Preplanning for trip to cocoa beach

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preplanning for trip to cocoa beach

Just found this site and looks great. Its a little early but trying to gather up some info for a week long trip at the end of June.
    Was wanting some pointers on what to target while there at end of June. I plan on taking offshore trip and wandering what to expect that time of year. My big question is whether or not to bring my own boat. I have a 15 foot rubber dinghy style boat with 30 hp. There seems to be a lot of water in that area where this thing would work just fine. was also wandering about taking it out just off breakers to get into something bigger say tarpon spanish or kings. Does this sound manageable on nice days. I see soem people on here with really small boats going out. Also thought about drifting with it in the inlets. Would this be something where I could get on something quick or would I waste my week just looking. Also thought about just renting kayaks while there to chase redfish in Lagoon. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I would say make some friends on here between now and then. Then offer to pay for gas and go out on someones boat.

H2O Vinyl Designs - High quality vinyl stickers.
    Free Shipping Worldwide.

www.h2ovinyldesigns.com

www.RCIoptics.com

www.boteboards.com

Fishing Videos

I say pass on bringing the boat down, just wade out and fish the flats. You don't want to drift Sebastian in a boat that size unless you like swimming, the current pushes through there super fast, and the mouth of the inlet can get pretty intense since the tidal change through it is 3hrs behind the ocean so it creates standing waves on the outgoing.

As far as fishing the Atlantic, most of the prime fishing is 15+ mi offshore. if you did bring the boat you can always work the buoys around canaveral, that time or year is usually pretty calm. You can always charter as well, there's lots of captains on the board. For a standard Barry boat it'll run you around 100, or for a smaller/faster charter that has a broader range of fish to target you'll pay around 500.. God luck!

That sounds like a great idea. Anyone need any friends? No seriously that would be great to get to know someone local there that would share some knowledge for a day or two. I actually own an Outfitter company in WV for Smallmouth and Musky and would certainly reciprocate a trip if ever in WV. I didnt see a trade a trip kind of thing on here as some boards have but certainly would be willing. I'm a good fisherman, have many boats and know my way around the water just never been to that area. I hate to spend limited time figuring something out only to have my last day be the day I do it. Tarpon are on my bucket list and I see that at that time they could be just off the beach. So if anyone has that figured out I'm all ears. I'm up for anything really! I think I'm gonna copy and paste this on eharmony! Thanks for the advice

Paragon,
    Thats kind of what I was thinking about the boat and figured as much. I do plan to charter a boat one day although havent decided who to go with yet or what to target. May be dumb question but is Barry boat a headboat sort of thing your referring too.
    A far as wading out and fishing flats I assume you mean for redfish or trout? Would love to do that as well but never have and dont really know what areas to look for. Any things to be aware of wading around? Tide changes, gators, snakes etc

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hey Beaver, I'm sure we could work something out.. Late June is right on the edge of Hot Water fishing. There are still a few tournaments offshore around that time but if you are here during the week I can get you out.. Check out my website below.

Summer time big Tarpon are active early in the morning or after the afternoon storms. Work the pogy schools just past the breakers. Some times you can see them rolling on the surface. There are a lot of guys here that do well in kayaks doing this so your boat will be just fine

Thanks guys for the info. One question about the boat. I'm assuming these guys in kayaks are just launching from beach and going straight out. How or what inlet are the guys with small boats using to get out. I'm used to NC inlets which are fairly nasty if wind or current is a certain direction.

Also, been reading and had a few responses that the offshore fishing is starting to slow a bit that time of year. Is that the case due to warm water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast