Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Fly Fishing spots near Jacksonville & Saint Augustine

jack001jack001 Junior MemberSaint Augustine. FLPosts: 13 Deckhand
I have been fly fishing for trout in Minnesota. Now I am in south Jacksonville area. Last couple of months I have been Fly Fishing
for Redfish, Black drum, spackle trout etc. I do not have a boat or Kayak. I do wading. So far I am fishing at Palm Valley under
the bridge or at Guana River Dam.
I am looking for other spots; I will be doing wading and don’t mind walking to good spots. Please recommend spots in Jacksonville and Saint Augustine area.

Replies

• jack001jack001 Junior Member Saint Augustine. FLPosts: 13 Deckhand
    BUMP any spots ?
  • mprudemprude Junior Member Posts: 20 Deckhand
    Well I'll try to help. Matanzas Inlet area. Headed south on A1A go across the inlet and then over another bridge. There's a residential area just after that bridge on the right and a Saint John's County Park there. (can't remember the name of it) Walk as far as you can and the rock jetty ends, that entire area holds trout when its cold. The warmer it gets the more boats jam up in there and its not as great, but early mornings can be good too. Should be a really good weekend there, very early.
  • buddy dbuddy d Senior Member Posts: 141 Deckhand
    http://www.fcff.org/
    Check out the site
    Meetings every month
    Lots of info onthe forum and in person
    Buddy Thanks I have tried that board which is restrictive. Cannot see much of information unless registered and the board administrative need to activate the account. I registered at end of January 2013, my account is still not active. Send few reminders to administrator but no response. Gus they do not want new participant.
    Thanks mprude
    I was in that area this afternoon. This is just after the second bridge, make right and there is dirt road that brings you under the bridge. it hold lot of water, is that right area? When I went there it was low tied so water level was low.
    Sorry, I meant counting the bridge over matanzas inlet as bridge number one, so go over the next bridge and turn into the gated community. Before the gates you'll see the dirt road. I think the area you went to was whats left of the Summer Haven River, not much life in there anymore.

I looked on the saint john's county website for the park and couldn't find it. Check out google maps. When you do find it, park as far as you can park and walk as far as you can walk, almost to the actual Fort Matanzas.
    Mprude
    Here is the map of the inlet. I parked at # 1 spot near the second bridge , walked to spot # 2 and # 3
    Is this area as you described ?
    yup, why can't I ever get google maps to copy?

Summer island drive is what you're looking for. go all the way to the end to the big rocks. Walk north along the rock jetty till it ends. From the end of the rock jetty to the sandy point is the flat that holds trout, although you can catch the occasional trout along the jetty. Water is pretty shallow. I always wade waist deep or so.

Usually a couple of other fly fishermen there at day break, all of which are super nice guys and willing to help.
    Is the Summer Island Drive a gated community or it is open to public?
    I did not really paid attention to that residential area.
    Hope I can get some time off in next couple of days so I can go fishing there.
    Yes it is a gated community, but when you turn in, before the gates, there's a dirt road that goes straight. Thats the entrance to the park.

Good luck.
    mprude
    Thanks for the tip. I was there this morning , parked the car at end of that dirt road.Then walked along the jetty into sandy area almost to the Fort Matanzas. I was only 50 yards away from the fort. I was there about 8 am. Caught a little trout in that area. Then I fished around the sandy area got another small trout.Then I went to the other side (Intercostal Waterway). There were few Dolphins there. I started fishing , These Dolphins were active chasing drums and trouts . I almost got knocked by a Dolphin. This Dolphin was chasing a good size trout, in that excitement the Dolphin came close about 1 feet from me. He was swimming very fast . That was highlight of my day. Just after that I caught a big trout , unfortunately trout broke my tippet. By this time it was 10:30 am and end of my fishing as I needed to be at work. Overall it was good experience. I will fish that area again.

How often do you fish in that area?
    I'm super dad to 3 kids including a 2 year old...don't fish it as much as I would like.

Sounds like a great trip though, glad I could help.
  • njnf71njnf71 Junior Member Jax FlPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    I'm fairly new to fly fishing too. Have you tried surf fishing for redfish during the fall mullet run? It is not for everyone and can be very difficult. It has taken me a year to finally catch my first one. PM me for details.