Spruce Creek 3/21 and double report

Had a couple chances to fish Spruce Creek this month, once from shore and once from a kayak.

Went out on a cold night an hour before high slack tide. Went to the first bridge on US1 if you're coming from NS. threw gulp baits on a jig for an hour or so with no strikes, worked the inside of the bridge, outside up tide, outside downtide. Nothing on the jig. Threw a topwater out there and got two of the fattest lady fish I've ever seen, but it's hard to get excited about catching lady fish. Tide turned right at 1 AM and I switched to the outgoing side of the bridge. Threw the same top water and about 15 minutes later, BAM! Big trout that put up a hell of a fight. Picture doesn't do it justice, she shrank up a little bit after I Put her on ice.

Fished Spruce Creek yesterday from 9AM-8PM in my kayak. Word Oyster beds with live bait and nabbed Trout and Ladies. Spent most of the Day looking for Reds with no luck. Near sunset the wind lay down and it was glass. We paddle up strickland bay and worked docks. Caught more Trout, Jack, and some nice Mangrove Snapper. Hooked into a Red on the flat while trolling a paddletail on the way back to Spruce Creek but lost it. Really disappointed we went home without a red. If anyone has any tips for targeting reds in the area please share.

Tight Lines

Replies

• Bdreams26Bdreams26 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    the reds are not always there, things like crabs, baitfish and shrimp drawl them in with the tides, the ladyfish are always there!!!! I've fished the area for 10 years and can't figure the redfish patterns out. This is usually when they start showing up though late march.

Live bait will prob catch more numbers of reds when they aren't a lot of them around, i've soaked some cut mullet and landed some nice ones on the oysters bar edges with some tide flow

how big was the red? the biggest i've caught back there is prob 36" thousands of rats to get that one
  • Orlando Key LargoOrlando Key Largo Posts: 113 Officer
    Yeah we live baited within mullet and shrimp with no luck with reds. Never saw the red I hooked into, just felt it. Thanks for the info about the area.
  • Capt.LinesidahCapt.Linesidah Posts: 36 Deckhand
    buddy its called Mosquito Lagoon. It's about 30 mins south... you'll never fish SC again.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    buddy its called Mosquito Lagoon. It's about 30 mins south... you'll never fish SC again.
    yup!

Yeah went there two days before we hit spruce creek. The Reds were as finicky as they get. We threw everything we could at them, only hooked into one on cut mullet. Anyways, we fished spruce creek to get away from the 20+ mph wind
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    Yeah went there two days before we hit spruce creek. The Reds were as finicky as they get. We threw everything we could at them, only hooked into one on cut mullet. Anyways, we fished spruce creek to get away from the 20+ mph wind

With the exception of flying a kite, is anything fun in the wind?
    tuna man wrote: »
    With the exception of flying a kite, is anything fun in the wind?

Well from experience, I would say no... can't wait for March to be over and to get some warm april weather
  • Bdreams26Bdreams26 Posts: 3 Greenhorn

Caught a 10lb Gator Trout just east of the middle bridge at sunset on topwater, he pulled me into oysters, 5 foot deep mangrove lines trying to cut me, 100x harder than a flats fight. at least 6 minutes to land in current.

i'll drive from orlando to spruce creek ANYDAY....the lagoon is the most overrated body of water, I prefer close combat fishing not wide open fights where you can paddle/pole up to the fish hooked, nothing like fighting a huge fish in ripping current with just the Trolling Motor. If I fish west of the bridges I won't see any boats all day and I get 2 bays and a creek to myself to work however I need to work them.

ML: you spend most of the day chasing redfish in the lagoon you have to have a boat that can cover the whole area because fish are only in a small % of the water. idiots from all over the world drive fast in water too shallow, redfish spook if you drop a hook, not to mention being around other boats in general.

tidal creeks have less area for fish to roam.. if you fish spruce creek you'll never fish the goon lagoon again IMO (totally opp of you), you guys have fun catching only reds and trout while i get the snook redfish trout tarpon doormats all by myself on the tidal creeks and flats :) no boats passing by or anything just me and nature and the tide rushing.

JUST KIDDING.....LAGOON IS THE ONLY PLACE REDFISH LIVE OP!

-fishing brevard/volusia 22 years, have been billions of times to all the known ramps, caught more fish in the creeks than all 3 lagoons
    Bdreams26 wrote: »
    Caught a 10lb Gator Trout just east of the middle bridge at sunset on topwater, he pulled me into oysters, 5 foot deep mangrove lines trying to cut me, 100x harder than a flats fight. at least 6 minutes to land in current.

i'll drive from orlando to spruce creek ANYDAY....the lagoon is the most overrated body of water, I prefer close combat fishing not wide open fights where you can paddle/pole up to the fish hooked, nothing like fighting a huge fish in ripping current with just the Trolling Motor. If I fish west of the bridges I won't see any boats all day and I get 2 bays and a creek to myself to work however I need to work them.

ML: you spend most of the day chasing redfish in the lagoon you have to have a boat that can cover the whole area because fish are only in a small % of the water. idiots from all over the world drive fast in water too shallow, redfish spook if you drop a hook, not to mention being around other boats in general.

tidal creeks have less area for fish to roam.. if you fish spruce creek you'll never fish the goon lagoon again IMO (totally opp of you), you guys have fun catching only reds and trout while i get the snook redfish trout tarpon doormats all by myself on the tidal creeks and flats :) no boats passing by or anything just me and nature and the tide rushing.

JUST KIDDING.....LAGOON IS THE ONLY PLACE REDFISH LIVE OP!

-fishing brevard/volusia 22 years, have been billions of times to all the known ramps, caught more fish in the creeks than all 3 lagoons

Yeah I love the mixed bag of fish you can catch in spruce creek. Really want to learn how to target tarpon and snook in there. If you're ever free and feel like showing a young fisherman how to work that area please let me know. I'm dying to fish that area with a veteran who knows what he's doing