2/27 Anclote...First Time out since last July

It's been a loonnngggg time since I posted on here or even fished. I haven't gotten my boat wet since last July for a number of reasons but finally got to get out today. Actually thats a lie I put in in last week but wasn't getting power on all cylinders so I basically did a lap around the area, ate lunch at Miss Vickies and called it a day. So today was the first REAL time I've been out in 8 months. Tides looked lovely and the weather was forecast to be a bit breezy but otherwise warm and sunny...hitched up and headed towards the ramp...only an hour later than planned.

High was at 1 and we got the boat in around 1030. My girlfriend's never fished before and I'm so far out of the loop its not funny so I just wanted to go for a boat ride, scout for fish and bait and maybe get ahold of some dinner. My tip on where the bait was didn't pan out and we ended up with about a dozen pins. Scouting quickly turned into hiding from the wind to keep the gf warm. I basically resorted to sticking to the lee side of everything since it was 10 degrees warmer and the only place I could actually see anything if there was even anything to see. After a few stops seeing nothing but Sheepshead and mullet I ended up on a shoreline thats been a deadzone for the past 3 years or so. One of those places I drive by every trip and never give a second look at. Decided to check it out anyway and ran over a nice 20+" Trout pretty quickly. A good sign.

After about 100yrds of idling I saw an upper slot Red scoot off...then another...then two...then about 20yrds later I went right over a school of about 100 mid-slot to well overslot fish. After stomping, pouting and cursing myself for scattering such a nice batch of fish I decided to keep moving and be happy that I least found something to check on later. Around the corner we motored over another 2 dozen fish around the same size. The life of a guy with no trolling motor strikes again...

We went back to the original spot and set up about 100yrds South of where we saw the school since thats the direction they all headed and hoped they'd come back in and settle down.

photo4.jpg

Lines in...

We drowned a handfull of already dead cut pins for about 10mins before the first rod went down. I was suprised to see 20'' class Trout on the end instead of a Red. I've caught em on cut bait before I just wasn't expecting it today. Suddenly it became a day of Trout fishing...every few mins a bait would get picked up and Trout after Trout came aboard. Decided it was time to get the GF involved and had her grab the next rod to go down. It did and she did. A couple mins later she had her first fish...A rather healthy 23" Momma Gator; not a bad way to get into fishing I'd say

reltrout.jpg
She's still a little cold even covered from the wind

Few more Trout later and FINALLY got through em long enough for Mr. Red to chew. He's out there waiting for me tommorow because he was too big to hang out on the halfshell in my kitchen tonight.

red226.jpg

A few more fish later and I packed it up and went to check out some more ground. Found a few more pods of fish around the area for another day and decided to head in...

photo3.jpg
Love me some Pelicans

photo1.jpg
Don't judge the poling platform...like I said it's been awhile and I still have some cosmetic work to do. Cleaning fish is always better with cold beer.

All in all it was a pretty good "first" day back from hiatus and hopefully the GF catches the fishing bug. I'll be back there very soon and set up from a distance hoping they stick around for awhile. I plan to have many more and much better posts as the year goes on and its nice to be back on the water...maybe even starting tommorow.
Go home when the fishings done.
Commercial fish murderer.

Replies

• secretspotsecretspot Posts: 377 Officer
    Nice job! Good to see ya posting again. The big trout will crush cut bait. They are lazy
    Jon Brooks Wade Fishing Guide Service/Consult Trips
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/wadefishermancom/196439137047692?__req=5
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    nice report
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • JuicebucketJuicebucket Posts: 139 Officer
    Jon they were babies compared to yours but I just happy to have water under my feet again
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Fishing in general is better with a few cold beers if you ask me. Do work.
  • secretspotsecretspot Posts: 377 Officer
    Jon they were babies compared to yours but I just happy to have water under my feet again

they look pretty good to me- hows the fwc thing going? your mia on fb
    Jon Brooks Wade Fishing Guide Service/Consult Trips
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/wadefishermancom/196439137047692?__req=5
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Sounds like fun! Thanks for the report.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    secretspot wrote: »
    they look pretty good to me- hows the fwc thing going? your mia on fb

I'm in the background investigation phase now which is the last before selection. I should either get a pack your bags or thanks for playing notice here shortly
  • dbs1515dbs1515 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Great job!...were you putting your cut baits on the bottom in the potholes or under a cork? I've often wanted to try doing that, but I am an artificials guy so I never have confidence soaking dead bait. I always fear it will just sit there unnoticed I guess.
  • KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report!
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    dbs1515 wrote: »
    Great job!...were you putting your cut baits on the bottom in the potholes or under a cork?.

I chuck my chunks nakid..No cork..even no floro.....Put the right out there in the thick of the mullet.. First thing that will happen is the little fish attack it...then the bigger fish tune in to the commotion of what the little ones are doing and go investigate...only to find some candy swimming around....So..The cycle continues with the even bigger fish......say a nice red or Mr. Gator to swim in the mix......an when that happens..the little stuff gets spooked an hauls tail into the grass ..leaving a nice chunk of food to chow on.. The rest is up to the person on the other end of the stick....Helps to have that plastic baseball bat sawed in half to chum the area up with shrimp bits... But that has worked real well for me for ...oh.. 30+ years in the Tampa Bay area..

So how do others do it?? dead bait methods...
  • Trophy-TripsTrophy-Trips Posts: 107 Officer
    Two days in a row... glad you got that boat rewired and running... not bad for a 93. Now a little paint and push pole and ready to roll for tourney season.
    Two days in a row... glad you got that boat rewired and running... not bad for a 93. Now a little paint and push pole and ready to roll for tourney season.

Best part of today was knowing it'll get up and go that fast with as much weight as we put on it haha. Don't wipe out that whole school while I'm at work the next 3 days.

We just throw the cut bait unweighted as close to the treeline as possible. Today the fish were actually sitting pretty far off so it was a mix of overhangs and potholes. Chunk baits great because it casts a mile and never swims out of the strikezone...out fishes live bait more often than you'd think too.
  • dbs1515dbs1515 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tip JB. I will have more confidence in this method now if I can ever let go of my artificials. I will post any successes for sure and I'll throw you some props in there haha.