Big Pompano, Snook On Fly and More! 2/24/13

Florida Sportsman

Big Pompano, Snook On Fly and More! 2/24/13

Went out in the Gheenoe Friday night to try and get on some snook. Winds were coming from the south and Sewalls Point was completely infested with jacks so we hit some lights that don't hold monster snook, but targeted them with the 5 weight fly rod. Pulled up to the first light and had a snook swipe at my fly but miss. Get to the next light and fish on! Felt big, but a 24 incher would feel big on this. Pulled off, very next cast, hooked up again! Land my first ever snook on fly! Found another canal with some underwater lights that had snook all over them, but wouldn't hit anything.

Did a little wading on Saturday afternoon and it was very choppy with strong south winds. We covered a big flat with 2 jacks and a ladyfish to show for our efforts. Then Chris hooks up to a drag screamer! Not coming up like a trout and after a good fight, Chris yells "Pompano!". A pretty big one at that. A litte over 20 inches to the fork. Which became his dinner. No trout, which was very odd.

Dad decided to let Mom fish in the Gheenoe today so they went out and had a fun trip. Caught jacks, big ladyfish and some small trout. These were all firsts for my mom! With the west winds, Chris and I went a little further north to Ft.Pierce to wade. Very calm on the west side when we showed up and immediately got on the trout. Caught 7 trout in 10 minutes. Then it starts to POUR. The wind switches around east and became very windy. Fished for a while before it began to rain hard again. Getting pretty discouraged and being soaking wet, we were about to call it a day, but the rain let up. Fish began to pop everywhere once it was calm again. A 24 to 25 inch trout launched out of the water on my Rip N Slash, but never really got it. A few casts later, I got a respectable over 20 inch trout and then we doubled up before the wind started up again and the bite shut down. Ended up with 12 trout, none of which were caught while it was windy or raining, only when it was calm. Overall a pretty good weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails we8.jpg   we7.jpg   we5.jpg   we6.jpg   we4.jpg   we3.jpg   we2.jpg   we1.jpg  

Thanks for the report. Both parents that fish helps explain your committment. I was blessed with parents and grandparents who thought the only good vacation was spent fishing.

Trout bite died at Walton and Midway. Kind of surprising as conditions don't seem to have changed.

Grey Beard

Looks like you had another great day on the water.Kudo's to your Mom as well.Tight lines.

Another Great Report, by the way can't wait to get those Rip-n-Slash out in the water
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan

Thanks for the awesome report!

Congrats i know how it feels, caught my first snook on fly about 3 weeks ago and tarpon in the same night
    There's no such thing as too much bait!

Nice report. I hit that area about a month ago without much success. Have things been picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeL View Post
    Nice report. I hit that area about a month ago without much success. Have things been picking up?
    The bite is always good, but since I fish here practically everyday, I can keep up with where the fish go and what they're doing.