Paint advise for my hull

Speckle TroutSpeckle Trout Posts: 57 Greenhorn
I have a 14' fiberglass boat that I have had to make some repairs to the hull. I do not want to spend the money it would take to re-gelcoat it. So I'm looking at a two-part polyurethane paint. I was wondering what product to use? I have looked at Awgrip and Interlux at West Marine. Is that the way I should go? I have the ability to spray it on but I do not have a shop, it would be done outside. Or should I roll it on? I've never painted the bottom of a boat before so was hoping someone here might have some knowledge on the subject. I will be painting the inside of the boat also. Thanks for the help. Mike
Keep the drags smoking!

Replies

• 23Dusky23Dusky Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Interlux is an option.
    The reps on their forum are very good about answering your questions.
    http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/forums.html

I have also used Signature (3part epoxy) with good luck. SE Florida guy runs it...very good product, but expensive.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 919 Officer
    I'm kind of partial to Petit Easypoxy. Its one part, goes on easily, and gives me a nice gloss finish that holds up well. I have used it on four of my boats so far over the past several years. I use the Roll & Tip method for application with a 4" foam roller. It's fast and looks good. Doing it outdoors is ok, just pick a non-windy day. There are several "how-to" films on UTube. Here is a before and some after pics of my latest project boat using Easypoxy. The hull had 29 years worth of scrapes, dings, and gouges, in addition to a rotted transom that I wanted to modify anyway.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,717 Admiral
    Wow! Great job... she looks fantastic.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,038 Officer
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Wow! Great job... she looks fantastic.

X2
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • piscatorpiscator Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Very impressive!
    Salty... What kind of prep did you do before painting? Did you use the same easypoxy on the interior too? Any pics of the interior?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 919 Officer
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Salty... What kind of prep did you do before painting? Did you use the same easypoxy on the interior too? Any pics of the interior?

This is a job that anyone should be able to accomplish without expensive equipment or skills..... just time and energy. Just do the normal prep that you would do for any other paint. Old screw holes are tapered and scrapes are filled, hairline cracks are opened with a "church key" and then filled. Fair and sand, sand, sand. Then apply a coat of Easypoxy Undercoater and sand again. Finish coat is rolled & tipped. I bought mine from Wholesale Marine at http://boats.wholesalemarine.com/index/_/N-/Ntt-easypoxy?gclid=CKSLuO7TsbYCFQvnnAodgWEAWA

Here are some before and after pics of the inside. The same paint was used there.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    Thanks for that info. It clears alot up.

She really looks sweet!
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,443 Officer
    Man that boat does look sweet...nice lines with a great paint job!
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,277 Officer
    Wow Salty Dawg, ton of work into that boat, she looks awesome!!!
    Member #10822
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 185 Deckhand
    What a great looking job. I'm sure the prep had a lot to do with how well it came out. With the roll and tip method, if you look close up, can you see brush marks?
    Thanks
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Interlux and Sea Hawk are the two "go to" bottom paints for most applications