Chumming Question

Florida Sportsman

Talking Chumming Question

Hi All. Wanted to ask a crazy question about chumming since I am just a beginner. I tend to, from time to time, catch baitfish such as pinfish & yellow striped mojaris in the canal. I am wondering if I could take these, say pinfish when caught, cut them up & put in my chum bag & drop in the water? I always buy the frozen blocks of chum at the local bait stores.

Has anybody ever done something like this? Thoughts/comments/feedback would be very much appreciated. Keep in mind I am fishing on a canal (on foot). Thanks!

Chum blocks are just that, cut up peices of baitfish. The chum churn is a device that does exactly what your describing. My only thought about it is that chum is most effective when there is some current to spread it out, allowing the fish to follow the scent trail back to you. If your canal has a current it can be very effective.
    The most effective chum is made from oily fish such as menhaden and sardines. less oily fish can be augmented by adding fish oil into the mix.

CMD

Quote Originally Posted by Catmandew View Post
    Chum blocks are just that, cut up peices of baitfish. The chum churn is a device that does exactly what your describing. My only thought about it is that chum is most effective when there is some current to spread it out, allowing the fish to follow the scent trail back to you. If your canal has a current it can be very effective.
    The most effective chum is made from oily fish such as menhaden and sardines. less oily fish can be augmented by adding fish oil into the mix.

CMD
    The canal does have a current. This canal leads to the Intracoastal near Port Everglades. I know that chum is frozen fish guts, etc. I was wondering if I could just cut up some myself like Pinfish & put in my chum bag. I guess I can always buy some sardines & put them in the chumbag. I also thought about taking a plastic empty soda bottle, filling it with menhaden oil, putting a small hole in it, tieing it up to the pilings & throwing it in the water during a fast moving current. The problem is menhaden oil is expensive. Have you ever done anything like that? Also, my next door neighbor dumps cat food in the canal during a slack tide as opposed to a fast moving tide. He never fishes. If I can find a good price on menhaden oil, I will buy it & do that instead of buying chum blocks.

Yea, pinfish and mojarra are not very oily. However, you could certainly do that. The chum churn will grind them real fine, then you could add menhaden oil, you would have an excellent chum mix. Buying blocked chum in expensive, however chum churns are not real cheap either, and they are messy so make sure you have a place where you can clean it well. Current def helps with dispersing the scent. However, you will still get some attraction even without a good moving current, the water is still goin in and out. You most likely gets loads morn pinfish and mojarra. Which, could likely attacct the snook ,poons, and snapper that may be in the canal.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by katwoman85 View Post
    The canal does have a current. This canal leads to the Intracoastal near Port Everglades. I know that chum is frozen fish guts, etc. I was wondering if I could just cut up some myself like Pinfish & put in my chum bag. I guess I can always buy some sardines & put them in the chumbag. I also thought about taking a plastic empty soda bottle, filling it with menhaden oil, putting a small hole in it, tieing it up to the pilings & throwing it in the water during a fast moving current. The problem is menhaden oil is expensive. Have you ever done anything like that? Also, my next door neighbor dumps cat food in the canal during a slack tide as opposed to a fast moving tide. He never fishes. If I can find a good price on menhaden oil, I will buy it & do that instead of buying chum blocks.
    Soak cat food with regular Quaker rolled oats in some of that Menhaden oil and add a can of tuna = homemade chum (not as effective, but works well) The blocks you're getting may turn out to be more effective in the long run. Near your chum bag you should see crabs on the bottom feeding off the chum. Tie a regular piece of chicken to some string and lower it down, when the crab clamps down slowwwwwwy pull him out of the water. Either chop that crab up for chum OR put him on a nice 2/0 hook and send him down current for a big tarpon or jack.

Have you used any of these smaller pinfish as bait? ANYTHING will eat a pinfish :-)
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by ZimmerNole View Post
    Soak cat food with regular Quaker rolled oats in some of that Menhaden oil and add a can of tuna = homemade chum (not as effective, but works well) The blocks you're getting may turn out to be more effective in the long run. Near your chum bag you should see crabs on the bottom feeding off the chum. Tie a regular piece of chicken to some string and lower it down, when the crab clamps down slowwwwwwy pull him out of the water. Either chop that crab up for chum OR put him on a nice 2/0 hook and send him down current for a big tarpon or jack.

Have you used any of these smaller pinfish as bait? ANYTHING will eat a pinfish :-)
    Don't laugh Zimmernole but I have a crab trap down in the water with a few layers of muck on it. I should pull it out & clean it up & put some chicken necks in there. Yeah, those SOBs (blue crabs) have eaten holes in every one of my chum bags. Can't use them now. I have to get new ones. I think I may just stick with the block of chum. They have two kinds & one has the milk in it? I think menhaden milk or something. Always cost a dollar more. Wonder if it is worth it or just use the regular chum. I have not used the pinfish as bait yet. Should I just unhook him & rehook him & throw him out for the snook & tarpons? I know from what I read, tarpon love to eat dead bait (mullet) fished patiently on the bottom. I also have a barricuda that hangs out under the dock just watching. I can never seem to get him using squid and/or DOAs/Berkleys like the shrimp. What should I use to try & land him? He is at least a foot long or more.

Quote Originally Posted by katwoman85 View Post
    Don't laugh Zimmernole but I have a crab trap down in the water with a few layers of muck on it. I should pull it out & clean it up & put some chicken necks in there. Yeah, those SOBs (blue crabs) have eaten holes in every one of my chum bags. Can't use them now. I have to get new ones. I think I may just stick with the block of chum. They have two kinds & one has the milk in it? I think menhaden milk or something. Always cost a dollar more. Wonder if it is worth it or just use the regular chum. I have not used the pinfish as bait yet. Should I just unhook him & rehook him & throw him out for the snook & tarpons? I know from what I read, tarpon love to eat dead bait (mullet) fished patiently on the bottom. I also have a barricuda that hangs out under the dock just watching. I can never seem to get him using squid and/or DOAs/Berkleys like the shrimp. What should I use to try & land him? He is at least a foot long or more.
    Hook that pinfish through the noce and dangle him in front of that cuda, if he doesn't eat that....then I have no clue!

Put a pin on a 2/0 hook, 30lb leader and a cork or bobber about a 14-18" above the bait. Float him out with the current, and put the rod into a rod holder, drink your beer and wait.
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, Fla
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimmerNole View Post
    Hook that pinfish through the noce and dangle him in front of that cuda, if he doesn't eat that....then I have no clue!

Put a pin on a 2/0 hook, 30lb leader and a cork or bobber about a 14-18" above the bait. Float him out with the current, and put the rod into a rod holder, drink your beer and wait.
    Damn fine advise there. I'm not much of one for fishing under a bobber but do the same with my drag set real light and the clicker on.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

my suggestion would be to pick up an old counter top meat grinder. my dad took one and fitted it to fit in a rod holder on the boat and every time we'd catch needlefish or grunts or blue runners or crap fish in general we'd just hack em up and throw them in there and then put it in a tupperware container coated with pam with some oats and menhaden oil then put the block in the bag. we always had more luck with that as opposed to just cutting them up and just tossing the over

The store bought chum is just whole menhaden or sardines(depending on brand) run through a meat grinder and frozen. As for the menhaden oil, if you have access an IV bag, fill it with and start a controlled drip. you want it to slow drip with just enough to create a slick that will go out with the current. I also put some in a spray bottle for spraying a quick slick when checking shallow reef's in the keys. The slick lets you see down onto the reef like a glass bottom bucket. The advantage of the frozen chum block is that the scent and the peices will drop to depth as it works its way back in the current.

CMD