Possession limits

10kman10kman Posts: 420 Deckhand
Has the DNR considered putting in possesion limits on fish?
I live in SW Fl.and every spring thousands of snowbirds head
north with a great deal of frozen fish fillets.
One snowbird family I visited last summer said we got sick
and tired of eating all that fish and besides we threw away
alot of it out because it was freezer burnt.
A sensible possession limit might consist of three times
daily limit with all fish having a daily limit.Also must leave
patch of skin on to identify fish.

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    There is a 2 day possession limit while transporting on land now, fresh or frozen. but very few know it.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    There is a 2 day possession limit while transporting on land now, fresh or frozen. but very few know it.
    That's news to me.To date I have never heard of an arrest for exceeding possession limit.Awaiting answer from DNR.
    This is coppied from the FWC site ask fwc,

2) Bag limits apply only to licensed or legally exempt anglers and not to a boat or fishing party. In other words, bag limits are not shared.
    3) If the angler has actually fished for two days, and is at a base camp or on a house boat the possession limit* applies. However, you cannot collect a bag limit, drop it off and return to fishing on the same day (based on midnight to midnight).
    4) Once the fish are processed and placed in a freezer (not a cooler) at a residence (e.g., their permanent home, a mobile home or motel catering to anglers), they become a food product. From that point on there is no longer a limit on them. So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport someplace else, they can exceed the possession limit.
    The way I read it as long as the fish are at home in a freezer there is no limit as to how much fish you are allowed to have. But once you put them back on ice to transport up north or anywhere you can exceed the posession limit.

As for enforcing the law, how often have you been stopped on a trip anywhere without a boat and been checked for fish quantities?
  • Roc N Rol wrote: »
    The way I read it as long as the fish are at home in a freezer there is no limit as to how much fish you are allowed to have. But once you put them back on ice to transport up north or anywhere you can exceed the posession limit.

As for enforcing the law, how often have you been stopped on a trip anywhere without a boat and been checked for fish quantities?

Read it again!

Says "So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport someplace else, they can exceed the possession limit.

That means no possession limits apply. "They can exceed the possession limits."
    Yeah it can read that way to.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Pretty sure that is from the freshwater section. I had the same question and could not find any answers under saltwater regs. Further, how would they verify what species of fish it was? Once you have fileted it and put it into freezer bags there is really no way to confirm the species (for most fish). You also couldn't confirm how many fish the actual filets came from
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It is all in the interpretation of how it reads, I think Ron is right as it reads once they have been processed and put in the freezer there is no longer a limit on them as they are food, and once you put them in a cooler on ice, you are allowed to transport as much frozen fish as you want