Desoto Angling

Inspired by Cody's recent beatdown that he put on the redfish over at Desoto, I decided to see if I could catch a few reds too. Fifty-three miles, $4.50 in tolls, $6 for ramp fee and an 1/8 of a tank of gas later, I made it to the launch. I put in at 12:30pm and headed over to Sawyer Key. I trolled over a pothole and at least 20 trout scattered. What I ended up doing during the day was circling Sawyer Key twice with a trek just north of there also. I mostly fished 1'-5' in depth and focused on sandy areas with a decent grass mix whenever possible. I did work docks close by but had no luck on them. Water temp was 69-74. The weather was great and mullet were everywhere. This place was alive with activity. Saw a number of sharks too. Here is a breakdown of the day:

12:46pm - 11" trout on the 3" RT Mullet in redfish color
1pm - Nice little pompano (I believe) on the same lure

1:07pm - Lost a nice trout on the spook
1:34pm - 15 1/2" trout on the spook
1:50pm - 15 3/4" redfish on the 3" redfish color
2:35pm - 25" redfish on the 3" redfish color

3pm - 28" redfish on the same lure. Great strike and fight.

3:22pm - Lost about an 18" red at the boat on the same lure
3:25pm - 14 3/4" trout on the same lure
3:40pm - 21" trout on the same lure

4:25pm - 17 3/4" redfish on the same lure
4:35pm - 20 1/2" trout on the same lure

The wind picked up and there was a chill in the air. The bite seemed to shut down and it got tough. Mullet activity dropped of significantly. The tide was moving out also.

6:49pm - A small troutlet
7:44pm - 14 1/2" trout on the 3" mullet in chartreuse and gold flake

I had a few strikes after that but no hookups. I tried a couple of other areas but they were very shallow. By now it was dark and I headed for the ramp. It was a pretty good day. I wanted to catch some reds and was lucky enough to catch a few. There were very few fisherman there today. I wish I lived closer so I could fish it more often.
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    Nice
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,391 Admiral
    Nice fish on arties !
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    What?? No slam? You suck! LOLOLOLOLOL
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,248 Officer
    Thanks guys. LOL Yea Barry. Slam denied. Maybe next time.
  • Regular_guy0215Regular_guy0215 Posts: 119 Officer
    Awesome job man!!!!!!! God I needa take the boat up there and learn that area. All I hear is good things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]24ft custom re-built Tcraft. Runs shallow as hell and rides smooooth.

PROUD VETERAN. Now PLEASE help support a much less known organization called SOWF. (Special operations warrior foundation). Great group of people for such a great cause. Their website is www.specialops.org. :USA
  • Too LooseToo Loose Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Great to hear your catching them that late in the day... There is usually the boat traffic is so heavy around that time; all the fish get real spooky.

Nice Fish.
    Thanks guys. Desoto is a very nice place to fish.
  • RAPNJARRAPNJAR Posts: 108 Officer
    Good report
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,038 Captain
    Nice job and report as always. I know being unemployed sucks but man you make it look like a vacation!
  • tpintatpinta Posts: 174 Officer
    Is that a get smoked shirt you're wearing? My buddy Craig is the owner of that company.
    2012 SeaHunt Ultra
    TJ
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Nice catch!
    Yea being unemployed is a terrible feeling. I go fishing to take my mind off of my situation. It is my salvation. I don't think I could remain sane without this wonderful sport.

Yea it is a Get Smoked shirt. It is my lucky shirt and I have caught many big fish while wearing it.

Thanks guys.