Fruit Tree Advise

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fruit Tree Advice

Hi everyone. Forgive my spelling error. I am looking into purchasing some fruit trees to plant in my yard in south PSL near Stuart and would like to know if anyone has or had any experience with this before. I plan on having a key lime, hass avocado, banana, macadamia nut, and passion fruit tress. From everything that I have read, the climate in this area should be sufficient for these tress. Can anyone offer any advice, input, or recommend any places to purchase trees such as these?

BTW..........I never post any reports or really anything for that matter due to being in Afghanistan. The closest thing I can give to a fishing report is about the count of terrorists that were killed on a recent outing haha! I appreciate all the reports that everyone posts. They brighten my day up over here and make me jealous! haha! Thanks guys!
    Last edited by pescador83; 02-07-2013 at 09:23 AM.

I'm not sure about the trees you mentioned, but my backyard has longan, mango and 2 sugar apple trees. Planted them 1.5yrs ago and they are doing good. The sugar apple trees even produced fruit this year. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

I don't know much about this, but did plant some such trees when I first moved to FL. The only thing I learned is that you need to take care of the trees, lol, big news. I allowed the grass to grow right up around my young trees and they got choked. Mango is an easy tree, grows almost like a weed...but can get huge (you can get a great hybrid that is way better than store mango's). Banana's are super easy too and grow wild down here. I would just go to your local nursery, they might know more than fisherman!
    Wahoo and Gog Preservation Society--founding father, est. 2011

Check out: https://www.facebook.com/darcizzleoffshore

Nelsons family farms on Midway road or Lychee Tree on Kanner Hwy should have what your looking for if it grows in this area. I picked up a Florida Hass and a couple of citrus trees form Nelsons at xmas time, very helpful. They have a big variety and sizes depending on how much you want to spend.

Feel free to post the body counts and Thanks for what you are doing.

Unless you are aware that the bananas will spread and are almost impossible to get rid go for it. They look good for a while, but after they fruit the stalk dies and it pretty ugly.

Thanks for your service.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

Yes mango trees can get large. If you have the space, they provide great shade too. Bananas are easy, but most are not like "chiquita". Pineapples grow very easy too. The passion fruit you can set as a vine along a fence. Nice colorful flowers

Body counts are good. We like pics too
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice

i'd switch the banana for a lychee. Hayden mango's are great.

Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it. If I could only get away with posting pics of dead terrorists! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Fi$h2nguyen View Post
    I'm not sure about the trees you mentioned, but my backyard has longan, mango and 2 sugar apple trees. Planted them 1.5yrs ago and they are doing good. The sugar apple trees even produced fruit this year. Good luck, and thank you for your service.
    Where did you get your Longan tree? Wife is Chinese and that is one of her first childhood memories, climbing Longan trees and eating the fruit. She has been wanting to get one in the ground but we have not been able to locate one.

We planted a Lychee, Mango and some variety of Orange this past fall. They seem to be doing really well.
    John Cooper ruined my childhood.

If guns cause crime; then pencils cause misspelled words.

Try http://www.excaliburfruittrees.com/. Really great place. Good luck. The biggee the hole you dig the better the plant will do, i like to make the hole about 3 times the root ball and as deep as possible. I also like to break the root ball up and loosen reall good and cut away any bits that are wrapping around before planting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast