Travel reel??????

pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
I'm gonna pick up a lightweight travel rod to use all over Florida and was curious as to what model and size reels I should look into.

Anyone use a travel reel they would recommend?

PJ

Replies

• Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Always keep one in the trunk of the Camaro. I like the three piece travel rods the best. Sorry, I learned I'm not allowed to make recommendations or help members out per the Florida Sportman Forum Guidelines.
  • LoganGLoganG Posts: 48 Deckhand
    I would look at some shimano reels in 3000 or 2500,Or if you have the money quantum`s in the 20 size are pretty good.IMHO the battle if you can afford it but the downside its slightly heavier than the shimano and the quantum`s.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I keep a Penn Battle 3000 on a 2 piece MH/fast rod in the truck 24/7. I've used it for canal bass, spillway snook, jacks under bridges, surf fishing for macs etc. I live in SoFla so I find myself pulling over to the side of the road more and more while in traffic (esp now that DST is here and its light til 730pm). Personally, I'm a fan of the Battle series because of the beating I put on them while kayak fishing. I've dunked my 5000 numerous times and it keeps on ticking. I like leaving the 3000 in the truck because I literally never have to worry about it. I just service it when I clean the rest of my reels, it has yet to fail on me (some other ppl may have different views, but this is just my 2 cents)

Tight lines, and good luck!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    PJ,

Define "lightweight"? What fishing are you going to do with it? Without any specifics, just match the reel to the rod you select; i.e. if it's a 7' rod rated for 6-12lbs, start with a 3000 size reel, and spool with 8lbs mono or 15lb braid. If the rod's is a little stiffer, say 8-15lbs, go with a 4000 size reel.

PB
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    a 2000 size battle is perfect for light inshore like [trout reds] and (snook on the beach)
    Let's go fishing!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,297 Officer
    I carry a telescopic graphite rod with an old Mitchell 300 in my truck. 8 lb mono line.
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    PJ,

Define "lightweight"? What fishing are you going to do with it? Without any specifics, just match the reel to the rod you select; i.e. if it's a 7' rod rated for 6-12lbs, start with a 3000 size reel, and spool with 8lbs mono or 15lb braid. If the rod's is a little stiffer, say 8-15lbs, go with a 4000 size reel.

I'll be fishing for snook, trout and reds from shore throwing artificial lures. I wanna buy a 7' 3-4 piece rod and a 1000-2500 series reel that I'll spool with 10 lb braid.......recommendations??????
    PB
    I wanna buy a 7' 3-4 piece rod and pair it with 1000-2500 series reel spooled with 10 lb braid.
    I'll be fishing for snook, trout, reds and small tarpon throwing artificial while wading or from shore.......recommendations?????
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Always keep one in the trunk of the Camaro. I like the three piece travel rods the best. Sorry, I learned I'm not allowed to make recommendations or help members out per the Florida Sportman Forum Guidelines.

pm me your recommendations
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    A lot of opinions on rod sections (3 pc. , 4-pc., etc.) I'd just like to say that whenever you have a joint or connection in fishing equipment, this is cause for a potential failure. Same holds true for knots; the more you have, the better your chances for a failure at some point. I'm not saying that it is going to happen....just that if it does, that a connection is where it is going to occur.

That said, look at where you intend to store this rod. In the trunk of your car? Doesn't matter...but try to go with as few pieces as possible. The action of the rod will be better in the first place. As for the reel, lots of good answers here. Right now, I am in favor of the Penn Battles. Excellent drags and the line capacity/per size of the reel, is far superior to Shimano's. Weight difference is a non-issue, IMO. But if you happen to be driving down to the Keys and want to try for a bonefish off Anne's Beach in Marathon, .....and you hook up....you'll be glad for that extra capacity. What I'm trying to say, is that the Battle is more of a "do-all" reel, for whatever outfit you use it. Just my 2 cents.
    .......Rick
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    I'd look at several rods:

Crowder Rod Co. E-Series Lite; 3-piece 6-12lbs for $180. http://www.crowderrods.com/EseriesL.html

St. Croix Premier Series Travel Rod; 3-piece, 6-12lbs for $190. http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/premier-spinning

For reels, as PR said above, there are just too many choices. The Penn Battle 3000 would work great on any of the above, as would a Stradic 3000 (more $) or a Diawa Procyon 2500 or 3000 (in between the two).

Hope that helps...

PB
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    battle 3000 is great, shimano 3000s even better imo, just probably wont take abuse as well. even a penn spinfisher v 3500, i think would be a good travel reel. can REALLY beat the hell out of it, and holds a LOT of braid. just bigger and heavier.
    i always thought, if i travel, im taking my 4000 ci4, real light, holds a lot of line, just kinda big still. dont know if weight savings makes up for size in this case. id probably travel with my FJ 3000, thats my go to reel for everything. 200 yds of 10# braid.

im taking notes on these travel rods. been wanting to get one of them to have. kinda done with my 2 piece ugly stik.