Why I Believe In God - A Simple Common Sense Explanation - Page 11

Florida Sportsman

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 121
  1. #101
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,362
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh49 View Post

    (1) Possibly written by men through the devine intervention of God?


    God does not get co-authorship or royalties. Neither does Andy.

    Creationism was declared a religious belief by the supreme court and was barred from being taught in public schools as an "alternative" viewpoint to science. Intelligent design is a re-branding of the same non- principles.

    You need to check your citations. The big bang is not "his" theory. It is a theory which is the generally accepted explanation for the creation of the universe, crazy people excepted.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  2. #102
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,362
    Quote Originally Posted by earl40 View Post
    Did you not say that creation did not arise out of nothing as Augustine and the catechism says? If so, I would not say you could not be a RC but if so you simply do not agree with
    Augustine and the catechism.


    Jesus Christ, give it a rest.

    Watch the video.

    Read



    and



    And learn something.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  3. #103
    Senior Member brentsum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Banks of the Wabash.....
    Posts
    1,341
    Good grief, Schrödinger's cat is turning over in its grave right now - or is it? Hmmm............

  4. #104
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,362
    Quote Originally Posted by brentsum View Post
    Good grief, Schrödinger's cat is turning over in its grave right now - or is it? Hmmm............
    Better look at it and see.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    I am Roman Catholic, Earl. I know that there is a distinct difference between theology and science. There is nothing about science that conflicts with my beliefs. Many Roman Catholic clergy subcribe to similar views as Hawking.

    Below are a few quotes that I thought were interesting.

    "God did not determine the tree to be this way"

    If He did not who or what did? IOW the "tree" came about by random processes that God did not want.

    "Boy you are going to make me commit heresy"

    A response that painted him into a corner that he knew conflicted with official biblical and RC theology with science. At least he was honest unlike you on this point.

    "putting aside religious belief completely and speaking as a scientist"

    Why would you have to put aside, or deny, religious belief if science and faith don't conflict. He did exactly that because he knows one ought not to have contradictory beliefs which he obviously does and ADMITS with a very nervous chuckle.



    "I know of places in the bible that teaches stories myths and fables"

    I wonder where in the catechism it says fables are taught? I will let you show me where.

    "Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other"

    Here we have God according to him inspiring men to write lies. Of course this assume he believes the bible is inspired by The Holy Spirit.

    "all light comes from the sun and the stars"

    The Jewish fella gave him a better answer to the Genesis 1 and 2 "contradictions" and he foo fooed it by thinking the Jewish fella was ignorant.

    "The church was ignorant of Galileo"

    The church back then at least understood that if Galileo was wrong he (Galileo) was teaching falsehood. For that I commend the church. The problem is of course is that the church was reading the bible incorrectly by not understanding that phenomenal language is an acceptable form of communication and the scripture often uses this type of language.

    "He says he can not prove God exists"

    He does not have to because God has done so already. Which I KNOW you do not agree with what the bible teaches here.

    "If I believe in miracles" "Publicly I do"

    He admits he is in trouble because he denies many miracles in the bible that do not fit in his preconceived notion of what science teaches. Interesting he does that because he won't deny the Resurrection or virgin birth. We call this picking and choosing and being a cafeteria catholic. You are right next to him at the register.

    He described a Jeffersonian type of god who wound up the clock and sat back and did nothing to guide how the universe was formed. He admits this point blank that God did not determine which way the universe will go. This goes back to "Boy you are going to make me commit heresy" and he did it with a smile. That is very sad and I only pray you flee to the cross one day.
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,362
    I really don't think that you understand humor or nuance or are at all capable of the higher literary functions as you constantly demonstrate.

    Pick up on it. He's a smart guy who makes a lot of sense, with the endorsement of the Holy See, which he was employed to doing in an heavenly direction.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    PS. he did not address the topic of what was there before any type of creation...as do you BTW. Do you assume matter or energy is eternal?
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    I really don't think that you understand humor or nuance or are at all capable of the higher literary functions as you constantly demonstrate.

    Pick up on it. He's a smart guy who makes a lot of sense, with the endorsement of the Holy See, which he was employed to do heavenly.
    I understand exactly what he said contrary to what you say. Makes me wonder if you even watched the video yourself. I doubt it because what I wrote was IN CONTEXT smiles and all.
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,362
    Catholicism is not simple enough for you , Earl. It involves intellectualism, scholarship and obedience and as Father Coyne explains SCIENCE , all three you object to not only out of inconvenience but of incapacity.

    And thats OK.

    Not everyone can play in Jesus' major league.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    Catholicism is not simple enough for you , Earl. It involves intellectualism, scholarship and obedience and as Father Coyne explains SCIENCE , all three you object to not only out of inconvenience but of incapacity.

    And thats OK.

    Not everyone can play in Jesus' major league.
    I am happy to just be on the team. The intellectual dissidence decried in that video is simply amazing. He does exactly what you decry that should not happen....Watch the video. He clearly separates science from faith because he says they are not compatible. This is why he says the bible has fables.

    PS Still waiting for the catechism answer to the question. Does the bible contain fables?
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •