None report offshore SI 3/22

Went out to look for some cobia and started to the north we did manage to hook one off a turle but he came undone and that was it for the day. we went as far north as sat beach out to 70 feet the water temp was between 69 and 71 all day. did not even see one ray. I talked to a lot of people and not a whole lot was caught, a few small fins and no cobia. hopefully it will pick up soon.

Replies

• smithbama1221smithbama1221 Posts: 271 Officer
    We went out of PC yesterday (3/23) and went as far East as Pelican Flats....quite a few guys were catching kings out there. No cobia. Went as far South as Melbourne Beach......didn't see any freeswimmers, turtles, rays, or cobia. Did see a turtle with ONE cobia on it near PAFB in about 60 ft and he did what he was supposed to do and ate my jig.....only to literally spit it out right next to the boat. That was it! Did manage one trip.

On a side note...the FWC were at the ramp checking everyone and VERY thoroughly I might add. I'm glad to see them because if I'm following the rules I want everyone else to follow them too. The one officer said he caught someone with a short cobia hid on Friday. Oh well.....hopefully the cobia will start picking up. If the water would warm up! It was 66 degrees at 3 pm in 50 ft of water......wth?
    '
    Tight lines y'all.......just rolling with the Tide!
  • integritypestintegritypest Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Yeah we were the ones with the short half an inch little confusion guy measured 36 at tail 32and 1/2 at fork our mistake just sucked to see the fish go to waste...gonna measure three times instead of twice from now on
    btw it wasnt hid we told him we had caught it and told him he could check it we thoght we were fine
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Gotta check the regs. often the way things change and make sure which fish are measured total vs fork length. Also keep in mind that after all day or even half a day on ice they shrink by 1/4 to 1/2" depending on size etc.
    Also heard divers are shooting triple tail inside three miles. Wish FWC would check that out. Hate fishing buoys that have been shot out by poachers.
  • Stalker1211Stalker1211 Posts: 149 Officer
    Glad a few people are finding Cobes, and that you found decent temps! Went out to the 480's out of PC and only found 71 degree water! No phins, no Cobia, didn't try for Kings, had one knock down while high speed trolling and brought home a few AJ's.

Not a whole lot happening out there.
  • smithbama1221smithbama1221 Posts: 271 Officer
    Yeah we were the ones with the short half an inch little confusion guy measured 36 at tail 32and 1/2 at fork our mistake just sucked to see the fish go to waste...gonna measure three times instead of twice from now on

Hey....sorry about that. I was not trying to throw you under the bus. He told me he found a short "hidden" and now he is checking even harder. Maybe yours wasn't the one he was talking about. Anyhow, I appreciate your candor. Good luck out there y'all....it's tough as all get out!
    Tight lines y'all.......just rolling with the Tide!
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    saltybum wrote: »
    Gotta check the regs. often the way things change and make sure which fish are measured total vs fork length. Also keep in mind that after all day or even half a day on ice they shrink by 1/4 to 1/2" depending on size etc.
    Also heard divers are shooting triple tail inside three miles. Wish FWC would check that out. Hate fishing buoys that have been shot out by poachers.

:banghead
    Hey no worries we made a mistake and paid the 330 dollar fine lesson learned worst part like i said was knowing the fish would go to waste he had to go destroy it
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,273 AG
    Hey no worries we made a mistake and paid the 330 dollar fine lesson learned worst part like i said was knowing the fish would go to waste he had to go destroy it

Mistakes get made....You pay your fine and move on....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,282 Officer
    agreed, but $330 does seem harsh.
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 303 Deckhand

I wonder if the officers take the fish home? I'd have a cooler in trunk of my patrol vehicle.
    Sorry you had to go thru that.
  • Holy SmokesHoly Smokes Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Got out cheap on that one! Usually you get a mandatory court date?
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Up here the food is donated to the homeless shelter.
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,273 AG
    abovebored wrote: »
    agreed, but $330 does seem harsh.

As odd as it sounds...fine amounts vary from one county to the next.... a violation that is $330 in Brevard...is $155 in Indian River county.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    I wonder if the officers take the fish home? I'd have a cooler in trunk of my patrol vehicle.
    Sorry you had to go thru that.

He actually told us that he had to go find some one to witness him destroying the meat...that they cant donate it cause they cant vouch for how it was handled ie might be poisoned... lol The more i think about it i think that when it is an honest mistake and the officer feels that it was i think you should be able to keep the meat... would be the most expensive cobia at 330 dollars but atleast its not wasting a perfectly good eating fish just my 2 cents