Nikon D7100 specs leaked

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nikon D7100 specs leaked

Formal announcement tomorrow.

Looks like a nice uptick of the specs. Notable is no AA filter and a 3.2 inch LED like the big boys. The sensor was expected. Native ISO to 6400 is killer - now you can shoot in the near dark with no (little) image degradation.

Will need to see the body on Thursday to see if there is direct access to some controls like the D300s. Also notable is Nikon missed it on the video side with only "i" for the two high frame rates in 1080 resolution. Not enough processing power I guess.

Leaked Nikon D7100 specs:

24.1MP CMOS sensor
    6fps
    No AA filter (similar to the D800E)
    51 AF point, 15 cross-type
    Built-in HDR function
    2016-pixel RGB sensor
    3.2" 1,229k dots LCD screen
    Dual SD card slots
    EXPEED 3 processor
    ISO range: 100-6400
    Video: 1080p @ 60i/50i/30/25/24 fps plus 720p @ 60p
    Compatible with the WU-1a wireless mobile adapter

Edit Thursday morning: The official announcement now made. Same price as the D7000, amazingly. 51 point focus system. Wow (stolen from the pro cameras.)

Now knowing the price point of this camera, there is a gaping hole in the Nikon price point line up. The D7100 is $1200 and the D600 is just under $2,000. That leaves (hopefully) room for the D300s replacement. Looks like Nikon crippled a few features in this camera, hinting there may be another body to come.

One last point: For you artificial light shooters (probably not many here), max flash sync 1/320th !! Nice surprise.

Some additional info for those interested:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0221_dslr_01.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/index.htm

http://www.nphotomag.com/2013/02/21/...eed-to-know/3/
    Last edited by WaterEngineer; 02-21-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    "I'm not a physicist." ~ ac2020

"It's a shame PACs cannot simply lie and get away with it." ~ SWFL

I don't think I'll have a burning desire to upgrade from my D7000 but will admit that the higher MP might be useful for cropping.

Chuck, this will be the killer for folks like you and I. I just got up to speed on the full specs.

Go to the Nikon link above and scroll down to the buffer capacity. Sad. Very Sad. More sad than the D7K. I will wait based on that reported statistic alone.

I will be replacing one of two camera bodies this year. Currently, I shoot a D90 and D7K. The D90 has close to 80K shutter actuations on it and will be close to the Nikon estimate 100K by the end of the year. While I take good care of my stuff this body is getting tired. Now it is mostly relegated to sitting on the stand for time lapse. I can easily put on 2K or 2.5K actuations in a weekend, shooting a street painting event. Sooooooooo, I will be looking in the last quarter of the year. Hopefully, the rumors about a D400 are true.

i don't see how a crop sensor can utilize 24mp without a bunch of noise, especially at high iso...
    canon pretty much kept the 7d at 18 mp because they felt that was just about optimum for a crop sensor....

i'm still pleased with my 40d with 10.2 mp and my xti at 10.2....
    both cameras deliver very good images with the ability to print to 24"x36", and be tack sharp.

i'm approaching 80k clicks with them. the xti just came back from keh for a thorough cleaning and check up....
    the tech report says the shutter box and camera are in excellent mechanical condition and wouldn't be surprised if it went 200k clicks...
    and i will tell you i beat the crap out of my bodies....they ride for long distances in my bay bay boat and are constantly in a salt water environment....

Craig, having said that...i don't know if you really can't get a lot more out of your d90 than you think...

tim

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....

What did KEH charge you to clean and checkup? The local guy wants $70 to clean the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckc View Post
    What did KEH charge you to clean and checkup? The local guy wants $70 to clean the sensor.
    $75 american...should have been more but it ran into a problem with one of the lower techs during qc before shipping...
    so a senior tech went over it to make sure the sensor was indeed clean and there were no other problems...
    keh uses a flat rate system now so you can go to their web site, pick out what you want done, and that will be the price...period...

tim

The Real White Dog

I am looking for a new body. Currently own a D7000 and D40. Until the D7100 came out, I was planning on getting a D600. Now I am not sure if I want to go FX with the D600 or buy the new top of the line DX D7100. I only have one FX lens. Any pros / cons or other opinions?

Steton Law, the D7100 is too new for a full test and review. The sensor is new and by a (new to Nikon) vendor, so the jury is still out. Also, wait for the review of the 2X crop function, which will leave the same resolution as the D7K, but more zoom function (obviously.) The burst rate and buffer are sad, very sad. Supposedly better video implementation.

The D600 is a capable camera. In DX mode it is a 10Mpix camera if you can live with that. I will speculate you can since you still use your D40. Again, burst rate and buffer aren't great. Personally, I would want more rate and buffer for jumping sailfish, etc. Further, my D90 is way faster and deeper (with a battery grip) than the D7000.

I do know two people with the D600 and they are very happy, but neither is a big action user.

I am going to wait for reviews of the sensor and focus system on the D7100. Hopefully by that time it will be clear(er) if the rumors for a D400 (or whatever they call it) will actually materialize. Reports are for an announcement in April and for it hit the street in October, but as for the last three years.......this is the most recent rumor.

i'm waiting to see what canon is going to do...
    they are long over due in the xxd series (the 60d is an abomination)...
    and the 7d has been out there for 3 years...
    i have noticed the prices of the 7d coming way down which is usually an indicator that something new may be on the horizon...
    i just hope what ever replaces the 7d uses cf cards as i have a truck load of them...

tim

The Real White Dog

CanonRumors.com claims there is a Mark II in the offing, by the end of the summer. Of course that misses vacationers, but it does catch the holiday buying season. I think Canon was also hurt by the events in the Far East last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast