Home Bennett Marine

Replacing Power-Pole Pump (V351)

hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
My boat is so close to being back on the water, and the only thing really holding it up is getting my Power-Pole operational again. Our pump was bad, so I took it apart to try to isolate the problem, electric motor itself was seized. I have the classic older version 6' PP and it utilizes a Bennett V351 pump. I have located new pumps online and plan on ordering one, just need some info. I'm attaching pictures of my current burnt out pump. I have tried contacting Power-Pole, but it's not their pump, and they want to try to sell me the XL series pump that I don't really need.

My question is, why are there 2 sets (4) solenoids on this pump? The same V351's I'm seeing online only have two solenoids directly on my pump without the valve body assembly the other two are on like the pump pictured. Can I operate a regular 6' PP with a V351 as I see with only 2 solenoids? What about that "protector valve" inline with the pump as show, is that needed?

Thank you
tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif

Replies

• TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Hewes18,

The Power Pole pump you have was custom made for them to their specifications and is not a standard V351. The reason it has 4 solenoid valves is that it is a dual acting pump that delivers fluid to both sides of the piston face to "push and pull" with power in both directions. The standard V351 is a single acting pump that delivers fluid to the top of the piston face only to provide power to push the Trim Tabs down, and then uses a spring in the actuator to retract them.

The "protector valve" and the tee fitting to the return line were specified by Power Pole to provide relief protection to the pole if it were stressed too much.

Also the wiring to the motor was different than the standard V351 since it was only run in one direction (the standard V351 motor runs in both directions).

While we do make dual acting pumps, we have since redesigned them and their layout is quite different and does not include the specific features that Power Pole had us include in their units.

Power Pole stopped using Bennett pumps quite some time ago and we discontinued manufacturing them.

So I believe that you will need to purchase the unit from Power Pole.

Tom McGow
    Bennett Marine
  • PowerPoleMattPowerPoleMatt Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Hewes18,

Although it is highly recommened to purchase the upgrade kit, we do have a refurbished Bennett style pump in house. Seeing your situation, if you'd like to stay with the Bennett style pump, I can send it to you for free. You can contact us directly at 813-689-9932 option 2.

*****UPDATE: Unfortunately, we no longer have any Bennett pumps. The upgrade kit retails for $535.00. You can send the old Bennett pump in for a $150.00 rebate, so it ends up being $385.00. The only reason we suggest going through a local dealer is to support them getting the sale. You can contact us directly as well. ********

Matt
    JL Marine Systems
    Manufacturer of
    Power-Pole Shallow Water Anchors
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Way to go Matt!

Power Pole has always had outstanding customer service, and this is an outstanding example.

Tom
    Bennett Marine
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    I don't think I'm able to thank you enough Matt! You guys are a pleasure to deal with even in the past when I've needed replacement spikes and you will have me as a customer for life! Not only did you go out of your way to supply a new pump at no cost but also covered shipping, and I see in the invoice it included a bottle of hydro fluid. I checked the tracking number and I'll probably have it tomorrow, that my friend is outstanding! Again thank you so much! Can't wait to get back on the water!
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
  • brinycultbrinycult Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I had a very different experience with power pole. I bought my first boat a few months ago Sea Pro 21' CC and it had an older power pole with the same pump as the original post. One week after I had it on the water, the pump failed. I have read and heard about how great power pole customer service was and felt good about contacting them.
    When I called in they were very nice but basically told me I was out of luck. I asked if I could send it in to try and be repaired and was told my best bet was to upgrade to a new pump and to find a retailer who could handle it because they would rather not deal with it.
    Was hoping not to put too much money into it because I am saving for a larger one. Had thought originally about a blade model because of the good things I had heard about power pole. Seems the hype was not the reality. Not saying I am ruling out power pole in the future but I will definitely be looking at other brands as well.
    Was hoping for a lot more but seems they are all the same in the end.
  • Nemo0714Nemo0714 South Padre IslandPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Greeting everyone... have an old 2005 PP, pump went out. Bennett V-351 with 4 solenoids. I read about Bennett not manufacturing the pump. Bennett I believe makes a DAHPU pump, will that do the same thing as the Bennett V-351? Or is there another aftermarket I can use? Someone repair them? What is the PSI requirements for up and down positions? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • JohhMulcairJohhMulcair FloridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Question for Nemo0714, did you install the DAHPU pump and did it work? I am currently dealing with the same issue and have been told the DAHPU pump won't work. The only solution seems to be the "up-grade kit" which costs $535.00. In my case the add-on solenoids that were put on by Power Pole have failed and no one seems to know what part they are or who manufactured them. 
     Johnbouy