Hillsboro Inlet 2/5---> Tripletail to the rescue!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hillsboro Inlet 2/5---> Tripletail to the rescue!

I got my Forum buddy Kevin (Treetopflyn) to join me for a day of trolling and trying for some dolphin. The Portugese Man-O-Wars were thicker than I have ever seen in 30+ years of fishing off of South Florida! We pressed on beyond most of them but after 2+ hours of zero hits and finally finding a scattered weedline, we nearly ran over a big pod of nice tripletail!

Kev tossed over a Capt Mark's Marker but when we came back the tripletails were long gone. We went ahead and worked/drifted into the weedline and soon found a bucket that held fish. Kev pulled two off of that bucket using a small, yellowtail jig tipped with a slice of a bally. A few twitches of that in front of them would trigger a strike.

We later moved on and soon found a big, white canvas bag that was holding more tripletails. I was able to get in the action and we ended up with our limit of 2 per harvestor. The funny part was that I did not have my trusty FS Fish Stick to measure them with! We tore the boat apart to find any kind of measuring device, but no dice. We did have a copy of the Fishing Regs themselves and since we knew that they were the standard 8 1/2 by 11 inches, we used that to make sure that we were at/over the 15" minimum...... and we were good on all four fish....... which was the Max for two people.

We trolled some more but finally called it a day with some nice eating fish in the box. We did see one school of 'phins but could not get any hits. There was a LOT of sea life out there todat though! Turtles, bait fish, triggers, bar jacks, etc...... that and lots of trash, buckets, boards, etc..... all mixed in with the scattered weedline which was in 750 feet. Some guys are gonna have a good time tomorrow a bit up the road from us!

Last edited by Gary M; 02-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Heck yeah Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by GT Fish View Post
    Heck yeah Gary!
    After I finished cleaning them, I was kind of glad that we had a 4 fish limit! If you have never cleaned one, they're tough. Like sharks they actually are a "pre-historic" fish and they are almost like swimming porcupines with their fins and barbs...... I wisely used a thick towel to handle them. And I used my standard "triggerfish technique" as well.........

I pan fried some last night and with a few fried shrimp and some yellow rice, it was yummy!!

They are great eating, we scupped a 20" 2 weeks ago swordfishing. Just swam into the light.

Hadn't caught one that big in years.

Its NOT the boat that catches the fish.

very nice! those are delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by dpdash View Post
    very nice! those are delicious!
    I think that if I ever catch another one that I might trying grilling it. Fillet it but leave the skin on to help hold in the moisture and help hold it together since it's a pretty delicate fillet.

Kev's got a family so he took 5 fillets and I kept 3, one of which I had last night. Jenn and I will have the other two this weekend.... maybe lightly dusted and then baked.

Nice job Gary.

Nicely done, TT is great raw as well!

Enjoy some of the best eatin' fish in our waters
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by ZimmerNole View Post
    Nicely done, TT is great raw as well!

Enjoy some of the best eatin' fish in our waters
    I need to set up a small bowl of soy & wasabi for when I'm cleaning fish! And I did have a few bites of the tripletail and it was nice....... very mild. Cooked, it gets bright white......

good stuff Gary! you were close enough to drop for some tiles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast