Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trolling spots advice

I know it's early but a few trips under my belt this month has got the fire burning. I've never really done much trolling but am planning to try some this year. Was wondering when and where is a good time to start making these trips. I'm outta pcb and I'd like to stay within 10-15 miles. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• Mryin334Mryin334 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Side note, I'd like to target wahoos, sails, and blackfins. I can get all the kings I want around the bouys so if like to try some different species
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,236 Moderator
    All of those species can happen at that range from the pass. Problem is, your best tactic is probably to simply go fish for kings and hope for one as by catch.

A lot of times we will see some sails and blackfin follow the bait right up to the beach in the spring. So that's just around the corner!

For the most part, the best bet those species at those distances will simply be time on the water!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    P 80 is right.. go deep and hang around wrecks and reefs. troll a couple flat lines and some deep planers. You can also drift some structure with some live runners on flat lines. Also think of anchoring over a structure and chum while setting out your flat lines, and drop rigs.
    I can go further. I just thought that if I'm learning to troll that it would be more fuel efficient to do it closure. I'd hate to waste 100 gallons of fuel on a trip and not know how to even set out a spread
    When you are setting up your trip is there any spots in particular you like to fish? I heard the ghost and the Chippewa is good spots. Is there any others you guys particular like or is that secret? I can understand if it is
    I would pay more attention to depth or ledges and water temps.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    yeah, unless you are going a long way.. ie alaska or sqiuggles... it is a crap shoot. We have caught wahoo closer as well as dolphin and tuna, but it is hard to hang your hat on a trip like that. I like to troll to the bottom spots, and as said above, then have flat lines ready for the possible pelagic
    :fishing:grin
  • WhiteArvilWhiteArvil Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Sound advice from Panhandler and split shot. I'd add that as until seawater temps get closer to 70 deg, best bet might be to anchor on inshore wrecks and freeline for migrating cobia after setting a good chum slick. I like to stop by whistle or data bouys out of PC and get bait, but I make a couple of passes trolling as usually good place to pick up kings. Last year saw a lot of Sargassum weed lines and we picked up nice dolphin, kings, and tuna around them.
    The bouys is where I usually flat line for kings. Usually it's a slaughter. I got a blackfin last year flat lining around the bout but I've never caught any sails, wahoo, or big dolphin. Seems like everything I read is telling me these fish need to be trolled for success. That is what has brought trolling to my attention. I just don't wanta waste gas since its up to $4.50 on the water.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    There was a push early spring last year that brought sails and black fin. However, that was mostly due to a big push of warm water from our south west. The folks that were hooking sails and bft were all flat lining.

Like Split Shot said above, I would pay more attention to the water temps and focus there. Even then its a crap shoot at best.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Are tide lines any good to consider?
    If you can find a green to blue break, or a spot where two other open bodies of water meet, then fish it by all means. If it's a bay to gulf break you can just about forget the species you are talking about. Better off sending a sabiki down for hard tails and then find some good water to live bait them. Those tide lines will have bonito, jack crevalle, red fish, king and Spanish, though.

The reason people troll for the species you are after is because they are for the most part blue water critters. In that environment, you need to covert lots of ground to find them in that desert... Hence the troll technique. If they are inshore where you are talking about fishing it I'd because blue.water is close in and bait is abundant. Since your not in super deep water like offshore, you can make the most of the relief on the bottom to break the uniformity of things. Off shore where water is right all the time you troll to cover distance and focus on tips, weed lines, temp breaks etc. inshore it's almost pure luck.. Which is why most come on a flat line near healthy bottom which is your structure just like a weed line would be way off shore.

Time on the water and having a line out in fishy area is your best bet... Plus some luck. One exception to this that I have found is with the wahoo... I don't know what kind of boat you have or what speeds it will run at, but there are lots of lures out there that pull well up to 18 knots or do and you can drag them on fairly simple tackle. Pulling a Panhandler (sold at half hitch) style lure between spots could easily result in wahoo atty very close range from pass. It's just am odds game though. Enough times times and you'll eventually catch one, but would I go do that all day? Hell no.
    Now that answer is exactly what I'm looking for panhandler. Thank you. I'm gonna take that as valuable info for this pelagic newbie.

To answer the boat question you mentioned.... I have a 28ft century cc with twin 150s. As far as gear goes I bought some loomis pelagic rods and penn 30swv ( I think that's the correct model). They are lined up and ready for trial and error which is exactly what this sounds like its gonna be. I'm totally ok with that. I love to ride as much as I love to fish and this is a way I can do both.

My plan of attack here is going to be trolling for kings first. Ill get the feel of putting out a spread and setting hooks after the bite. Once I learn a lil I think I'll take it out deeper. Try to catch some good weed lines at 20miles plus. It's still early in the season so I should have plenty of time to learn a few new skills before the June grass comes in. Thanks for all the advise guys. Much appreciated.
    Now on to the next question I have....what's some good baits to pull and any color preferences?
    Pan's the man! :fishing

well done

Now if the weather would cooperate. I'm so ready to get out!

oh...one favorite color is purple when running deep.
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 800 Officer
    High speed trolling out of PC is a hit and missing thing. At times when you go blue you might get 4 or 5 knockdowns all day. At other times you may go all day with zero knockdowns it's just at crap shot at best. But on the other side it may be your lucky day. jmo
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Mryin334 wrote: »
    Now on to the next question I have....what's some good baits to pull and any color preferences?

Kings - stretch 30's, dusters, naked hard tails on a down rigger
    Others - stretch 30's, islanders, yozuri Bonita's
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • matchdahatchmatchdahatch Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Don't forget ballyhoo, I troll all the time in PC and we always have a ballyhoo on the shotgun. If you want to join us this year and help us learn, join panama city fishing group on facebook. We are waiting for the kings already, Spanish are holding up 2 miles off shore in huge schools off PCB, last year we had several mahi in March but that was unusual. BF and sails are definitely summer and later in normal conditions.
  • scrapmanscrapman Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Is there any good areas within a couple of miles from pcb? Going to be down there in a month and we are planning on renting a boat but we can't go out past 3 miles out. Any help would be appreciated!
  • matchdahatchmatchdahatch Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    As said before the buoy line or car bodies off mexico beach or fountain bleu about halfway down PCB.
    Mryin334 wrote: »
    Now that answer is exactly what I'm looking for panhandler. Thank you. I'm gonna take that as valuable info for this pelagic newbie.

To answer the boat question you mentioned.... I have a 28ft century cc with twin 150s. As far as gear goes I bought some loomis pelagic rods and penn 30swv ( I think that's the correct model). They are lined up and ready for trial and error which is exactly what this sounds like its gonna be. I'm totally ok with that. I love to ride as much as I love to fish and this is a way I can do both.

My plan of attack here is going to be trolling for kings first. Ill get the feel of putting out a spread and setting hooks after the bite. Once I learn a lil I think I'll take it out deeper. Try to catch some good weed lines at 20miles plus. It's still early in the season so I should have plenty of time to learn a few new skills before the June grass comes in. Thanks for all the advise guys. Much appreciated.

You don't need to do any hook setting practice. Set your reels drag the same way as though you were fighting the fish, maybe a touch less. Stick in rod holder. He will do just fine hooking himself. Simply pick up the rod and go to playing the fish.

As far as spreads go... Two heavy leads, downrigher, planer closest to boat. Next moderate depth and out a little more... An 8 oz lead, or lipped plug. Then one or two lines with little weight... An oz or so... Maybe a weighted skirt ahead of a cigar minnow. farthest out something real light... Naked balthoo or cigar, or cedar plug.

With this set up when you turn your longest bait swings over the next nearest, which swings over the next nearest, etc. Keep your deep lines real close to boat.