Changed by the Power of the Gospel - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Sola fide ("by faith alone") It is impossible to please God without faith

Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone") There is nothing you can add to or take away from to learn about God

Sola gratia ("by grace alone") The vehicle through which you are saved. Gods riches at Christs expense

Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone") His Birth, life, Death, Burial, Ressurection, and Assention. There is no other means of Salvation, for there is no other name given amoung men whereby we must be saved. The Spirit does indeed breathe the breath of life on those whom He chooses, but it is on Christs atonement and finished works alone.

Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone") And to God be the Glory. It is for His Glory alone!!!
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

George Washington owned hundreds of slaves. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves & fathered illegitimate children with his slaves. John Jay also owned slaves, despite his anti-slavery rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Spineyman View Post
    George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, First Chief Justice John Jay. Names synonomous with the spirit of our country, founding fathers of the U.S.A.

Over 200 years ago they shook off the chains of tyrany from Great Britain, by divine call. Citing 27 biblical violations, they wrote the Declaration of Independence, with liberty, and justice, for all.
    From the perspective of history these are "Names synonomous with the spirit of" hypocrisy. They gave Lip Service to All Men Being Created Equal, but owned slaves & sought to exterminate native Americans. For them "All Men" meant only some "Men" but NO WOMEN.

"Over 200 years ago they" failed to even shake "off the chains of tyrany" that enslaved people on their own property. For them "liberty, and justice, for all" pretty much meant "all" white Christian male land owners.

Keep the various assorted gods in churches, where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by FibberMckee View Post
    George Washington owned hundreds of slaves. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves & fathered illegitimate children with his slaves. John Jay also owned slaves, despite his anti-slavery rhetoric.

From the perspective of history these are "Names synonomous with the spirit of" hypocrisy. They gave Lip Service to All Men Being Created Equal, but owned slaves & sought to exterminate native Americans. For them "All Men" meant only some "Men" but NO WOMEN.

"Over 200 years ago they" failed to even shake "off the chains of tyrany" that enslaved people on their own property. For them "liberty, and justice, for all" pretty much meant "all" white Christian male land owners.

Keep the various assorted gods in churches, where they belong.
    I never said they were perfect, there was only one. But they did indeed bring about the greatest Nation to ever grace the planet.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by dstockwell View Post
    They can't save you, why do you need it.
    God uses the church to spread The Gospel. IOW it is the "means" of how people hear about Jesus. Also the church is used by God to be a place to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
    Earl, a man, married to a girl called Tina.

Men, Brothers, I take Paul's advice from 1 Timothy 1:4 "Nor to give heed to myths and unending genealogies, which produce questionings rather than God’s economy, which is in faith." Here is a challenge: describe "God's economy" from that verse, which most translate as "plan", "dispensation", etc. though the greek word is oikonomia (household-law) easily transliterated economy. I'll give a hint: there is a need in this universe that is much greater than man's need of salvation and man's involvement should not stop with salvation.

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    A man is saved unto good works not by good works. It is Christ and Christ alone who can save you from the death that you deserve. That work is done by the power of the Holy Spirit.
    I received the Holy Spirit through earnest study and effort and sacrament at 13, I even have the paperwork around here somewhere to prove it, not that I need to, since I'm channelling Its Holy Ghostliness right now.

Hypocritical and heretical condescending arrogance aside, you seem, as illustrated within the well constructed argument against your exegesis and politically manmade constructs and conveniences of the so-called " Solis" , if Christ ALONE was only necessary why do you need 4 more stand that also stand alone?

Washington never said that BTW.

America was never intended or designed to be a Christian nation. The guys who incorporated the bright demarcation line between governance and Godliness, did so to deny George III's divine right to rule them. They intended the Constitution as an instrument of liberation , not a shackle to faith.

To insert a Christian theology within them and it is a fraud.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    I received the Holy Spirit through earnest study and effort and sacrament at 13, I even have the paperwork around here somewhere to prove it, not that I need to, since I'm channelling Its Holy Ghostliness right now.

Hypocritical and heretical condescending arrogance aside, you seem, as illustrated within the well constructed argument against your exegesis and politically manmade constructs and conveniences of the so-called " Solis" , if Christ ALONE was only necessary why do you need 4 more stand that also stand alone?

America was never intended or designed to be a Christian nation. The guys who incorporated the bright demarcation line between governance and Godliness, did so to deny George III's divine right to rule them. They intended the Constitution as an instrument of liberation , not a shackle to faith.

Indeed:
    The easiest way to find out how "Christian" the US Constitution is is to do a word search throughout the document.

Number of times the word "God" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Creator" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Jesus" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Bible" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Church" appears: zero

But what about the Declaration of Independence?

Number of times the word "God" appears: once
    Number of times the word "Creator" appears: once
    Number of times the word "Jesus" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Bible" appears: zero
    Number of times the word "Church" appears: zero

Game, set, match.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post

Well I guess you read a different History than I did. It was founded on Gods Word as Law and guided by principled men filled with the Holy Spirit and Gods Word and Power. As for the personal attacks I count it all joy bretheren when men say all sorts of evil about me... Good day to you and still I will pray for your eyes to be opend by the only one who can.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by chubasco View Post

OR, you could just find heaven on earth.

Chubs, this is the only thing you've ever posed that is worth a chit.

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Well I guess you read a different History than I did. It was founded on Gods Word as Law and guided by principled men filled with the Holy Spirit and Gods Word and Power.
    That is simply not true, yet is true to the theme of this thread which is the power of self-delusion.

So no, I did not read a different history, I've studied THE history. A history, like my faith that was not invented to affirm my personal political views out of convenience.

Yet none of that history conflicts with my faith. It is easily reconcilable without diminishing it at all because I, like those great yet flawed men, respect the diversity of faith without the need to convert others or history to mine.
    Last edited by Gary S. Colecchio; 02-12-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast