Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Suggestions for fishing in Destin-first week in April? Coming over from Jax

Hello,
Coming from Jacksonville to stay in Destin the weekend of April 6th -7th and hoping to do some fishing while I'm there. It'll be myself and the GF and we'd like to fish Saturday or Sunday depending on availability. I've never spent time in Destin so I'm really looking forward to it but have no idea as to charter availability, boat rental,etc.
1) Any suggestions on charters for cobia or other offshore fishing that are reasonable? Not sure if the gulf coast **** have your offshore bottom fishery as regulated as ours is off of NE Florida, so cobia may be the only option as far as fish you can legally keep at that time.
2) Hows the inshore fishery there? Reds,trout, flounder,etc? I love fishing inshore almost as much as offshore so any suggestions for a charter for that would be appreciated.
3) Would renting a boat be a good idea as I don't know the patterns there and don't want to spend what little time we have hunting for bottom spots,etc.
4) Any must-do spots or places to see while we're there? I've heard nothing but good things about the town so I know we won't be bored but would appreciate any knowledgable insight from you as the locals.

Tight lines and any help is appreciated. I'd be happy to help out any Panhandle members should you come to Jax at any point during the year, as our fishery is excellent year round both inshore and offshore.

Mark
1987 261 Mako CC twin 2006 175hp Suzuki four strokes
1978 14' Seanymph 15 hp Evinrude

Replies

• catdad100catdad100 Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Got a friend thats inshore and nearshore guide I can hook you up with thats an awesome fisherman and if its offshore you can keep red grouper,scamp just not gags then(I think)and vermillion snapper(callem mingos locally),triggerfish,ajs,mangrove snapper(aka black snapper)king,spanish,etc.plus red porgy(aka silver snapper)and I can refer you to several good boats depending on 6 pack or head boat?

http://www.myfwc.com/media/2111581/saltwater_seasons_chart_gulf.pdf

the Inshore Guide is L.W.Burroughs and his number is 850-585-7173

and for regular offshore charter I recommend Mike Eller of Lady Em at 850-837-6717 and for most economical and can usually call the day before and show up the next and get on his party boat call Cliff Cox of Sweet Jody 850- 650-2500 Both of them are good captains with great reps. Both of them can be looked up online if you want more info before you call.
    Southern Charm 26ft. World Cat Center Console:cool:
  • loweballzloweballz Posts: 216 Officer
    Thanks Catdad for the contacts and insight, much appreciated.

I'll call L.W. today and check on his availability. Looks like inshore or nearshore will be what we do , or party boat, as I see the offshore prices will be a bit much for the two of us unless we hook up with another party.

I'd have a good time on a party boat I think as I've only been on one once in 2003, might be kind of nice having someone else dealing with all the fun of navigating and keeping people happy for a full day! All I'd have to do is sit back, catch some fish, and drink some cold beer. Doesn't sound bad at all!
    loweballz wrote: »
    Thanks Catdad for the contacts and insight, much appreciated.

I'll call L.W. today and check on his availability. Looks like inshore or nearshore will be what we do , or party boat, as I see the offshore prices will be a bit much for the two of us unless we hook up with another party.

I'd have a good time on a party boat I think as I've only been on one once in 2003, might be kind of nice having someone else dealing with all the fun of navigating and keeping people happy for a full day! All I'd have to do is sit back, catch some fish, and drink some cold beer. Doesn't sound bad at all!

L.W.has a 22ft pathfinder bay boat with all the bells and whisltes he won the captains award year before last and captains calcutta this year in the Destin Rodeo, he can put you on monster trout(won with 6lb trout last 2 years),redfish or flounder and if its a smooth day he take you offshore but he is an ace on the inshore stuff and Cliff Cox has won the captains award the last two years for party boat div.by a good margin and Ive got a buddy that says he has tried them all and cant beat that one.
  • loweballzloweballz Posts: 216 Officer
    Thanks again for the suggestions.

I think we're going to go on the Sweet Jody on Saturday after looking at all options, as I get to fish inshore quite a bit over here for reds , trout, and flounder. The Sweet Jody seems like a nice option after talkign with Heather in their office. Nice easy,less expensive, cold beverage, fish catching filled day hopefully. I'll post a report after we get off the boat.
    Awesome looking foward to report and you are probably spoiled on inshore fishing over there a good friend (he is the tall dude in my profile pic)used to fish the flw and redfish cup and fished all over florida and said jacksonville was his favorite place to fish said he never had troulbe finding fat reds plus big trout and flounder.
  • destin charterboatdestin charterboat Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    On the 5th and 6th of april there is a cobia tournament at hogs breath in Destin. If you get the chance you should go to the weigh-ins. I will be fishing on the Un Reel wish us luck.