Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

my baby's gotta have some junk in her trunk

sunflowersunflower Senior MemberPosts: 722 Officer

So, I got a new 12-weight for my birthday this month. I didn't go for one of the super-expensive rods, because I have yet to be convinced a $900 rod fishes 3 times better than a TFO that goes for $250. I was expecting one of the BVK models, but was surprised to get a 12 from a new series, the "Mangrove" series designed with Flip Pallot. Anyway, I looked at the specs online, and it seems fine, so I decided to go with this one.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/mangrove-series.html

Like a kid at Christmas, I can't wait, and open it up as I'm driving home. That dull thud you hear was the sound of my heart breaking when I saw the rod. A 12-weight with the silliest tiny butt I ever saw! Not fit for fighting any fish larger than a ladyfish! I mean, Paris Hilton has more butt than this rod ... and she's a skinny white chick.

So, I'm probably about 5 blocks from the store when I see this and call Temple Fork, still driving. I get connected to the service department, and I express a little astonishment at the poor design. I ask if they can put a bigger butt on somehow. The guy say, "Yeah, we've heard that already. The next production run will have a bigger butt. Go ahead and use this one if you want, and when the new run comes out next month you can return it and we'll give you a new one with a bigger butt."

Well ... la tea dah. I love these guys!

I haven't had a chance to cast it yet. But I've already got a smile on my face.

Baby's gonna get her some back! I like big butts and I can't deny it ...

Here's my old TFO 8-weight, and here's the new 12. Think they should have sensed a potential problem?

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Senior Member Hallandale Beach/Cudjoe Key FlPosts: 1,159 Officer
    Sounds like you are the butt to a bad joke. Ya think sage would do the same...I think knot!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,799 Captain
    There's a simple fix for your problem.... do what many of us did years and years ago when you couldn't find rods with fighting butts. Just go to the nearest shop that builds rods and ask for a large butt cap that will fit right over the existing butt. Problem solved instantly (my guess is that you're going to need a size 22 or larger...)

By the way I have two TFO rods that I hand customers, a 9 and a 10wt. Both are the TiCR-X model and we've had great results with them.... They come with a heavier lower end than most fly rods and work very nicely for pulling on large rude fish.... Maybe TFO will let you upgrade.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • DogmanDogman Senior Member Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, FlaPosts: 450 Deckhand
    Looks like the butt on my 7wt Thomas & Thomas. Fine for a Bass rod, not so much for big fish :(
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
  • sunflowersunflower Senior Member Posts: 722 Officer

Guys ...

I said: "Temple Fork says they will replace it with one with a big butt next week."

There is no problem to be solved.

Mark

• mtd885mtd885 Senior Member Hallandale Beach/Cudjoe Key FlPosts: 1,159 Officer
    sunflower wrote: »

Guys ...

I said: "Temple Fork says they will replace it with one with a big butt next week."

There is no problem to be solved.

They are the best in the business as far as warranty is concerned. I was told by one of the partners that their objective was to send out a replacement rod the day it was received. Given the fact that there is an upgrade in the works I think it speaks very well of them to offer a replacement. Kudo’s to TFO! PS I really like the BVK’s.
  • deerflydeerfly Senior Member Posts: 818 Officer
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra

... ahhh

a little Freddie!

Mark

• Permit RatPermit Rat Senior Member Stuart, Fla., Veracruz, Mx.Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I was digging through my old rod building cr*p the other day and came across an old FOMAC "Ugh-button." Bob....you remember those? Must have at least a 2 1/2 inch diameter on it and I put them on all our wreck and big fish fly rods. Back then, it was the ONLY way to go. How much you gimme for it Bob? :wink
    .......Rick
    P.S. I took the 12-weight out wednesday and did some casting. I had a sinking line, a tarpon fly, and about a 15 mph wind. I drifted acros a bay, just trying to see how it cast. The new design ("Mangrove series") seemed awesome. It was very easy to cast, even into the wind directly. I got hit by a ladyfish on almost every cast, though only a few hooked up on the big cockroach fly. I think I'm going to like it just fine.

Mark

• Bob1shBob1sh Member Posts: 43 Deckhand
    How would you compare their warranty to Orvis'? I've been looking at a Clearwater now and the main reason was the nice size fight-butt.. Roughly the same price, Orvis might be cheaper by a few bucks, and I've owned Orvis in the past with excellent warranty experiences.
    I've never owned an Orvis. TFO warranty is idiot-proof: break it, and for $50 they replace it. If Orvis is free, it's better.

Mark

• nightflynightfly Senior Member naples,flPosts: 506 Officer
    sunflower wrote: »
    I've never owned an Orvis. TFO warranty is idiot-proof: break it, and for $50 they replace it. If Orvis is free, it's better.

It's $50 now? It use to be $25.
    You are right!

My bad.

$25

Mark

• nightflynightfly Senior Member naples,flPosts: 506 Officer
    Cool. TFO service has been great. I hope they never up the price of replacements
  • DogmanDogman Senior Member Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, FlaPosts: 450 Deckhand
    Mark have you received the new butt section yet? If so would you mind taking a picture and posting it. Thanks.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Mark

• NSByakNSByak Senior Member Posts: 424 Officer
    I will second their service. A friend bought a cheap TFO off ebay, and didn't read the ad very well. Tip was broken. They replaced it without question for the normal $25 and he had a rod in a few days. Nobody else will be getting my money on fly rods. Cheap than most, great service, and a great product over all. Add to it the fact that they can admit a mistake and are willing to make it right...I don't see how you can go wrong.