Leader Question

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Leader Question

Leader Question

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I love reading all the posts and reports you guys put out. Im from Connecticut and we don't have the variety you have so it's cool learning new stuff. Any way I'll be visiting some family in Vero in mid March and I'm pumped to be bringing my 6 wt and seeing what I can do wading around inshore and possibly trying out the surf. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on leader length and strength. Where I'm from I mostly use 5/6 lb. tapered down to 3/2 lb. So what do you guys suggest? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What part of CT?? I am from the Stratford/Milford/Trumbull area. Keep it simple. If you know how to tie a good loop knot you are set (I use perfection loops). With a 6wt. your primary flats targets will be reds and trout. Your butt section can be a 5-6' (or a arm wingspan) section of 30# fluorocarbon leader.....then handshake a 3-4' (a little less than an arm wingspan) section of 15# fluorocarbon leader for your "class tippet" then attach to your fly. It's easy and simple and will stand up to anything you will get into. If you find yourself getting into some snook, add a 25# shock tippet via a nail knot to you class tippet.

2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

If you have an intermediate line, bring it, but shorten your leader to about 5-7 feet. I like to use a shock tippet, just in case of the "toothy" critters.

If you are buying tappered leaders with a floating line, I would go with a 9' 10# leader for most flats species, unless you are fishing docks. Snook need a 20# to 25# fluorocarbon bit tippet. If you are fishing docks the size of the leader should be increased to about 15#, although you may have a problem pulling them out with a 6wt. For sink tip or sinking lines, I would not use a tappered leader. A 5' level 20# to 25" fluorocarbon leader with 2' tippet of 10# fluorocarbon will work. Again you need 20# to 25# bite tippets for snook.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcast View Post
    What part of CT?? I am from the Stratford/Milford/Trumbull area. Keep it simple. If you know how to tie a good loop knot you are set (I use perfection loops). With a 6wt. your primary flats targets will be reds and trout. Your butt section can be a 5-6' (or a arm wingspan) section of 30# fluorocarbon leader.....then handshake a 3-4' (a little less than an arm wingspan) section of 15# fluorocarbon leader for your "class tippet" then attach to your fly. It's easy and simple and will stand up to anything you will get into. If you find yourself getting into some snook, add a 25# shock tippet via a nail knot to you class tippet.
    I'm from Portland which is right between Middletown and Glastonbury. Pretty much center of the state so most of my fly fishing has been on the salmon river and various local ponds. I'm bringing a floating line and i always tie my own leaders and use loop connections. Thanks for all the replies everybody. I think I'll be spending most of my fishing time on the flats so I'll probably go with the #30 to #15 or maybe a #20 to a #10 but if I head to the surf I'll be sure to add on that shock tippet. I'll probably be stopping by the fly shop that's in Vero (there is one right?) but now I won't be going in blind. Thanks for all the help!

I think the fly shop in Vero has closed. At least the one I know of, which was called the Backcountry. You can drive up to Melbourne and visit Harry Goodes Outdoor shop though, and have fun!
    If I'm going to hell, I'm gonna go playing the piano
    Jerry Lee Lewis

Ya actually last night I was looking into that and I guess they did close. Shame to see local shops like that shut down. Does anybody know of any shops that might be closer? If Harry Goodes is the closest I'll definitely make the drive up but I'd prefer to keep it local to Vero just because I'll be borrowing a car and want to keep driving to a minimum. As always thanks for all the replies!

You didn't ask, but I have had great fun flyfishing the park at Sebastian. South side, inside, all the way to the end. Any one know if any macks/ladies/blues are in yet?

ML, your best bet would be to drive just a bit North to Harry Goodes and try to go when Bill is there. He is one sharp dude, especially when it comes to fly fishing.

The only other fly shop around that I know about is Ole FL, and they are in Boca. The boys at HG will set you straight.