New concept drawings up on the Port FB page for the boat ramps

https://www.facebook.com/portcanaveral

I do like some of the options a lot better then the first one I saw about year ago. I'm more hopeful today on the future of our boat ramp after looking at these.

thoughts?
2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
Etec 250

Replies

• bustinbustin Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    There are several conceptual drawings that include the boat ramps, I do not particularly care for the one where they dredge a canal. Seems like boat traffic in there could be problematic. Also, maybe it is just the scale of the drawings, but parking looks a lot smaller. Otherwise, the drawings look great. I would like to see them keep the commercial working waterfront around. I know that may not be popular on this site, but I sure hate to see shrimpers and the king boats crowded out .
  • Cuda23Cuda23 Posts: 43 Deckhand
    The location of the ramp looks like an absolute nightmare. That said, I definitely would like to invest in a restaurant close to that ramp.
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    I am pleased to see recreational boat access in the plans. Like the waterfront canal, the bait shop in front of the ramp and truck/trailer parking close by.

Like the concept and what our port is beginning to look like. The new observation tower or funky looking building looks very cool.

Thank you!
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 647 Officer
    my favorite is the one that puts the ramp East of all the tourist action. It will pretty much eliminate any conflicts between tourists wandering around and trucks with heavy boats and trailers. Today, I'm surprised no one has been run over with all the drunks wandering between Grills and the parking lot crossing in front of trucks pulling boats out. Recently I had some drunk dude dragging his kid across the ramp while my buddy pulled my boat out. Very lucky my friend saw him and slammed on the breaks or it could have been a sad situation.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    is all this happening in the area of Grills? Sorry, I can't tell by drawing.
    Am I looking at this wrong/ it looks like a long ways to trailer parking, especially overflow. As of now, theres no place to tie up the boat while going after trailer except in the way at the ramp. I know the ideal thing is someone idle in the river while you go after the trailer but some, I for one, do not always have someone with me to run boat or go after the trailer. Last time I was there I had to tie up at the ramp while I went after trailer, thought I was gonna get killed!! The concept looks worse in the future. Looks like parking has been moved farther away from the dock to make room for a bait shop. I bet if you're in overflow parking it takes 10 mins to wqlk to trailer, drive it to the ramp. If its busy there will be about 10 boats piled up waiting to launch or come out. I know waterfront is prime but there has to be some allowance for the ramp and parking. Just my observation.
    tunaman wrote: »
    Am I looking at this wrong/ it looks like a long ways to trailer parking, especially overflow. As of now, theres no place to tie up the boat while going after trailer except in the way at the ramp. I know the ideal thing is someone idle in the river while you go after the trailer but some, I for one, do not always have someone with me to run boat or go after the trailer. Last time I was there I had to tie up at the ramp while I went after trailer, thought I was gonna get killed!! The concept looks worse in the future. Looks like parking has been moved farther away from the dock to make room for a bait shop. I bet if you're in overflow parking it takes 10 mins to wqlk to trailer, drive it to the ramp. If its busy there will be about 10 boats piled up waiting to launch or come out. I know waterfront is prime but there has to be some allowance for the ramp and parking. Just my observation.

That's exactly how I was looking at it.
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 303 Deckhand
    Feel free to add your comments to the facebook page under each conceptual drawing. I'm sure they will be read.
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    I feel strongly about handicap rites. It's definately unacceptable to expect a cripled person to have to travel that far to the boat from the parking, This needs to be addressed!
  • yachteryachter Posts: 182 Deckhand
    We need to keep tourists separate from the ramp area, they have a hard enough time navigating a car straight on the beach line
    It would be nice if the ramp was more East (less idling) and had nothing to do with the tourist section.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    Cuda23 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the ramp was more East (less idling) and had nothing to do with the tourist section.

Exactly! Even though a boat ramp is an excellant place to go watch when you have nothing better to do, always good for a laugh! Good free entertainment! Just joking, this ramp will create more congestion than the current one, by far.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,190 AG
    The issues said seems common.
    At Yacht club here in Sebastian....it can get really bad busy on weekends. Like Tuna said....I fish alone the majority of the time....and I have at times tied up to the big pier north of the finger docks and climbed over the pier railings....At 57 years old....I'm getting less inclined to do that!

As for handi-capped....I agree with Jethro. Here at Yacht club...there is one spot...shameful!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Unfortunately I don't think the minds at the Port care much about us boaters using the existing ramp. Why would they care what we think about the ramp they plan to build. They are interested in $$$ and cruise ships. I mean, I've lost count of how many months the Eastern most ramp has been damaged and blocked off. The floating docks bumpers are falling off, cleats are broken off (although I don't use them) even some of the metal supports holding the main walk way are broken.
    Its the same at lots or ramps Cuda. The state doubles registration fees and we can't launch our boat, shameful. State wanted to give New Smyrna I believe $100,000 or maybe more to expand/build a new ramp. There were 2 great locations available. There was a time limit on the availability of the money. New Smyrna said :"we won't be rushed into anything" This was 2-3 yrs ago or more, the sites are still not being used!! To launch now at New Smyrna, you better be there WAY before daylite or you'll park beside the road 1/2 mile from ramp. I'm amazed they haven't put up "no parking" signs.