VMax SHO 150 price?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

VMax SHO 150 price?

Has anyone priced out one of these yet? I'm wondering if in this case lighter is better using a 4 banger instead of a 6? Pro's and cons?

MTD, not sure what they are going to list for but I'm sure it will be a premium for the first 6 months or more until dealers can readily get them. I wish you would order one and hang it on your Egret and give us some run numbers. I need to see if it's something I can't live without. I knew they would come out with this right after I build my Egret with a F150. Honestly they would have to come out with a 175 SHO before I would consider an upgrade.

I do know it is a BIG and heavy motor. It looks like the cowling is much "higher" than the F150. That might present issues with a poling tower. Still, I would love to hear how one runs on a 18'9.

Big and heavy compared to what? The media hype is 12#'s more than my HPDI 150 and when you factor in no oil well it comes in lighter. The problem for me is the 17k price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by mtd885 View Post
    Big and heavy compared to what? The media hype is 12#'s more than my HPDI 150 and when you factor in no oil well it comes in lighter. The problem for me is the 17k price tag!
    The standard F150 is some 480 lbs DRY. Add fluids on the motor and the hung weight is pushing 490+. Reports are the 150 SHO is 15lbs give or take HEAVIER than the standard F150. Compare that to 431lbs for the Opti and 418 for the Etec. Oil reservoirs are on board, so that actually is a "no add" on two strokes (mine is under the drivers seat and very close to the COG on the boat). I'm actually more of a Yamaha fan than anything else, but after having the F150 on a prior flats skiff, I'm waiting for it to go on a diet. Some don't care about the extra weight. Some don't understand what an extra 70lbs hanging off the transom does to handling and performance. That be the case, there is an A$$ for every seat in this world. If it comes in lighter than 450, it is a slam dunk for my repower.

The one at the Miami Show did not have the sho gear case that comes with the bigger motors. It had a standard F150 gear case. The streamline design of the gear case is good for 2 MPH plus. I hope it was a prototype at the show.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	972257_c28ff3b01c236fcb1d430abcf30708a3.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	73547

Quote Originally Posted by mtd885 View Post
    480 LBS dry add oil & a prop! It is tall good luck fitting it under the standard tower height on a 189.Yes also standard gear case!
    Not for me!

Egret 2011 Mercury 250 Pro XS

i was thinking more along the lines of the F200. I already have the F150 and it really doesnt way anymore and only about $500 more than the SHO. The engines are nearly identical except for bigger pistons etc. I think it only weighs 2-3 pounds more than the 150. Oh and screw the insurance venue, as far as im concerned i could pull the numbers off the cowling and have everyone think its my old 150

If you do a F200 you might as well get the 200 SHO. If you do the 200 SHO you might as well do the 250 SHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    . Oh and screw the insurance venue, as far as im concerned i could pull the numbers off the cowling and have everyone think its my old 150
    I would be tempted for the same, but not sure the new 200 comes in 20" shaft. Also, just about the time you really need insurance is when they will do EVERYTHING possible within their rights to deny a claim. They may seem stupid, but they have seen the cowling trick before. Likely you will never need that type of coverage, but if you do....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast