Changed by the Power of the Gospel - Page 11

Florida Sportsman

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by earl40 View Post
    That is crap that is taught by the RC church. You may not know this but what I wrote is spot on. Or do you want me to pull the RC catechism on ya again?
    Earl, your misunderstanding of Catholicism is legend.

You are not going to convince me as an apostate that anything you have to say in criticism of may faith is valid, no matter how much you insist.

So:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    I think the bible is exactly what the Catholic Church intended to say to its clergy and was not intended for your consumption at all without their guidance, Earl.

Why is that you seem to keep ignoring this fundamental piece of history and fact?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by earl40 View Post
    No doubt you would get two different lines of thought. I suspect Gary is not a fan of Paul and His writings like John and his.
    I think you would get two different lines of thought also, that is why I asked. The question I have is that do you believe that Paul's letter to Philemon on Onesimus's behalf is a fact of history, or just a parable. Here is that book of Philemon in it's entirety-

Paul's letter to Philemon, (NKJV)

(Greeting)

1 Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,

To Philemon our beloved friend and fellow laborer, 2 to the beloved Apphia, Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house:

3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

(Philemon’s Love and Faith)

4 I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers, 5 hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, 6 that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. 7 For we have great joy and consolation in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother.

(The Plea for Onesimus)

8 Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, 9 yet for love’s sake I rather appeal to you—being such a one as Paul, the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ— 10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, 11 who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me.

12 I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart, 13 whom I wished to keep with me, that on your behalf he might minister to me in my chains for the gospel. 14 But without your consent I wanted to do nothing, that your good deed might not be by compulsion, as it were, but voluntary.

15 For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave—a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

(Philemon’s Obedience Encouraged)

17 If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. 18 But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. 19 I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. 20 Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord.

21 Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 22 But, meanwhile, also prepare a guest room for me, for I trust that through your prayers I shall be granted to you.

(Farewell)

23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, 24 as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow laborers.

25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen
    I think it is both a fact of history and a parable. What do Earl and Gary think about the shortest book in the New Testament?

This letter fits the definition of parable - short fictitious story
    Stealing money from taxpayers and throwing it at the problem has long been the backbone of American foreign policy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstockwell View Post
    This letter fits the definition of parable - short fictitious story
    Your definiton is flawed.

A parable is a succinct story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons, or (sometimes) a normative principle. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy

A parable may be ficticiuos, but it ain't necsessarily so!

Let me try to clue you in Dstockwell- Onesimus was Philemon's runaway slave, Philemon found The Truth through Paul as did Onesimus.
    Last edited by old thompson; 02-14-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old thompson View Post
    I think you would get two different lines of thought also, that is why I asked. The question I have is that do you believe that Paul's letter to Philemon on Onesimus's behalf is a fact of history, or just a parable. Here is that book of Philemon in it's entirety-

I think it is both a fact of history and a parable. What do Earl and Gary think about the shortest book in the New Testament?
    This is simply a historical inspired letter Paul wrote and not a parable. Curious why you wold think it is a parable? You may have found a commonality between myself and Gary here?
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    Earl, your misunderstanding of Catholicism is legend.

You are not going to convince me as an apostate that anything you have to say in criticism of may faith is valid, no matter how much you insist.

So:
    I totally understand the difference between imputation and infusion of the righteousness of Christ and how one is born again. The bible says it is by faith one is justified and the catechism of the RC church says one has to merit and attain eternal life.

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

2010 Since the initiative belongs to God in the order of grace, no one can merit the initial grace of forgiveness and justification, at the beginning of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life. Even temporal goods like health and friendship can be merited in accordance with God's wisdom. These graces and goods are the object of Christian prayer. Prayer attends to the grace we need for meritorious actions.

Quote Originally Posted by old thompson View Post
    Your definiton is flawed.

A parable may be ficticiuos, but it ain't necsessarily so!

Let me try to clue you in Dstockwell- Onesimus was Philemon's runaway slave, Philemon found The Truth through Paul as did Onesimus.
    I see where you are coming from though I believe most people know that parables use allegory most of the time. Now in the letter Paul wrote there is no doubt he is asking for charity towards the slave he is sending back and it indeed does convey what a Christian ought to do. Though I doubt Paul was writing this to teach this by way of a parable.

par·a·ble [par-uh-buhl] Show IPA
    noun
    a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
    a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.

Banned
    Well, maybe it isn't a parable so much as it is a good example of a good example. The way I read it, Paul shared the Gospel with Philemon and later to Onesimus. Onesimus the runaway slave was complelled to repay his debt to Philemon, who would have had the right to beat his runaway slave to death. Paul appeals to Philemon that he should forgive Onesimus and let Paul repay the debt.

The way I see it, the way it was explained to me, is that Philemon is like God in that he owns Onesimus. Paul is like Christ, in that he pleads to Philemon for the sinner to be forgiven. Paul says that he will repay Onesimus's debt, but Philemon forgets the debt because of his love for Paul.

Maybe you don't see it the same way that I do.

This thread is about sharing the gospel though...

Banned
    What? No opinion from Gary on the shortest book in the entire New Testament?

What gives?

Its a letter from Paul.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast