Is Snagging Legal?

Florida Sportsman

Is Snagging Legal?

I haven't seen snagging addressed in the FWC regulations. Is it legal to snag Mullet and other saltwater fish?

Snagging or snatch hooking is addressed in the FWC regulations. For each species of fish there is a heading for "Legal Gear". Unless it specifically states that snatch hooking is prohibited, then you can assume its legal for that particular species. However, in some areas there may be a local regulation prohibiting snatching. Its is legal to snatch mullet in the State of Florida, but if you ask a Everglades National Park Ranger they will probably tell you that its NOT legal in the Park, despite there being no regulation prohibited snagging mullet that I can find in their literature. Some of the fish species that CANNOT be snagged in Florida are Black Drum, Flounder, Redfish, Sheephead, Snook, Tarpon, Tripletail, and of course any protected species where harvesting is prohibited outright, such as Spotted Eagle Rays,, Goliath Grouper, Nassau Grouper, etc. But don't take my word on this list of prohibited species being all inclusive, since I'm not a FWC officer, but just have a working knowledge of the State's fishing regulations.
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 02-09-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks, i only saw legal hook and line. I know mullet are hard to catch but are tasty.

I use to snag mullet for live snook bait all the time in areas where throwing a cast net would spook out all the snook. We used size 10/0 treble hooks that were sharpened on a grinder. We had spinning rods with 12 lb test set up just for snagging. One guy I knew got so good at snagging mullet he could snag a single mullet that he spotted swimming along. He did not even have to wait for a school of them to come along like I did. This was back in the days when mogan snook were legal.

yeah, I've seen a school swim by and think, Those would be so easy to snag but i didn't think it was legal. I'm from Michigan but fish at my grandpa's in Port Charlotte every winter. Here, snagging all fish is illegal, i believe. thanks for the help though

Saltwater mullet are the best fish for a hot smoker IMO. Leave the scales on and butterfly them for the smoker. Mullet have an oil in their skin that keeps the meat from drying out during the smoking process. The skin will dry out but not the meat, so its like eating fish out of a shell, if done properly. They go great with cold beer.
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 02-09-2013 at 02:34 AM.