Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If employers are responsible for paying for employee's health care, they have every right to hire those at lower risk for utilizing health care & driving up insurance costs... You wanted Obama-Care... You got it...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

Quote Originally Posted by reel stamas View Post
    If employers are responsible for paying for employee's health care, they have every right to hire those at lower risk for utilizing health care & driving up insurance costs... You wanted Obama-Care... You got it...
    You really want to go down this road?
    "....once the glitches get worked out." ~gunby31

voice of enlightenment in a sea of idiots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Battery View Post
    What do you think the "Where does it stop?" Mean?
    Privately owned companies, yes, they can hire whomever they want. Freedom of association. But corporations, no, they should not be allowed to discriminate. Corporations have special rights and therefore lose some of what we call individuals rights.

So you think the law should make smokers a "protected class" as these are the only ones now that discrimination laws apply to? What if i woke up tomorrow and decided to fire all the red-heads that work for my company. They are not a "protected class" so under Florida law I can fire all of them at my whim. This too would be discrimination so do you want to make red heads a protected class or just add some more laws and government making any form of discrimination illegal?

Now, if you want to make any form of discrimination illegal then you better support the labor unions. The first thing they do when they get control of a work force is insist that the companies can ONLY fire "for cause". Bet you would support that too.

Quote Originally Posted by chubasco View Post
    So you think the law should make smokers a "protected class" as these are the only ones now that discrimination laws apply to? What if i woke up tomorrow and decided to fire all the red-heads that work for my company. They are not a "protected class" so under Florida law I can fire all of them at my whim. This too would be discrimination so do you want to make red heads a protected class or just add some more laws and government making any form of discrimination illegal?

Now, if you want to make any form of discrimination illegal then you better support the labor unions. The first thing they do when they get control of a work force is insist that the companies can ONLY fire "for cause". Bet you would support that too.
    No, not a protected class because that would require a new freaking law for every single new thing that some corporation wanted to not hire you for. I think that what you do outside the fence should have no bearing to a corporate employer. I am differentiating from private employer. I can see the expansion of this over time as my list above would show that I can find many many reasons to not hire someone because of choices they make on activities outside the fence that could conceivably cost the employer money.

More unintended consequences of the Employer Funded Healthcare Mandate (as is Employers cutting most employee's hours to <30hrs/week)... Enjoy!!!
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

Quote Originally Posted by reel stamas View Post
    More unintended consequences of the Employer Funded Healthcare Mandate (as is Employers cutting most employee's hours to <30hrs/week)... Enjoy!!!

This has NOTHING to do with ObamaCare. Insurance companies were already charging more for smoker healthcare

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12