Can the FWC now seize your equipment if caught in violation?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can the FWC now seize your equipment if caught in violation?

So can the FWC take your gear, boat, vehicle if caught in violation of the regs, such as limits etc?

They can impound it, but generally, unless the violation is severe. they will not. If they impound it, they have to go to court and get a judge to sign a seizure order. If this order is not signed, they must return it.

If I remember some of the past stories, yes they can. All of it. You can attempt to get it back, but after Lawyer fees, probably could have re-bought everything.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

they can take you ,the game or fish that you should not have and anything that assisted you in taking such fish or game that you should not have.

As said before, yes they can and will, it's been like that for a while. I was at a boat ramp one afternoon and saw two men getting arrested, FWC officers removing undersized Reds and Snook from inside the console of the guys' boat. Hung around for a little while longer and they had a tow truck come and impound the truck and boat, along with all their equipment.

They definitely can, be aware of that and can charge you with things that not even necessarily had happened. I am not trying to scare anyone but just sharing my personal experiences. Believe it or not, I said it. Period.
    Last edited by Mango Man; 02-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Yes they can and do.....but it is also the main reason that FWC people disappear and are never heard from again....what are the actual statistics....number 1 of not having a close back up, not having any back up....playing in the woods or out to sea where what happens in the sea and swamp stay planted in the sea and swamp.....some very nasty and very chilling numbers.....
    Thank god i dont have that job.....got to have balls of platinum and a true death wish.....
    Give the guys and gals the respect they are due for that extremely dangerous job with very little monetary reward...
    I believe most are there because they love the outdoors, they due want to protect the environment so that we all can enjoy whats left of natural florida....so that everyone has an even chance at harvesting wild caught game....
    I give due respect....

Something to consider ..... Lacey Act of 1900.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfd16usca3371.htm

> the Act prohibits trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that have been illegally taken, possessed, transported or sold.

> The amendments also allowed for warrantless arrest for felony violations under the Act and expansion of the role of federal wildlife agents.

> The felony provision of this part of the act was amended such that one could be convicted if he or she either knew of the import or export of the species or where he or she was involved in the sale or purchase of wildlife, fish, or plants with a market value greater than $350.

I recall seeing one FWC vehicle that actually says it was seized though illegal activity. Granted I do not think they will take your stuff if you have a mangrove snapper a 1/4 inch under the limit but if you have 10 snook out of season and under slot or a turkey out of season then you might have an issue.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Quote Originally Posted by Captjohn5150 View Post
    Yes they can and do.....but it is also the main reason that FWC people disappear and are never heard from again....what are the actual statistics....number 1 of not having a close back up, not having any back up....playing in the woods or out to sea where what happens in the sea and swamp stay planted in the sea and swamp.....some very nasty and very chilling numbers.....Thank god i dont have that job.....got to have balls of platinum and a true death wish.....
    Give the guys and gals the respect they are due for that extremely dangerous job with very little monetary reward...
    I believe most are there because they love the outdoors, they due want to protect the environment so that we all can enjoy whats left of natural florida....so that everyone has an even chance at harvesting wild caught game....
    I give due respect....
    LoL wut?

They only want nice toys, make that nice paid off toys. If you have junk, you'll be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast