Fuel tank replacement, Melourne area?

Hey everyone,

I am new here, but have read the forum for quite some time. I have been in the area for just over a year now, and likely need to have my fuel tank replaced and/or repaired. The boat is a 1997 17ft key west. I keep it in the garage.

At times, I can smell a faint smell of gas if I open the bilge hatch. The smell is very bad if I fill up the tank entirely. It may just be the fuel sender gasket, but with the age of the boat, I figure it may be time to replace.

I am pretty good with boat work, but have never replaced an entire tank before. Plus, I am short of free-time at the moment with work etc..

Can someone recommend a shop near Melbourne?

Thanks
Mark

Replies

• tstaylor21tstaylor21 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Boathouse is a good place to go. It's in Melbourne off US1 just south of Eau Gallie. They really know there stuff!
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,053 Captain
    Thanks for the information, I will look them up.

Mark
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Yup. Boat House is the only place I go!
    Signature
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    Hey everyone,

I am new here, but have read the forum for quite some time. I have been in the area for just over a year now, and likely need to have my fuel tank replaced and/or repaired. The boat is a 1997 17ft key west. I keep it in the garage.

At times, I can smell a faint smell of gas if I open the bilge hatch. The smell is very bad if I fill up the tank entirely. It may just be the fuel sender gasket, but with the age of the boat, I figure it may be time to replace.

I am pretty good with boat work, but have never replaced an entire tank before. Plus, I am short of free-time at the moment with work etc..

Can someone recommend a shop near Melbourne?

Thanks
    Mark

I would check your acess plate close to the tank take a flashlight and look around your fuel sender (inside your fuel tank, for your fuel gage) a lot of times those post will rust then fall into your fuel tank. Normally they are on the top of the tank, take a look, look at all fuel lines to determine where the fuel vapors are comming from.

I would find out where the vapors are comming from first, it could be a clogged tank vent. You know most of the time you will have to rip up your deck to replace your fuel tank. I would find out first what the fuel tank was made of, find the vapors, then go from there. You may be able to reslove this issue yourself!

I have a 2007, 1720 Key West, my fuel tank is some sort of composit plastic.

Good luck!
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    check your fuel and vent hoses for cracking or flaking. Ethanol gas eats up the rubber!
  • Big WormBig Worm Posts: 61 Deckhand
    My 98 has an aluminum tank.