Estero Bay 2\19 and 2\20

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Estero Bay 2\19 and 2\20

Fishing Estero Bay this week was defintaly though , after that big cold front over the weekend the bay remained clear in most spots but droped the water temps back down to 65 degrees . Tuesday I fished with DTobias , he has been going thru some repairs latly and just put on a brandy new 200hp Yamaha and is back in action , we did some running around on the outside looking for bait first thing in the morning to find the birds but no bait . We changed gears and headed back in to see if we could find some lady fish and trout to play with while we waited for the draging tide to roll in , we found pleantyalong the main cannals heading to the passes . When the tide finnally was high enough to head to the back we hit several point's with no luck at all , and with still not enough water to hit the flats we called it a day by 3pm . Wensday I changedd gears , had my skiff out there and one of my step sons along for the ride . same story went out to the channals first played with the trout , but I did not wait for the tide . We started heading over the grass and mud flats in about 6 to 12 inches of water and found the reds , we managed a couple of lower slots that were let go and a couple of break offs to some larger ones , the tide was draging again and stalled around 12pm and so did the bight . The water temp was up by time we pulled out to 69 degrees , so if the water temp stays like this I would check up around the trees come this weekend , and keep the lines tight guys they will be feeding .
    JSTickum

Good report. It's probably only going to get better with the water temperatures going up. Can't wait to get down there.

Thanks for the report Jim. I went out on Saturday just after 12 to test out my new prop and fish for a couple of hours and the winds were horrible. I don't think I have ever seen the bay so nasty and the bite was off. Hopefully I can make it out this Saturday

Thanks for a very honest report,no one finds gold(fish) on every try. That being said you do most of the time.
    larrywitt

Tough break, but points for braving the post cold front waters. Good report as always though. I found a few bites on the Imperial River Monday, but only small jacks and mangoes. I'll be hitting the flats and the back this weekend and hope to post a JSTickum-quality report.

Quote Originally Posted by larrywitt View Post
    Thanks for a very honest report,no one finds gold(fish) on every try. That being said you do most of the time.
    larrywitt
    Was out fished by the Kid today , he got 2 nice Reds 1 - 24 incher and this one that was right at 27 inches
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	73225
    , the lessons are over , I did take him to town on the Trout and Pompano ealier in the day and did get my a$$ handed to me by a monster that I could not stop , they are hanging about 10 to 20 feet off the Groves in the grass ,,, the water temp is up to 72 ,,, and the Trout and the Pomps are still hanging on the edge of the channals on the incoming and out going tides

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyry View Post
    Tough break, but points for braving the post cold front waters. Good report as always though. I found a few bites on the Imperial River Monday, but only small jacks and mangoes. I'll be hitting the flats and the back this weekend and hope to post a JSTickum-quality report.

I Hope so , I have been meaning toget back into the river lately , have the Juvy Tarpon started rolling back ther yet ,,,,,, a little tip for the bay to help ya out short tailed bucktails in the 1\8oz to 1\4oz range brown and gold mixed , I have been cutting the hair to a 1\8 of a inch behind the hook and tipping them with shrimp , that rig is catching everything

Quote Originally Posted by JSTickum View Post
    I Hope so , I have been meaning toget back into the river lately , have the Juvy Tarpon started rolling back ther yet ,,,,,, a little tip for the bay to help ya out short tailed bucktails in the 1\8oz to 1\4oz range brown and gold mixed , I have been cutting the hair to a 1\8 of a inch behind the hook and tipping them with shrimp , that rig is catching everything
    Haven't seen any tarpon yet, but there were some baby bull sharks near the big bend. There were plenty of manatees hanging out back there with the cold last weekend too.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try that out. The channel edges are calling my name tomorrow morning, so who knows what I'll catch. Does frozen shrimp do the trick. Or does fresh bait make a big difference?

Fresh is always better, but I use frozen if I'm just tipping my jigs and it seems to work okay. Obviously, the frozen tends to soften up quickly, thus not staying on the hook as long as live or fresh dead would. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Nice fish!!! I bet he was a happy man after outfishing the master....

www.Tri-TownConstruction.com

Let's turn this economy around! BUY AMERICAN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast