Kars Park Boondoggle + 1,000 island park

Florida Sportsman

Kars Park Boondoggle + 1,000 island park

Despite the windy condition we still managed to have a great weekend. Our weekend started with early morning morning drive to Kars Park. The temperature for saturday was very enjoyable. We made a quick pit stop at the boondoggle. I've never seen so many kayak anglers in one place. Looked like a blast.

As for our time on water.
    We left Kars park headed almost straight out for deeper water. We fished for a while..After only two >10" trout, the frustrating puffer fish destroying my gulp and the wind picking up we decided to head for cover. My friend said that 1,000 Island Park in cocoa beach has miles of mangrove canals to fish. It was a great place. Lots of canals that protected us from the wind. We saw a few small schools of reds that had lock jaw and tons of finger mullet. As the day went on we found ourselves slightly lost in the mangrove maze. As we paddled to find our out way it didn't seem as thought the lady of the sea was going to give up any fish. Then Bam! I was hooked up in a narrow canal..As I was pulled into the mangroves I lowered my rod into the water in hopes that my line wouldn't catch on any of the branches below the water. I paddled myself one handed out of the mangroves as i called out to my buddy to come help should I bring the fish in to take pictures.

After paddling around a bit longer we found our way out. We drove back to orlando tired and beaten from the day but it was still a great day.
    I can't wait to get back there.

I have to give mad props to my bending branches angler classic.. If you haven't used one it has a hook cut out of one paddle to help retrieve lures that land up in the trees and out of reach. It helped save a few lures this weekend.

Doing the fish dance before heading out.

We are here to pump you up.

Here is my small trout at kars park.

At the 1,000 island launch.

My fat red.

Jocofi,

Nice red! FYI, the south end of 1000 Islands has always produced reds for me. Launch at the ramp and head south then west around the last mangroves and fish that whole edge that's open to the river. Again, nice red.
    Proud Air Force Vet 93'-00'

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice red. Hope to make the next Boongoggle.

Davederb, Thanks man. Is the area that google maps calls shortys pocket the area you're talking about? We hope to get back up there again before it summer time. Are the mosquitos bad in that area when it warms up?

nice red, and nice report too!

See the area in red that I am referring to. I have had luck fishing this whole south side (the whole red line). The west side where it says "flats" is exactly that. There are nice sand holes there that I have seen monster trout as I am moving through there. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000 islands.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	72847

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Very helpful..Thanks man..There was no way we could have fished that area last time.. Hopefully the wind will have died down by the next time.

Yeah, I have been there and its howling and blowing me right into the mangroves. the anchor and park-n-pole wouldnt work either as the ground was too hard to grab hold. Wind needs to be right. Glad to help and hit me up if you ever wanna meet up there to fish. I enjoy it there.

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Heck yeah man..have you fished the sebastian inlet? I've wanted to fish that sometime.