What might I need a larger conventional reel/rod combo for in tampa bay?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What might I need a larger conventional reel/rod combo for in tampa bay?

I am currently living in VA and fishing Chesapeake Bay. I am outfitting myself with a relatively heavy conventional combo for Striper trolling here. I have a 19ft shallow-draft bay boat (Sea-Pro SV1900) so I wouldn't be fishing big water. Before I bought a rod/reel combo for VA, I thought I'd see if I could get one that would do double duty for both Bays (TPA and Chesapeake). I have been posting a bit on this forum and seems most prefer spinning reels for fishing around the bay, even for the larger species such as tarpon and grouper. So my question is this: would I need a medium heavy/heavy conventional setup like a Penn 320GT and matching rod for Tampa Bay fishing and if so, what would I use it for? Is there anything that a heavier spinning setup wouldn't work well for?

Thanks so much,
    TBT

for grouper and tarpon.
    Shimano Trevala spinning rod. in the 60-100 pound class . Diawa 6000 Saltist will handle most any thing you going to run into Tampa bay. I use 65 pound test.

I really do not like spinning tackle for bottom fishing. There is just too much torque when the gears have to change from one plane, 90* to the next gear, to haul a fish off the bottom. Personally, I use a Trinidad 30 and a Saltiga 40 for bottom fishing. I put these reels on a fast action rod with a lot of guts at the butt to lift the fish. Remember, the rod beats the fish, not the reel. A Saltist 30 or 40 would also do nicely, as would a Tekota 600 or 700 if you want a levelwind, which I shy away from. Any of these reels would do nicely for your striper fishing up north.

These reels would also be good for tarpon when fishing deep, such as in Boca Grande, or off Egmont, but typically when beach fishing, you want/need a rod/reel that you can cast a pilchard or crab, necessitating a spinner. For this, I recommend a 4500 or 5000 Daiwa Saltist filled with 50# braid. Put it in a Shimano Terramar 8' XH rod, and you have one of the most popular tarpon outfits I sell

If you can avoid a level-wind for bottomfishing, do it. Take a hard look at Daiwa's Sealine 400H for grouper/snapper here, on a 7' rod rated for 30-50lbs. Spool it with good quality 30 or 40lbs mono like Ande Premium and you're in good shape.

PB

You can find use for anything up to a 14/0 in Tampa bay. It's all about what you wanna fish for. I would not recommend a levelwind like a gt for anything though. You'd be better served with a few 4/0 senator setups for bottom fishing and for tarpon.

That's sounds like a good setup for trolling for lunker snook or dueling them on bridge fenders. Would be good for poons too.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

What might one troll for inside the bay with the rods that have been recommended? Snookmeister, forgive my ignorance, but how/what do you troll for Snook?

I will be getting a heavy spinning rod to cover the casting end of things so I just looking for the most versatile setup for a conventional reel/rod. I could see myself doing some bottom-fishing and some fishing for Tarpon around the bridges. I did find this setup at a local shop that they are selling for striper trolling--Tekoa 700 http://www.greentophuntfish.com/gree...700-combo.html I also found a Penn Senator 114 combo for around $200 as well.

One last question: Is there a difference in gearing, drag, etc between reels for trolling and bottom fishing? I have a line on a good deal on a used TLD 25 but was told by some others that this was overkill for trolling but not strong enough for bottom fishing.

Thanks so much,
    TBT

I'd argue that for the type of fishing your describing, a TLD-25 will do it all just fine...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

Quote Originally Posted by tbtball View Post
    What might one troll for inside the bay with the rods that have been recommended? Snookmeister, forgive my ignorance, but how/what do you troll for Snook?

I will be getting a heavy spinning rod to cover the casting end of things so I just looking for the most versatile setup for a conventional reel/rod. I could see myself doing some bottom-fishing and some fishing for Tarpon around the bridges. I did find this setup at a local shop that they are selling for striper trolling--Tekoa 700 http://www.greentophuntfish.com/gree...700-combo.html I also found a Penn Senator 114 combo for around $200 as well.

One last question: Is there a difference in gearing, drag, etc between reels for trolling and bottom fishing? I have a line on a good deal on a used TLD 25 but was told by some others that this was overkill for trolling but not strong enough for bottom fishing.

Thanks so much,
    TBT
    Depends on the trolling, but a tld-25 would likely be overkill for trolling for snook, but a lot of guys use them for grouper trolling. For bottom fishing a senator or daiwa sealine is a better option though.

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning on getting a Penn Senator 113 4/0 mostly for my striper fishing up here that I could use for a little bottom fishing or trolling Tampa Bay once I move. I decided to ditch the levelwind and keep it simple. Do you guys who do bottom fish, fish braid? What kind of bottom fishing is possible inside the bay? Also, is the 4/0 size about right? When I do move I will get one of the nicer spinning setups for some serious Tarpon fishing.

thanks again,
    TBT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast