Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Quail Recipie

century7century7 Senior MemberPosts: 2,410 Captain
Have some quail in the freezer that I am looking to cook up and looking for some different recipes? I tried searching but could not find any in the forums.
It works 60% of the time all the time......

Replies

• TheCaptainsTableTheCaptainsTable Senior Member Ne FloridaPosts: 549 Officer
    You can use just about any Chicken recipie
  • hossmosshossmoss Senior Member Orange Park, FLPosts: 1,335 Officer
    The key to cooking quail is not to cook too long. Still pink is good... unless you are doing a braise.

For whole birds, salt and pepper inside, stuff with country sausage, bread and celery (and maybe raisins/craisins), salt and pepper the outside, wrap in bacon and bake in a very hot oven till bacon is crisped.

Then you can do the old classic smothered... salt and pepper your halved quails, heat to shimmering a couple tbs of high smoke oil. sear for 5 minutes a side then remove from pan. Add 1 stick of butter till bubbly, stir in 1/2 cup flour and cook till lightly colored but not quite the color of peanut butter. Stir in 3 cups of whole milk, and 1 cup chicken stock. bring to boil and check for salt and pepper. Serve over quail with rice. If you want to cook the quail in the sauce, then barely sear in the first step and finish cooking by adding the quail to the sauce for a few minutes just before serving.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Senior Member Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, ChassahowitzkaPosts: 1,121 Officer
    Sounds weird, but it works... Rub them with grape jelly, lightly salt and pepper, wrap with bacon and then throw on the grill.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Moderator Ytic AmanapPosts: 8,913 Moderator
    Sounds weird, but it works... Rub them with grape jelly, lightly salt and pepper, wrap with bacon and then throw on the grill.

Toss in some jalepno seeds and you're really in business.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • RexLanRexLan Senior Member Rotonda West (Port Charlotte)Posts: 868 Officer
    Not much left of the "quail" - use a chicken and save the quail for a nice meal.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Senior Member Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, ChassahowitzkaPosts: 1,121 Officer
    Toss in some jalepno seeds and you're really in business.
    I forgot that part... I put a sliced jalapeno in the cavity.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Moderator Ytic AmanapPosts: 8,913 Moderator
    I've never done it at all, I was just thinking that a little heat (basically plain ol' pepper jelly) might be good. If I ever get on some quail I might give it a shot.

RexLan... I hear ya on not over doing something special, but if something tastes good, you can't deny that it tastes good. How many folks pay to have their their entire deer processed? I don't usually do that, but you can't deny that processed sausage isn't just as good as what you might do with a roast or loin at the house; it's just a different kind of good. For example, I cook quite a bit of good stuff, but every now and then there's nothing I'd rather have than a take-out burger, or hot wings, or a cheap chili dog, or easy pasta dish, or meatloaf, etc.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • RexLanRexLan Senior Member Rotonda West (Port Charlotte)Posts: 868 Officer
    I've never done it at all, I was just thinking that a little heat (basically plain ol' pepper jelly) might be good. If I ever get on some quail I might give it a shot.

RexLan... I hear ya on not over doing something special, but if something tastes good, you can't deny that it tastes good. How many folks pay to have their their entire deer processed? I don't usually do that, but you can't deny that processed sausage isn't just as good as what you might do with a roast or loin at the house; it's just a different kind of good. For example, I cook quite a bit of good stuff, but every now and then there's nothing I'd rather have than a take-out burger, or hot wings, or a cheap chili dog, or easy pasta dish, or meatloaf, etc.

Very true; however, with all those makins on that tiny delicate quail I doubt you will ever taste the quail which was my point .... use a small chicken instead and then have the quail for what it is. A little seasoning and it's good to go.

A cheap chili dog ... hum, I seem to have some "deer dogs" in the fridge right at this moment that I made last week and think I will have one of those for lunch! I make them in a 32mm casing and 8" long ... a whole meal. Deer and a little pork for moisture makes a mighty find hot dog for sure.
    Port Charlotte, Florida