Odyssey Batteries...

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
I have three 1500's that I am told are dead. They are dated April 2009. Is this the kind of longevity others are getting? It seems to me they were advertised as lasting longer than these have. I have a 3 bank 10 amp charger which was the best available at the time. Should I be replacing the charger along with a new set of batteries? Odyssey sells their own chargers that are supposed to be staged to keep the batteries fully charged. Seems that I could have got three years out of plain old acid battery.

Replies

• screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    That does seem short, but I'm starting to question the health of my 12lbs Odyssey cranking battery in my boat after 2 years. The only issue is the CCA these batteries have... nothing else compares for the size! 900CCA out of a 12lbs battery cranked my Etec 90 no problem... but seems if I don't throw the charger on it a couple days before going out the engine turns over a little slow.
    Signature
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Precisely why I spec'd Deka AGM batteries on my Egret. Odyssey is expensive and prone to issues in my experience and that of some friends.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I have three 1500's that I am told are dead. They are dated April 2009. Is this the kind of longevity others are getting? It seems to me they were advertised as lasting longer than these have. I have a 3 bank 10 amp charger which was the best available at the time. Should I be replacing the charger along with a new set of batteries? Odyssey sells their own chargers that are supposed to be staged to keep the batteries fully charged. Seems that I could have got three years out of plain old acid battery.

All three went at the same time? Was there a short somewhere that killed them? If you have the Stealth charger it is the best if not then buy one.Those things are great batteries with a 3 year warranty. I have had good luck with mine.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    That does seem short, but I'm starting to question the health of my 12lbs Odyssey cranking battery in my boat after 2 years. The only issue is the CCA these batteries have... nothing else compares for the size! 900CCA out of a 12lbs battery cranked my Etec 90 no problem... but seems if I don't throw the charger on it a couple days before going out the engine turns over a little slow.

Your battery has only a 200 CCA rating. You may want to step up to the next size bigger because your starter needs more juice.
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Your battery has only a 200 CCA rating. You may want to step up to the next size bigger because your starter needs more juice.

Yes and no. 680 for 5 seconds. That dang Etec better start in less than that! But yes bigger would be better, I am just tight on space with the trolley batts under the console and didn't want to put those batteries in the bow.
    Signature
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    Keep them on the smart charger when not in use. I have 2, 2150 and a 2250 4 years old and tested like new 6months ago. The key is to not drain them less than 50-60%, and keep it on a SMART charger. This really goes for most batteries.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Thanks guys! Odyssey came by and checked them out with the right equipment. Turns out only the house battery was bad and they were kind enough to warranty that battery for me. Great customer service. I have a pro mariner 3 bank 10 amps per bank which the rep says should do the job. He did suggest thinking about an upgrade to the charger as some have suggested.
  • jjchompjjchomp Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Gotta love odyssey. Last boat I had three of them and one of their chargers, which overcharged the batteries and blew them out. Wonderful odyssey would warranty the charger, but not the batteries. My egret now have the deka's and stealth.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    =p
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    I'm done w/ Odyssey.Have always charged them immediately coming off the water and never get 2 years.
    Odyssey will replace once, than you have to buy again.
    Reminds of the automobile tire proration game where the tires never approach the warrantied milege,but you keep coming back for proration and new tires..

Dekka AGMs are what I'm using now.
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Sorry guys but can't seem to justify the price for our boats if its for the weight savings. I just replaced my delco after six years. Old maintenance free acid batteries
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,376 Officer
    If you really want to save weight and your pocket book is large go with the Lithums!

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-marine-batteries.php
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    Arent they (lithium batteries) what grounded that new fleet of airplanes?? I
    And if you like boat fires.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Battery life also depends if you take care of the batteries..even with the odysseys... If you use your trolling motor a lot and drain the batteries dead... and then you don't charge them up and shortly after, it is not good for the health of your battery...
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach