pest squirrels with air rifle

snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Officer
As I've searched over and over I could not find specific laws or rules on backyard pests. I have a horrible problem with squirrels here at my home. I am in a residential community in Martin county. I plan to use a .177 1625fps air rifle. Can I or not kill these pest squirrels in my yard? What's the law about it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,866 Captain
    You need to check local ordinances it's probably not a statewide thing.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Officer
    I live in unincorporated Martin County, which I have not found anything on ordinances about such rules on killing squirrels with air guns. I was assume State laws supersede county ordinances in wildlife/gun rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoCardsGoCards Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Have you thought about trapping? I've caught squirrels in my attic, my neighbors garden, my parents attic. They are fairly easy critters to trap. If you're not going to eat the meat, no sense shooting them. If it's squirrel season eat em or trap em and ask a local exterminator where you can take them.
    GoCards wrote: »
    Have you thought about trapping? I've caught squirrels in my attic, my neighbors garden, my parents attic. They are fairly easy critters to trap. If you're not going to eat the meat, no sense shooting them. If it's squirrel season eat em or trap em and ask a local exterminator where you can take them.

Trapping them has became a revolving door. Where there's one, there's many and it never stops. My mango trees, my orange trees, my house, my garden, my bird feeders, my pets tearing the screens apart, and my patience to keep trapping is up. I don't like to kill wildlife other then when I go fishing but enough is enough and have to do something to take control over my property. Unless I can contract someone to send in a fleet of red tail hawks, the problem isn't getting solved. I do have a few people I know who eat them and save their skins so I think the impact isn't that great if they are killed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,322 Officer
    Visit the FFWCC website. They have info on the topic, some of which I have posted here:

Behavior:

Squirrels can cause problems by chewing on plants, tree bark and ornamentals as well as plastic items, like electrical wiring insulation or even wood siding on houses and out-buildings. It is often impossible or impractical to eliminate the source of their chewing. Potted plants can often be moved out of reach. PVC pipes and electrical wires can sometimes be covered with a insulation material that is soft and, therefore, less attractive to chew.

Taste repellents are designed to stop chewing. They seem to work in direct proportion to the animal's desire to chew on the object. In other words, if they want it badly enough, no repellent will stop them. Taste repellents will not work on large areas, are impractical for inaccessible things like tall trees and cannot be used on objects that you intend to eat.

A landowner may lawfully live-trap or humanely destroy nuisance gray squirrels without a special permit or license. Live-captured nuisance squirrels must be released or euthanized within 24 hours of capture or trap inspection. In addition, nuisance squirrels may be transported and released at an off-site location that is within the county of capture and a minimum of 40 contiguous acres if the animal is a native species; the releaser has written permission from the owner of the release site; and the transportation of the wildlife does not violate any rabies alert or area quarantine issued by a county health department or county animal service. Relocating wildlife is seldom biologically sound, the animal often does not survive.

You can receive technical assistance for squirrel problems by contacting your nearest FWC regional office.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• GoCardsGoCards Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I had to drive 10 miles away to get rid if the ones I had. They will find there way back if they aren't dropped off far enough away. Since I live within metro Louisville we are not allowed to shoot them with air rifles. If I could I'd shoot them with a .25 or .22 LR and stew they up or throw them on the grill. But for some reason the city frowns on it. Even if you shoot them they will keep coming back. The exterminator here said if you can euthanize them to drown them in a bucket. Sounds bad but not a ton of options. The ones I caught I euthanized and threw on the grill. No sense in wasting them. Figured if other squirrels see me eating their buddy they would leave my house. Throw some peanut butter on a cracker and you'll catch them pretty fast. If you can shoot em have you're buddies come over and take them out then eat em later. Excellent grill meat IMO. Just marinate it in some Dale's marinade and Italian dressing. Threw on the grill until the meat is a nice gray/white a little burnt throw some hot sauce on there and you got a nice meal.
  • mako191mako191 Posts: 55 Deckhand
    GoCards wrote: »
    I had to drive 10 miles away to get rid if the ones I had. They will find there way back if they aren't dropped off far enough away. Since I live within metro Louisville we are not allowed to shoot them with air rifles. If I could I'd shoot them with a .25 or .22 LR and stew they up or throw them on the grill. But for some reason the city frowns on it. Even if you shoot them they will keep coming back. The exterminator here said if you can euthanize them to drown them in a bucket. Sounds bad but not a ton of options. The ones I caught I euthanized and threw on the grill. No sense in wasting them. Figured if other squirrels see me eating their buddy they would leave my house. Throw some peanut butter on a cracker and you'll catch them pretty fast. If you can shoot em have you're buddies come over and take them out then eat em later. Excellent grill meat IMO. Just marinate it in some Dale's marinade and Italian dressing. Threw on the grill until the meat is a nice gray/white a little burnt throw some hot sauce on there and you got a nice meal.

They are great with
    salt and pepper rolled in flour and fried
  • EyesonuEyesonu Posts: 55 Deckhand
    There is a squirrel season. Call your regional Fwc office if you plan to hunt them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I know exactly what you mean. They are overrunning a bunch of the neighborhoods here. The problem is more will just keep coming back whether you shoot or trap them.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,014 Admiral
    I have noticed a definite reduction of the local squirrel population ever since the big owls moved in a few months ago. I guess this doesn't help you though.
    23895.gif
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,508 Moderator
    I had trouble with them and my bird feeder. They would swarm it and I started the BB gun extermination untill my sister found out.
    She bought me a squirrel proof feeder. The one I had didn't work but this one does.

http://www.heritagefarms.biz/birdfeeders/sp/

I can set it to keep doves out even. With my previous reduction efforts and the new feeder they aren't many around. Just a few that eat what drops from the feeder.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I'm not a big fan of relocating nuisance animals. They are likely to become someone else's problem and relocating can also spread disease. That leaves euthanasia. I'm a founding member of PETA (People Euthanizing Troublesome Animals). Trapping can be very effective in areas where shooting is frowned upon or in cases where the shot angles are unsafe. The easiest ways to euthanize a trapped animal are shooting (get a safe angle) and drowning. Submerging the entire cage works well.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    I use to shoot the crap out of the squirrels in my yard with a pellet rifle. But then I noticed that it didn't make any difference. They just coming from other near-by areas. It's like I wasn't making any difference in the population. You'll need to research the local ordnances with regard to BB guns and pellet rifles. I live within the city limits and they have an ordinance forbidding the discharge of a BB gun or pellet gun.
    Thanks for all the feedback, I did have a neighbor question what i was doing and had to explain to the sheriff and he had no problems with me to do it and no local laws against getting rid of them just as long as i dont use a firearm, on my property, and know where i am aiming since i have a high powered air rifle capable of shooting long distances. As I finally read the FWC laws which are hard to find and not 100% clear, ii am going ahead to get rid of these lil furry tailed tree mice. Since Ive posted this the squirrels have destroyed 2 bird feeders chewing them to shreds. Spring is in the air so they are in full force now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Squirrels chewed a hole in my gas can this weekend that I keep next to my mower. Absurd. I hate them.
  • Phantom309Phantom309 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    They are a year round form af food ..............................
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Officer
    just throw down some tasty rat poison :D
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    MathGeek wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of relocating nuisance animals. They are likely to become someone else's problem and relocating can also spread disease. That leaves euthanasia. I'm a founding member of PETA (People Euthanizing Troublesome Animals). Trapping can be very effective in areas where shooting is frowned upon or in cases where the shot angles are unsafe. The easiest ways to euthanize a trapped animal are shooting (get a safe angle) and drowning. Submerging the entire cage works well.

Why the mess?

Just take an old lamp cord and connect the leads to either end of the cage and plug er in.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    This is the type of feeder you need
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    The little SOBs are eating my Tomatoes... They gotta DIE...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    The little SOBs are eating my Tomatoes... They gotta DIE...

Had that problem myself last year. Had to buy some plastic netting to put around my garden. Pissed me off.
  • GreyRiderGreyRider Posts: 61 Deckhand
    As of July 1 2013

68A-12.002 6. (c) Air guns may be used to take gray squirrel and rabbit only.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68A-12
  • SaltyjenksSaltyjenks Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Buddy of mine trapped them in a humane trap, spray painted them florescent colors and set them free in the park, he called it his squirrel relocation program. He found it entertaining parents trying to explain to the kids how the squirrels got painted.
  • registermregisterm EustisPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    I was just given a 72.00 fine and a court date for shooting a gray squirrel in my back yard. They have been tearing up my grandmother's yard and I finally caught one on the ground.  So I shot it and it climbed the tree stand feel in my neighbor's yard . So out of respect I asked if I could retrieve it so I could bury it and he got pissed and let me get it . So I left and came home to a fwc officer asking me where the pellet gun was so I showed him. Here then took pictures and took the squirrel with him and left me with a ticket for no hunting license and a court date for shooting a game animal out of season. I told him they were a nuisance and I was gonna use the meat but all he wrote in the report is that I wanted the meat. He never mentioned that I told him I shot it for digging up my yard. Is it legal for home to take my neighbor's side of the story and not pay any attention to mine. I'm in a pickle now. Any advice????
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 874 Officer
    edited September 28 #27

OK

All clean head shots, no meat damaged.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 405 Deckhand
    registerm said:
    I was just given a 72.00 fine and a court date for shooting a gray squirrel in my back yard. They have been tearing up my grandmother's yard and I finally caught one on the ground.  So I shot it and it climbed the tree stand feel in my neighbor's yard . So out of respect I asked if I could retrieve it so I could bury it and he got pissed and let me get it . So I left and came home to a fwc officer asking me where the pellet gun was so I showed him. Here then took pictures and took the squirrel with him and left me with a ticket for no hunting license and a court date for shooting a game animal out of season. I told him they were a nuisance and I was gonna use the meat but all he wrote in the report is that I wanted the meat. He never mentioned that I told him I shot it for digging up my yard. Is it legal for home to take my neighbor's side of the story and not pay any attention to mine. I'm in a pickle now. Any advice????
    I hate your neighbor. What a jerk...goes to show you how the truth gets punished...never admit to anything , they have the burden of proof, so just take the 5th.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,725 Captain
    I would get a hunting license, seems that is all you are lacking unless I missed something, it might be beneficial if you have it by the time you go to court, they will probably ask if you got one. It is only $26 I think.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,150 AG
    surfman said:
    I would get a hunting license, seems that is all you are lacking unless I missed something, it might be beneficial if you have it by the time you go to court, they will probably ask if you got one. It is only $26 I think.
    But you still have to obey the season rules. October something to March 1st or something like that.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,990 Admiral
    Get a maine **** cat it will solve your squirrel problems. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.