Auto engage for Penn Liveliner?

Florida Sportsman

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar

Auto engage for Penn Liveliner?

I have a 4600 Liveliner and would like to know if there is a part that will enable it to auto-engage? I've heard on earlier models there was a clip or something that could be removed to disable the auto-engage.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pescatoral Pursuit; 02-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    He hath shewed thee, O man, What is good, and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.
    Micah 6:8

Good morning.....Penn does have a upgrade for the live liner action which would make it trip automatically. It takes a few parts and a little time and you're good to go. If you wanted to send the reel to us to have the work done you would only be charged a small labor fee for the upgrade. Please forward the reel to the address below along with your contact information and a copy of this message.

Take care......Tom

Penn Reel Mfg.
    Attention: Service Department
    3028 West Hunting Park Ave.
    Philadelphia, PA 19132
    tmblecker@purefishing.com

I'm excited to hear that!

Thanks.
    He hath shewed thee, O man, What is good, and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

I had that upgrade done several years ago and it's perfect.

Just want to report that I got my reel back from Penn. It was a 3 week turnaround for just under $30 for the conversion, full service, new bail arm and drag discs, and shipping. They even replaced the handle because the paint was peeling off, but I couldn't resist adding a gold anodized handle to "church it up" a bit, and it looks great. (Even though it almost doubled the bill.) Just in time to chase some monster blues with it off the beach.

Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liveliner ls.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	81329

After:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liveliner w new handle.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	81330

Ain't she purddy! Now if I can just find a nice 8' "bait and wait" rod to go with it...

Thanks again, PENN!
    Last edited by Pescatoral Pursuit; 04-17-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Glad to know that you are happy and everything looks great. In regards to a rod check out the 8' Legion or Regiment rods. There is an 8' 8-15lb and 10-17lb rod in the Legion series and there is an 8' 8-15lb rod in the Regiment series. Both are great rods and would match perfectly with your 4600LL.

Glad you're happy with your conversion. Personally I prefer the manual engage, it prevents accidental tripping and allows me to wind in a little while disengaged when live-lining. Too bad Penn has followed the others and done away with this feature. Hope my old LL keeps on going forever!
    Last edited by Lone_Fisher; 05-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Different strokes...

I found reaching back to engage the drag required letting go of the handle at a crucial moment.