Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Age requirement

Gordon JrGordon Jr Posts: 7 Greenhorn
This may have been asked before but I can't find anywhere about age requirements to operate a boat? I see where u need a boaters safety card but is there a age requirement also? I have been working with my daughter for the last couple years and she is almost 14 now but would love to give her the keys if I decide I want to drink a few. Thanks for the help

Replies

• Gordon JrGordon Jr Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I finally found no age restriction, now I need to figure out the photo ID. I knew I would find the answer within minutes after posting this..
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    Get Your Boater Safety Education Card - Did you know that anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 must have a Boating Safety Education ID Card to legally operate a boat in Florida? Read this to find out more about what the law requires and how to get your card.
  • CDill9CDill9 Posts: 108 Officer
    I dont think that would fly with Law Enforcement... she can drive legally, but do you think an Officer would be ok with a drunk father making his child drive? Good luck with that venture
  • Gordon JrGordon Jr Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I don't mean drunk driving, she really enjoys driving the boat. She is taking her boat safety class now. I guess I should've been more clear. Can I sit in my bean bag with a cold beer (I've never got to do the bean bag thing in my own boat) and have her drive legally. Everything I can find says I can just didn't know if I was missing anything.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,119 Captain
    yes you can and mako_one thats only if they are alone on the boat or without someone over that age limit, otherwise as long as you have someone over the age limit or someone on board that has a boaters safety card then anyone regardless of age can drive it.
  • yellowdogyellowdog Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Be careful if you are having that beer and she is driving. If you are seen giving her instructions on how to operate the boat even tho you are not, they can get you for BUI is my understanding(if you are over the limit that is). Also, the BUI limit is lower if you have young kids on board.
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Please elaborate on this.

"Also, the BUI limit is lower if you have young kids on board."
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,119 Captain
    heres my opinion, if your not drunk or impaired then youll be fine you should know your limits especially if your daughters driving, theres plenty of people who fish and drink and drive back to the boat ramp just fine my dad is one of them he'll be drinking a beer as fwc pulls up to check him but at the same time hes never drunk and just enoying a cold one. fwc doesnt care unless you get a real A**hole which is sometimes the case
  • yellowdogyellowdog Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Lodi, I thought the blood alcohol limit was lower when you had someone under 18 on the boat you are operating, but I researched and cannot find anything to support that. The fines can be higher.....

Special BUI enhancement applies if:
    The person is guilty of BUI and had a blood-alcohol level or breath-alcohol level of 0.20 or above, or if the boat operator had a passenger who was under the age of 18.
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Gotcha, thanks.
  • tagtag Posts: 9,642 Admiral
    Isn't there a provision about you must be in a position to take control of the boat while a child is operating it if needed?