Home Evinrude

09 etec 150 trim problem

meat77meat77 Posts: 31 Deckhand
I have twin 09 etec 150s and up to now have loved them. About 4 weeks ago my port engine "up" trim quit working. I have the best extended warranty so I took it into the dealer and got the relay switched out. Worked great 2x then over the weekend went out again. It's the same engine and same up direction. I checked for loose connections etc. found nothing. Any ideas what could be causing this? It's a major pain in the a** to be at the dock with a motor that won't trim up...

Replies

• BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand
    There is a trim limit switch in the system that could be faulty or out of adjustment. See your owners manual.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    My '11 90hp is the same way. If you pull the cowling off, the relay box is on the port side of the engine. It's about 2.5x4". Tap on it while pushing the up switch. If the trim works after tapping then the relay box is bad again. There isn't a whole lot of options tip fix it other than replace the box.

Old Johnrudes were a piece of cake as the relays were separate and you could swap them around if the trim wouldn't work in one direction.
    Signature
  • meat77meat77 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Thanks for the replies I dropped it off at the dealer today since its still under warranty. I can't imagine that the relay would crap out again after 2 uses. Hopefully they will be able to locate the real problem.
  • meat77meat77 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Confirmed it was the trim limit switch. Thanks for the help
    Glad to hear that the problem is solved.

--- Travis McGee

• BobbyRoach3BobbyRoach3 Posts: 60 Deckhand
    My 07' 200 has been doing the same thing. Where did you take it and how much did it cost or should have cost in your case? And I agree defiantly a pain in the A$$!
    21' Striper ~ 200 E-Tec
    It is impossible to guess the cost without seeing and troubleshooting the whole system.

Often the switch is not the problem, but it could be an easy to repair connection or sometimes just the plastic detent cam that activates the switch is cracked.

A good dealer can give you an estimate after a short evaluation of the motor.

--- Travis McGee