Home Tropics

Deep Dropping Bimini - Suggestions

oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 529 Officer
Any suggestions for general areas.

Will be going late July/first week in August.

Appreciate the responses

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    700' seems to be where I see most guys.. Some at 1100...
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 529 Officer
    Compleat wrote: »
    700' seems to be where I see most guys.. Some at 1100...

Thanks. North or South of Bimini, or straight out front ?
    Cytranic wrote: »
    What are you targeting?

Yellow eyes and Mystics and in the 700-800

Queen snappers are in 1200 if you can find them.

Huge groupers are off the north end of Cat Cay if you can hook them long enough to pull them out of the rocks in about 800

New to dropping so just looking for any species.

Do appreciate the depth reference.
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    Keep an eye on the drop off on the finder. Try to get off the beaten path so you get on yellow eyes larger than a just legal yellowtail. I have deep dropped in the middle of no where and caught huge yellow eyes. It's worth searching for.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    I'll say thanks too. I am building a rod right now and plan to buy a reel when I get down there next weekend.
    2003 Viking 45C
    Keep an eye on the drop off on the finder. Try to get off the beaten path so you get on yellow eyes larger than a just legal yellowtail. I have deep dropped in the middle of no where and caught huge yellow eyes. It's worth searching for.

Thanks for the tip.

General direction to go out of Big Game Club ?
  • Cytranic wrote: »
    What are you targeting?

Yellow eyes and Mystics and in the 700-800

Queen snappers are in 1200 if you can find them.

Huge groupers are off the north end of Cat Cay if you can hook them long enough to pull them out of the rocks in about 800

Cytranic, you give out any more information on that spot, and I will disconnect the battery in your boat and turn the dock hose on!

Next time you deep drop with me, there will be blinders!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    oldtimer wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip.

General direction to go out of Big Game Club ?

Run past South Bimini down to about Turtle Rocks and Piquet Rocks in 660. Look for a small spit of land with one scruffy little tree (maybe 2). Drop with squid straight out from that in 660....... we got some yelloweyes there.......

Don't discount regular dropping with tipped jigs in 150-250....... if you enjoy eating fat strawberrys that will run 16-20 inches. Look for rocky bottom and just drift and jig.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Gary makes a good point. We filled a five gallon bucket with mixed stuff in 90-120 in about 30 minutes after a slow day trolling today...
    Thanks good to know that.
    Gary M wrote: »
    Don't discount regular dropping with tipped jigs in 150-250....... if you enjoy eating fat strawberrys that will run 16-20 inches. Look for rocky bottom and just drift and jig.

And if you think/plan to do that, bring at least 8-10-12 jigs as you will lose a few....... depending on how much you fish in shallower. We ran out of jigs once with a day to go in Bimini but found a guy to trade wire leader for more jigs! But, that taught us our lesson....
    Gary M wrote: »
    And if you think/plan to do that, bring at least 8-10-12 jigs as you will lose a few....... depending on how much you fish in shallower. We ran out of jigs once with a day to go in Bimini but found a guy to trade wire leader for more jigs! But, that taught us our lesson....

Thanks Gary.

Will do. Have a bunch of older ones that will suit this purpose.
    And when you rig them, you'll have 2 choices: mono or wire. More hits with mono, but more losses as well......

Don't forget your Report when you get back too!
    Would you suggest a trace of wire ?

How long and what size ?

Will gladly post a report... Hopefully with some good catches to show.
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I'd give more tips but apparently I wont ever have a boat to fish with anymore.

I'll buy you a new one.

That friendly reminder post was hilarious.... :):);)