Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

NO FISH IN CARD SOUND R THE WATERS CONTAMINATED???????????????

ive been fishing the card sound area from jewfish creek to broad creek for year n years with all sorts of different baits live,cut,lures,day n nite for over 20yrs off n on and i have 2 honestly say its never been productive for me.ive got a few small snappers, some 12in jacks,grunts & nothing else,,has anybody else here had this problem?..an old fishing guide from key largo told me,he calls that area ( the dead zone).cuse theres nothing there,according 2 him, the turkey point power plant has contaminated all that area,thats y the lack of fish...any truth to this:huh???

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    No fish in the upper keys head south their are plenty down in the lower keys.:wink

Their are few fish in the open bay but you can find a variety of fish on the Mangrove Islands , Flats, and in the creeks and cuts.I'm not giving up any secrets but I have cough nice snapper, trout, Snook, grouper,Spanish Mack's, Porgies and sheep head in the last couple of months in the area you mentioned:fishing.Tight lines

Just noticed Welcome to the Forum Alex.I don't take many picktures but here is one from the area from last year
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Welcome to the Forum & I hope you can turn things around. No need to come further down-everyone knows the lower keys are all barren, no fish.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i fish from alabama jacks to elliot key,theres fish all over got 1 permit and saw two others on the nw side if the bridge just outside the canal.catch snook around there. throw topwater and hookup on lots of cudas some sharks and a tarpon sometimes.go to the outside of elliot and fish around the under cut for big snapper theres snook and taropn around there also. in the little cuts theres usally bait.good luck
  • aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    I felt the same way when I fished Buttonwood Sound. Caught some grunts and baby 'cudas around the dock. Around the mangroves, we caught mangrove snapper and more baby 'cudas. But, away from the shoreline, not much life. But, there were plenty of mangrove creeks and islands to catch fish.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Welcome to the Forum & I hope you can turn things around. No need to come further down-everyone knows the lower keys are all barren, no fish.

Ron.......Oh, never mind. :grin
    .......Rick
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    I felt the same way when I fished Buttonwood Sound. Caught some grunts and baby 'cudas around the dock. Around the mangroves, we caught mangrove snapper and more baby 'cudas. But, away from the shoreline, not much life. But, there were plenty of mangrove creeks and islands to catch fish.

my place is on Button Wood and I have to agree their is not much at all in that bay but you can find some trout and snook along the mangrove shore line some big Tarpon come into the canals in the evenings.and your ever present mangrove snapper in the ICW Chanel.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer

Hmmmmmm!
  • followotherboatsfollowotherboats Posts: 445 Deckhand
    I have caught reds, bones and tarpon in that area so it is not a dead scene.
  • Countryboy_ucfCountryboy_ucf Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Not dead, but it can be difficult if your not used to fishing it. I do mostly artificial in the Tampa Bay area, but took a trip down there in December. I tried the same tactics I use here and ended up with a few Mangrove snapper on the inside creeks mouths, accompanied by LOTS of baby cuda (hate those things personally). Went through the channels to the Atlantic side creek mouths and saw bones, caught grouper, snapper, and shark on artificial. This was all on a nasty cold front too.

I don't know much about the area from my one day fishing it, but seems to be the best bet is fishing the creek mouths...
  • alex5000alex5000 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    when ive gone offshore thru broad creek passing the ocean reef club,ive done well with cut squid,sardize and a chum bag,out there ,,but in the bay n all those cardsound creeks nothing.,,hey has any body here fished the ( GLADES CANAL/AREO JET CANAL) enterence?.i was out there recently and it looked really promising but didnt take any hits.