and I like to go fast) :cool:
    Nauti By Nature Charters
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Opti 115 is a heavy motor...
    Signature
    Optimax weight: 375, Etec: 375, Yamaha: 401, Suzuki: 416, so Optimax is the lighter/same weight as other 115's. Suzuki 90 is 341, Etec 90 is 320. I'm <200lbs so 55lbs on stern isn't as much of an issue as far as draft is concerned. Also will be using a 45 yeti as casting platform up front. I was looking at the Suzuki 90 but hole shot and propping correctly may be an issue. Just really curious if anyone out there is running the Bt3 and options they must/wish they have.
    Nauti By Nature Charters
  • fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
    I think the 115 Optimax and the 115 ETEC are the same weight,375#. I have a 90 ETEC. It weighs 55 lbs. less than the other two. BT3 is rated for 115.

I went from a 4 to a 3 blade prop on mine. It still has a great hole shot and I get a couple more mph out of it. That's an hour run over to the Marquesas.

My boat is the Stu Apte version.

fltsfshr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 488 Deckhand
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Why would you want 115 HP on a light boat like that?

Because we can buy them!!! Ugg Ugg
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    If your set on a 115 I would be looking at a more open water friendly skiff (Vantage, Marquesa, HPXV etc) myself.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    If your set on a 115 I would be looking at a more open water friendly skiff (Vantage, Marquesa, HPXV etc) myself.

...ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. A 115 on a boat like that is like putting a poling tower on a Bay Boat.
    Thanks for responding with some actual info, not just that I'm crazy for wanting a 115. BTW there's a guide (one of the best in the Keys) down here that runs same skiff with a Yamaha F-115 so he's crazy too ;) Yours is obviously loaded being the Stu Apte but is there anything you would've done different or added? What trolling motor? I was looking at the 90 also but its only a couple $100 more for the 115. They are creating a new model that combines the vengeance rear end (livewell and storage) into the BT3. I am also looking at the East Cape Vantage, but was very impressed with the BT and their operation.
    Nauti By Nature Charters
  • fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
    One of the differences with my version is there are no live wells in the back. I don't guide and I hate being the pass the baiter. My wells in front of the console. I'd get hold of Elizabeth at Aeon and let her set you up with a ride in one with a 115 on it. Either that or check your guide friend. I haven't found one thing I dislike about this boat from fit to finish to service. I use it all from the poling tower rests to the Seadek. This is my boat from Aeon's web page.
    http://www.beavertailskiffs.com/?page_id=11

fltsfshr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks. I have been dealing with Elizabeth she's been very helpful, I just like to hear real world, first hand knowledge from people that are using the boat.
    Nauti By Nature Charters
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Optimax weight: 375, Etec: 375, Yamaha: 401, Suzuki: 416, so Optimax is the lighter/same weight as other 115's. Suzuki 90 is 341, Etec 90 is 320. I'm <200lbs so 55lbs on stern isn't as much of an issue as far as draft is concerned. Also will be using a 45 yeti as casting platform up front. I was looking at the ISuzuki 90 but hole shot and propping correctly may be an issue. Just really curious if anyone out there is running the Bt3 and options they must/wish they have.

My bad. Was thinking of weights when I was searching for my 90. Thanks for keeping me in check. ;-)
    Signature
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    My son has the new Strike and it is awesome.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• Capt. Gregg McKeeCapt. Gregg McKee Posts: 201 Officer
    Thanks for responding with some actual info, not just that I'm crazy for wanting a 115. BTW there's a guide (one of the best in the Keys) down here that runs same skiff with a Yamaha F-115 so he's crazy too ;) Yours is obviously loaded being the Stu Apte but is there anything you would've done different or added? What trolling motor? I was looking at the 90 also but its only a couple $100 more for the 115. They are creating a new model that combines the vengeance rear end (livewell and storage) into the BT3. I am also looking at the East Cape Vantage, but was very impressed with the BT and their operation.

I take it from that you already know Capt. Mike Bartlett on Key West. He's currently running his second BT3 and this one is powered by an F115. If I were rigging a BT3 or Vengeance for the Keys I would definitely consider the big engine. I'm personally a Yammaha die-hard (I run an F70 on my BT3) but I'm also a fan of the ProXS. There are a couple of BTs rigged with that motor and they're producing some impressive speeds. I'm actually convinced that the Merc I ran was putting out a bit more than 115hp. It's a real screamer.

I also noticed that a couple other posters hinted that the BT is not a good open water boat. Anyone who thinks that simply has not run one. Capt. Mike's skiff eats up the Marquesas run better than any skiff I've been on, and I've been on a lot of them. Mike and I both ran Mirage 17s for over ten years in Key West and the BT is a far better open water boat than the smaller Maverick and drafts just the same. I've had mine for a year and a half and couldn't be happier with it.
    I take it from that you already know Capt. Mike Bartlett on Key West. He's currently running his second BT3 and this one is powered by an F115. If I were rigging a BT3 or Vengeance for the Keys I would definitely consider the big engine. I'm personally a Yammaha die-hard (I run an F70 on my BT3) but I'm also a fan of the ProXS. There are a couple of BTs rigged with that motor and they're producing some impressive speeds. I'm actually convinced that the Merc I ran was putting out a bit more than 115hp. It's a real screamer.

I also noticed that a couple other posters hinted that the BT is not a good open water boat. Anyone who thinks that simply has not run one. Capt. Mike's skiff eats up the Marquesas run better than any skiff I've been on, and I've been on a lot of them. Mike and I both ran Mirage 17s for over ten years in Key West and the BT is a far better open water boat than the smaller Maverick and drafts just the same. I've had mine for a year and a half and couldn't be happier with it.

The ProXS 115 and E-tec 115ho both are around 130HP.

Gregg I spent a lot of time on a Vengeance when looking for my next boat, and while it's a great boat you have got to quit saying it runs better than some of the larger skiffs in it's class. It simply does not handle the open water as well as a HB Marquesa, 18 HPXV or EC Vantage (especially the VHP). The boat and company are great, but let's keep things accurate when it comes to it's running of rough, open waters compared to others in it's class.

Nauti I didn't mean to imply your crazy for wanting a 115 on the boat, what I meant is while it can run it, the hull is just not designed or efficient with a 115. I'm sure it has wicked holeshot, but your only going to get so much speed out of it with that hull. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would recommend one of the 90s for a perfect fit.
  • Capt. Gregg McKeeCapt. Gregg McKee Posts: 201 Officer
    The ProXS 115 and E-tec 115ho both are around 130HP.

Gregg I spent a lot of time on a Vengeance when looking for my next boat, and while it's a great boat you have got to quit saying it runs better than some of the larger skiffs in it's class. It simply does not handle the open water as well as a HB Marquesa, 18 HPXV or EC Vantage (especially the VHP). The boat and company are great, but let's keep things accurate when it comes to it's running of rough, open waters compared to others in it's class.

Nauti I didn't mean to imply your crazy for wanting a 115 on the boat, what I meant is while it can run it, the hull is just not designed or efficient with a 115. I'm sure it has wicked holeshot, but your only going to get so much speed out of it with that hull. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would recommend one of the 90s for a perfect fit.

You quoted my post but you didn't read it closely. I said that the BT3 is a better open water boat than the Mav 17, which it is. I'd put the BT3/Vengeance in the same category as the HPX18 and Marquesa, which are both significantly more expensive. The HPX18 is the best ride thanks to its deadrise but is not remarkably drier than the BT. I've never run a VHP but at 19' (and also more expensive) I would imagine that it is a better open water boat. All great skiffs either way.
    @ mastercaster, I know that you can only get so much speed out of a hull irregardless of the power on the back, my goal is not to go 70mph, I want to have the power (with 2 anglers, a guide, all thier crap, and on fun days me, a couple of girls and the dog;)to have decent cruising speed, holeshot, and be able to run flat out when it is like a sheet of glass out there. I do not want to have to keep swapping props dependant on load. The boat will be serving double duty as guiding out of and sandbar, bully netting, lobster diving, ect. I totally understand/appriciate your points. And I have not made my decision yet I was just trying to get some input, I am also looking at EC vantage (not vhp I've heard it's not great at polling as it is going fast). The HB and Maverick are just a little more than I want to spend.

@Capt. Greg I appreciate your advise also as to actually having run the skiff. I don't personally know Mike just of him by reputation (one of the best) I need to give him a shout and see if he can pencil me in to go for a ride and get first hand knowledge on the BT w 115hp albeit a "softer" 115 than the XS. The HB marquesa has a performance report on the evinrude website w/ the 130ho and if I am anywhere close to those numbers (obviously 15hp more and ideal conditions taken into account ) I would be very happy.
    Nauti By Nature Charters
    I am also looking at EC vantage (not vhp I've heard it's not great at polling as it is going fast).

The VHP with a 115 is a sweet setup, 50 - 53 MPH all day long and 9 - 9 1/2" draft depending on load. It certainly doesn't pole like the BT's but I feel like it's still a great poling boat.

I don't think your going to see but 45 MPH at best with a 115 on the BT, that's still fast for the type of boat but I bet the 90 moves it to low 40's. HB tweaked the hull and added a running pad to the latest Marquesa so that's how it squeezes out 48 with the 115HO.
  • maverick29maverick29 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    so did you ever get your bt skiff with 115 If so how you like?
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Go to the factory and talk to the owners. I was there and my son purchased the Strike.
    The Beavertail is a quality boat and made in Florida. It might be worth the drive.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

No I actually picked up a maverick mirage hp with a 90 merc , love the boat so far. I still like the beavertail might upgrade eventually.
    Nauti By Nature Charters