ANCHOR SIZE AND RODE??

Florida Sportsman

ANCHOR SIZE AND RODE??

I got the new boat home on Saturday, and can hardly wait to get it in the water. Took it up to "Carp Coastal Marine", in Grant, for a new Minn Kota iPilot install, batteries, on board charger, etc. I will begin putting all of my gear into it this weekend and hit the water first thing next week.

It is a Sea Pro, SV2100, with Merc 150 Verado. My question... What type and size of anchor should I use? How long should I make the anchor rode? What type of rope is best... twisted nylon or braided nylon... for the rode? I know I need a length of chain and I plan to drill a hole in the base and attach the chain to the shank and eye, with zip ties, for backing it out if it gets hung. I have a 7lb and a 13lb fluke type anchor, which should/could I use??

I live in the Sebastian area and plan to fish the lagoon and near shore on good days.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    GOD BLESS AND TIGHT LINES!

Same boat here.

I use a 8# sea claw as it came with the boat. I also have a spare larger fluke but it won’t fit in the locker so I keep it in a storage tube in the large center hatch if I fell I needed it.
    My current rode configuration is the SeaClaw to 8' of 1/2" galv to 50' of 1/2", spliced to 200' of 3/8" (both twisted nylon)

I know it sounds like complicated. But the previous owner had only 120' of 1/2 & 5' of 3/8 chain. As time came to replace my rode I wanted longer for nearshore like yourself. so I dropped down to 3/8" @ 200' it suited all my needs except it was a PIA to retrieve without an anchor ball due to the small diameter. So I had a rigging shop splice in 50' of the 1/2" . Now I get the best of both worlds. I wish I could go all 1/2" but our lockers are suited for "bay" length rodes for a reason.

Good luck
    SV2100

I want an Ipilot for mine. What size did you go with?

I'm not familure with the area you fish but if typical depths are <50' you should be good with the 8#, 8' of 1/2" & 150' of 1/2" twisted.
    SV2100

The Samson braid is very nice on the hands when pulling the anchor and lays very nice in the rope locker. Little more $ but nice stuff. I also expect that on nice days you will run offshore and even if you don't plan on bottom fishing it's always a good idea to have a bit more rode and chain to hold bottom in the event of a breakdown and rougher seas.

I would try your 13lb fluke. I have a 22'7" classic mako that weighs about 2400lbs dry and a 12lb fluke didn't work for me. I'm using 300' of 5/8" rope with 15' of chain.

Upgraded to 16lb claw type and it holds good now.

If yo're planning on bottom fishing, skip the fluke anchor and go with a grapple.

They grab rock and reef better, which is where you want to fish, if you end up having to pop it loose with the boat a grapple is WAY safer and more user-freindly, and lastly think about the design of a fluke anchor...sorta has wings doesn't it?

Think about what that does on the anchor's journey to the bottom. Might not end up where you dropped it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by spodabfishin View Post
    I want an Ipilot for mine. What size did you go with?

I'm not familure with the area you fish but if typical depths are <50' you should be good with the 8#, 8' of 1/2" & 150' of 1/2" twisted.
    I got the 80ST w/60" shaft. I really didn't want to have three batteries cost, taking up more room, etc, and on days when the 80lb thrust would not be "enough"... I would probably stay home anyhow.

THANKS for all of the good advice. I already have an 800ft spool of both braid and twisted 1/2 inch, so I just need to decide which one to use.
    GOD BLESS AND TIGHT LINES!