Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Dry Tortugas Yuri in April

Has anyone fished with Yuri in April?

I am scheduled in mid April and was curious how the fishing differs from November. I understand the tuna bite and wahoo bite is better,but not really sure what tactics he uses. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• duke6543duke6543 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    My last six trips with Yuri have always been in April. I don't think there is a slow time of year when fishing with Yuri. He has been fishing the DT and surrounding areas for so long that he has the fish dialed in no matter what month. I have fished with him in all seasons and never have been disappointed. Although April is my favorite time down there, I would not hesitate to go any time of the year.
    As for tuna and wahoo, last year in April the BF tuna were everywhere, we even caught one on the way down while deep dropping at around 800 feet. One of the crew broke out the fly rod and boated two or three. We have done well on wahoo in April several times but last year did not see one. Now that I think about it we did not do any trolling last year on the way out or back in.
    If this is your first time with Yuri you are welcome to PM me.

Good luck and fill us in with a report when you return.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    This is my 4th or 5th time but have always went in the Nov/Dec timeframe and wanted to change it up a bit. The tuna bite is definitely exciting. What gear do you typically bring? I am asking because we are typically geared only for bottom fishing grouper etc...
    We always load the boat for bear but only half of what we bring gets used. Same as you, we all bring the bottom gear but for a surface bite that is happening right behind the boat I prefer a 6'6-7' med-heavy spin outfit that has enough drag to stop a hard charging tuna or AJ. Plus the light weight spin gear for the yellowtails. Last year one of the guys boated a black fin with his yellowtail rod. In the heat of all the excitement he broke one off and just grabbed the small rod that was already rigged with a small hook and after about 30 minutes the BF was on the gaff. Basically, everything we take is the same as when I have been on the November and July trips.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Any idea what wt fly rod he used? I bet that was fun
    I am pretty sure it was an 11wt with a sinking line. The bow of the boat offers even more room for fly casting since it has been extended.