Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Key largo fishing

I usually go to marathon because that's where I grew up at my grandmas house. But her no lo get living there I've been venturing closer in key largo. I'm taking my wife and a friend down to do some fishing I. A couple weeks. Nothing major just looking to bend a rod. Bait of choose live shrimp or maybe greenies if around. What's a good option. Boat is 17' skiff. Near shore. Thanks for any advice

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    You can't do any better than the patch reefs along Hawks Chanel to bend a rod.Shrimp and pilchards are great i would and fresh if possible ballyhoo to your bait list for fishing the Atlantic side.If the wind is blowing you can fish many areas creeks and passes in the back country.and the Chanel's in the ICW hold some fish also.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 297 Deckhand
    I prefer to go out of Garden Cove and head towards Carysfort or the Elbow...less boats out that way...plenty of patch reefs in the 30 to 50 depths and you can also try the deeper reef....when I fish the patches I anchor in the sand up current and chum to attract ballyhoos...if they don't show up I move...fish them live on the bottom and you will be surprised...at the same time free line with a small hook for yellowtails.....we always catch something for dinner....you can snorkel the shallow reefs for some beautiful sights...good luck...