Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

How many casts?

2»

Replies

• clampmanclampman Senior Member Fl. KeysPosts: 130 Deckhand
    Well MTD, I stopped in at the fly shop the other day, and both the guy working the counter and a buddy he was bull****ting with said that the coating on the New Tarpon Technical sucks. That the line stays stiff even in August sun but the coating causes it to tie itself into knots. They sent the lines back to to the distributor and don't carry them.

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask him if he had any of the short ones (sorry). I was really disappointed about the longer one and lost my head.

Cheers,
    Jim
  • RickRick Member MassPosts: 39 Deckhand
    Amerucan, to answer your question. Today that is just a pick up and lay down. It sounds to me as if you are just learning. If that is the case, I can tell you that when I picked up my first fly rod I probably wrapped the line around myself 5 times. Then I spent a lot of time imitating what I thought was a proper cast, and all I did was develop a pretty inconsistent cast that frustrated me as well as a few bonefish guides. I took a lesson, asked a lot of questions, (Bonefish Bob in the Keys was a great source of info when he was alive), read some books and spent a lot of time practicing. Today I know that practice and time equal experience. In decent conditions I can get 70 to 80 feet out with one backcast. I bonefish in the Keys, Biscayne Bay, and the Bahamas. The fewer the backcast the better, although conditions (wind) don't always allow for just one backcast. If I can make one suggestion It would be what the guides always told me, Practice, Practice, Practice
  • mtd885mtd885 Senior Member Hallandale Beach/Cudjoe Key FlPosts: 1,159 Officer
    (Bonefish Bob in the Keys was a great source of info when he was alive),

Yes he was! Bob would take me fishing after the store closed. Even with the sun low in the sky reflecting off the water, there was Bob, sans sunglasses telling me where the fish was. He had polarized eyes!
    Practicing in the wind is important for experienced as well as beginning casters. To the OP I would say do not measure your casts. Just the thought of how far it went takes your mind off the actual casting. You’ll notice every so often you make a perfect cast when you were not paying attention. That is what you want to achieve, an effortless casting motion letting the rod do its job. My mentor explained to me that beginners cast with the middle of the rod. The more experienced you got your cast got closer to the rod tip until you just cast with the tip of the rod. Taking a lesson will shorten the learning curve. Go to Youtube and search for Mel Krieger fly casting. Mel was my guru and I can still hear him in my head yelling, “wait for the elfin backcast michael”.
  • hatiduahatidua Junior Member Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Rick wrote: »
    (Bonefish Bob in the Keys was a great source of info when he was alive)

Yeah, that was a loss in a number of ways...