Liberalism Versus Blacks . . . - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I don't care what you're opinion is, but when you misrepresent facts there is a problem.

Please name some "conservative" lawmaker-types that want to roll back civil rights and equality (PS, requiring voters to have ID doesn't count, you have to have ID to get a fishing license for eff sake).

You used to be more open-minded, now you just parrot the extreme left talking points.

I thought you were smarter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by stsimons View Post
    Interesting... you see the laws enforcing the implementation of racial quotas, certain entitlements, affirmative action, etc. as "your rights", yet these are goodies only minorities get. If you stopped getting this preferential treatment then that somehow "infringes" on your rights?

What does it take to have your best interest at heart anyway? Obviously it can not mean applying the same standards to you as a minority as we apply to non-minorities. I honestly don't think conservatives need to spend time trying to "convince" minorities of anything - we are just going to treat you like everyone else. Shocking concept right?

Why should you have rights I don't just because of the color of your skin?
    1. No.. I didn't say if I stopped getting what you call preferential treatment that it infringes on my rights, I said if I'm not protected by the law then infringement of my rights is an evident possibility.

2. Well if you did treat us just like everyone else it would be a different story, I would love to believe that you would, but if I were to judge from a lot of these post, yours included mr "Last Black President in a while" It would difficult to prove.

3. Why should I not be protected under the law in a society that has a history of infringing on my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by tankard View Post
    I don't care what you're opinion is, but when you misrepresent facts there is a problem.

Please name some "conservative" lawmaker-types that want to roll back civil rights and equality (PS, requiring voters to have ID doesn't count, you have to have ID to get a fishing license for eff sake).

You used to be more open-minded, now you just parrot the extreme left talking points.

I thought you were smarter than that.
    Apparently you do care what my opinion is. There is no misrepresentation of fact on my part, and I'm not diluting anything. You just don't agree with it, and that's ok. Show me that I'm wrong. There are people on this forum who have seen me accept any correction they have applied to anything that I said.

Why tell me to answer you then delimit my answer to exclude the most recent effort to roll back voting laws? Voting isn't fishing, fishing isn't a right. This is seen as voter suppression, how about I exclude welfare instead.

Real quick,

Ronald Reagan wanted to (campaigned on) ending quotas and welfare, Nixon wanted to (campaigned on) end busing, Jeb Bush actually went after Affirmative Action in Florida, Look in the newspaper and see what the conservatives in Mississippi have done with abortion rights.

Since you wanted names... and I'm sure I can dig in and find quite a few more.

But I don't think "names" are really relevant to what I'm trying to express though I just threw some up for your edification, you are trying to get me to prove specific action by conservatives, I'm trying to get you to see the peril inherent in the removal of protections. and it certainly is a diversion from my response to the original article. Which is... at least the liberals are trying to make things better, working or failing... Conservatives... fear mongering aside... have nothing to offer.

Senior Member Reptile Dysfunction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishbohn View Post
    Everyone has a right to equal employment opportunity, and Affirmative action was a part of the civil rights agenda if not the act.

I didn't dance neatly around anything, my statement was made on pretty blatant terms as it pertains to conservatism v liberalism, I didn't mention party for a reason, parties tend to change and have throughout our history. My "grievance" as you call it is not with Republicans, it's with Conservatism, specifically social conservatism, that's why I framed my statements as such. They just happen to wrap themselves around a republican banner these days.

You are stuck on a brand name. And apparently resolved to make this something that better fits your thinking. Apparently you object to me having an opinion contrary to your own and feel the need to throw Obama in the mix to prove it.

So far in your statements to me you haven't said anything that would persuade me to think to the contrary.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that little bit of "latent" racism.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke

my home town is rather upscale and might be considered expensive to live in....
    the majority of the voting population (which is rather high) claim to be republicans...

the ratio of the black to white citizens remains pretty static....
    blacks are as likely to live in upscale areas of town as they are in the original black neighborhood 40 years ago...
    there are many very successful black owned businesses in town as well as black professionals...
    whites frequent the black owned businesses as much as any white owned businesses, and vice verse...

so what does that say????

however, the mississippi coast has become more cosmopolitan than the rest of the state....
    there are still some white "hold-outs", but there will probably always be a few redneck racist...
    mostly due to education....

as you were............
    mac

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....

Banned
    I think i understandand agrree with you on abuse of the saftey net, Phishbohn. Perhaps we should explore the reasons for such abuse more. The way I see it, people are a lot like those pelicans I mentioned earlier. Some pelicans have been taught that they can just get their food from other fishermen, it is just easier for them not to fish for themselves at all.And why should they even bother to fish? The stupid tourists provide them with all the fish they could ever need. These pelicans have no respect for fishermen or even for the fish, there is always another stupid tourist ready to feed them more fish.

I got no problems with a saftey net, but just a net- not a freakin' hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by old thompson View Post
    Well said!
    Starlight to pierce darkness.

Science to overwhelm superstition.

And, in the private sphere of the mind,
    reason and evidence to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by old thompson View Post
    I think i understandand agrree with you on abuse of the saftey net, Phishbohn. Perhaps we should explore the reasons for such abuse more. The way I see it, people are a lot like those pelicans I mentioned earlier. Some pelicans have been taught that they can just get their food from other fishermen, it is just easier for them not to fish for themselves at all.And why should they even bother to fish? The stupid tourists provide them with all the fish they could ever need. These pelicans have no respect for fishermen or even for the fish, there is always another stupid tourist ready to feed them more fish.

Said it before and I'll say it again... this magical welfare fantasy land you guys keep talking about just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi mac View Post
    my home town is rather upscale and might be considered expensive to live in....
    the majority of the voting population (which is rather high) claim to be republicans...

the ratio of the black to white citizens remains pretty static....
    blacks are as likely to live in upscale areas of town as they are in the original black neighborhood 40 years ago...
    there are many very successful black owned businesses in town as well as black professionals...
    whites frequent the black owned businesses as much as any white owned businesses, and vice verse...

so what does that say????

however, the mississippi coast has become more cosmopolitan than the rest of the state....
    there are still some white "hold-outs", but there will probably always be a few redneck racist...
    mostly due to education....

as you were............
    mac
    I like that area where you live... and vow to pay you a visit before I get too decrepit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Dysfunction View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that little bit of "latent" racism.
    Oh yawn, someone starts a thread called "Liberalism Vs Blacks" and I responded with my opinion, what ...did you think I wouldn't? I didn't say anything about being superior to you or anyone else because of my race. My statement was against social conservatism, not white people. Get a dictionary, look up racism and get back with me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast