Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wahoo spearfishing - Season review 2013

Well it has been a incredible season again for bluewater spearfishing for wahoo for myself and crew this year. A lot of time was dedicated chasing the wary wahoo, but the numbers were there and the hunting was exciting and fun.

We hunted from Palm Beach to down south to the Keys and were lucky enough to get good shooting at different locations this season. As many of you know off Palm beach in the late summer and early fall can be as good as any where for wahoo action. We had some success with plenty spotted with a lot staying out of range. We worked our way south as the season progressed and had steady action, with sighting just about every trip.

I know most of you are fisherman but I can't help but share the experiences, as I have gained a lot from this site over the years including when I use to do a lot of offshore fishing. Spearfisherman and fisherman have the same goals just different ways of achieving the end result. Which is fish in the box, stress relieve from the monotony of life, and having fun with friends.

We had a lot of fun with our crew and we where lucky enough to land 25 wahoo this season. My self and friends have ate so much wahoo this year I feel like I may grow stripes and gills. Haha.

Anyway it has been a lot fun and and as always a great learning experience to be out there in the ocean. I will let the photos do the rest of the talking hope you enjoy.

Credits: The underwater photos of the 50lb wahoo I shot a couple months ago were taken by Cameron Kirkconnell he is master spearo and UW photographer, and I have been lucky to dive with him.

I also used a new bluewater speargun this year made by Blacktip spearguns you can see it in couple of the photos below. It is a great gun and puts wahoo on ice!

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,183 Officer
    you guys are hardcore!great day and what a treat to share with us wannabees.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Awesome stuff! I hope this year is even better for you guys
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    killing it! nice job guys!
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer
    Sick numbers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Very nice!! That wahoo that looks much bigger than you in the pic; great pic!! I can hardly catch them in a boat, don't know how you guys do it with fins. Thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Bluewaterspearo,

You guys never let us down!

Great shots.. and nice looking hoos.

I've got a question for you....

Knowing how fast the hoos swim, how do you come up on them and how difficult is it to chase them down if at all possible?

Watching the spearfishing off of sharks for cobia or for dolphin under a weedline leaves nothing to the imagination.. but seeing your fish are absolutely amazing to me.

Thanks for the great report

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • soflah3soflah3 Posts: 589 Officer
    Heard you were killing em Ryan! Nice work!
  • BluewaterspearoBluewaterspearo Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Plane Fin n,

Thanks for the kind words! Its funny we think of wahoo as super speed fish that is always moving fast, but all the wahoo I have seen underwater approach very slow and appear like a ghost. The trick is to work on their inquisitive nature and not chase them and let them come to you. We do this by using flashers and chunked baitfish. This will draw them in then the best approach is to dive down in a non-threating way and let the fish come to you. It can be very tough as first instinct is to swim after them and try get a shot. Also it helps to have a big speargun that can make 20ft shots as the clear water it is hard to judge the distance.

It really is a amazing experience to swim with wahoo. I have been covered by schools of twenty or thirty of them at a time and to see how a whole school acts is sight to behold. They are a very unique fish and each fish has a different personality. Ive watched them move their dorsal fins up and down and changing from a liquid mercury color to all light up with those famous stripes. I think they do this to try get you to make a move and figure out what you are. Yes I spend to much time in the bluewater! LOL
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    That's an awesome review of wahoo underwater and tips to shooting them, not that I'll ever try it. Thanks for sharing that. My respect for the fish just went up that much more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Game recognize Game. I am 100% impressed w Bluewaterspearo and crew!
    Shooting 7 hoos in 1 day in PB County? :hail:hail:hail Ryan Ryan and crew!!!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    e-money wrote: »
    Game recognize Game. I am 100% impressed w Bluewaterspearo and crew!
    Shooting 7 hoos in 1 day in PB County? :hail:hail:hail Ryan Ryan and crew!!!
    Thanks E$! I have enjoyed your posts for years you continually produce results, and that is the mark of a master. :) Last weekend we where down in the Keys for the 7 hoos, but we have got plenty up in Palm Beach this year. Matter of fact two weekends ago, Nutsmagoo was out with me right off the breakers in 80ft and we saw over 20 hoos in one morning!
    Thanks E$! I have enjoyed your posts for years you continually produce results, and that is the mark of a master. :) Last weekend we where down in the Keys for the 7 hoos, but we have got plenty up in Palm Beach this year. Matter of fact two weekends ago, Nutsmagoo was out with me right off the breakers in 80ft and we saw over 20 hoos in one morning!

Offer stands! Let me drift w you and flashers for 1.5 hrs and i will take you on my boat for wahoo HS special (if interested).
    Again KUDOS to the spear masters!! :hail:hail:hail
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    e-money wrote: »
    Offer stands! Let me drift w you and flashers for 1.5 hrs and i will take you on my boat for wahoo HS special (if interested).
    Again KUDOS to the spear masters!! :hail:hail:hail

Deal for sure!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Thanks for that excellent explanation.

Now, I have a much better idea how it works with nabbing a hoo.

WOW... you and Paul on the same boat???? That has to be the "Dream Team" of spearfishing.

I saw Paul with Tom over in the Bahamas last year and those guys are in a field of their own.

Thanks to you guys that many of us get to re-live the adventure with your posts.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Plane Fin n,

Thanks for the kind words! Its funny we think of wahoo as super speed fish that is always moving fast, but all the wahoo I have seen underwater approach very slow and appear like a ghost. The trick is to work on their inquisitive nature and not chase them and let them come to you. We do this by using flashers and chunked baitfish. This will draw them in then the best approach is to dive down in a non-threating way and let the fish come to you. It can be very tough as first instinct is to swim after them and try get a shot. Also it helps to have a big speargun that can make 20ft shots as the clear water it is hard to judge the distance.

It really is a amazing experience to swim with wahoo. I have been covered by schools of twenty or thirty of them at a time and to see how a whole school acts is sight to behold. They are a very unique fish and each fish has a different personality. Ive watched them move their dorsal fins up and down and changing from a liquid mercury color to all light up with those famous stripes. I think they do this to try get you to make a move and figure out what you are. Yes I spend to much time in the bluewater! LOL

That is what I call a good problem my friend!
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Awesome report
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Georgia Sea ProGeorgia Sea Pro Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    That's freaking impressive! I want to go!!!!
  • StepaboStepabo Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Thanks so much for the info, I see and read a lot on dolphin and tuna but rarely get much info on wahoo. the pics were awesome, good luck this season Steve :beer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”
    ―Hunter S. Thompson
  • Port FearcePort Fearce Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    who's that really handsome guy in the 3rd large photo?
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 418 Deckhand
    **** you guys got it going on...jealous!
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs
  • Lori Jo FishingLori Jo Fishing Posts: 666 Officer
    Good job guys. Awesome pics!!! Those are some stud wahoo's. That one wahoo looks bigger than the diver in the water.
    I think you guys are pioneers and among the best of the best in the spear world.
    The respect is WAAAY mutual and kind of you to say.
    I have observed some wahoo on structure and seen this "ghost like" approach.
    Just so impressive and in my opinion perhaps the coolest fish in the sea.
    Can you imagine diving with the 150+lb hoos off San Sal?
    I can, but the sharks there are NO joke. HUGE Bronze Whalers and Oceanic White tips that have learned to tune in to the hum of a diesel
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes I have heard about the huge wahoo off San Sal and also the bigger sharks. HAHA. I do have a trip planned up to Venice Louisiana here in about three weeks if the weather is good cooperates. Big hoos there also, and few sharks there too. :) I dove there a couple years ago it is a amazing how much life is on those rigs and lumps.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Ok. U. da. man.
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Your explanation of wahoo was spot on. Im an amateur spearo at best and ive only seen wahoo once. We were spearing dolphin on a weedline and I made a dive (50ft my max), and saw 2 nice wahoo slowly come out of nowhere another 30ft below me. They were very slow moving, and out of range, but awesome too see!!!
    Yiu guys kill it for sure!!!
    Post a report of your venice trip, or better yet just bring me
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    That is impressive, wahoo is on top of my list of favorite fish to catch. That has to be an awesome feeling to be in the water with a school of wahoo.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Simply bad ***! Killer job again this season fellas.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    That is just fantastic....

Sent from my Droid