vaca spot needed!!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vaca spot needed!!

Good morning guys and gals, im writing to you from the east coast looking for some help. Myself, wife and 2 little boys 10-7 we are thinking of trying to make a trip over to the west coast in the end of march to do some fishing and im not sure where to start. I have fished chuc and falmingo before with people that know those waters and im not comfortable going at it alone with my most precious cargo so im tryng to find a spot that i can take them with some great outdoors and good fishing. Im not looking to set any workd records just mental records for the boys so the question is wheres the best spot to go with our camper and boat to do lots of great inshore fishing that they can just wear their little arms out? again not looking for the giants of boca grande just alot of fun fish. my boys are just getting into the fishing thing and i wanna help them continue the trend!! in my mind its a lost art for many youngsters so the fact that mine have it i want to do all i can to allow them to explore every aspect of it and they are excited bout it. so thanks in advance for all the suggestions. Thomas

I'm in Sarasota and the bay is very user friendly. Drifting the deeper grass flats inside New Pass and in front of Ringling Mansion almost guarantees you will catch something. Depending on the time of the year Snook are plentiful in the passes and on the beach. Reds are always here, but can take local knowledge to find them. There is the Turtle Beach campground on Seista Key. Just not sure about keeping a boat there and it is on Little Sarasota Bay and with all the slow speed zones a haul to Sarasota Bay.

http://www.simplysiestakey.com/Turtl...ampground.html

Another place to take a look at is Ft De Soto Park on Tampa Bay. There is a campground, great fishing (boat, kayak, or wade), bike and hiking trails, great beaches, short drive to Busch Gardens and Wet and Wild. Really can't go wrong there.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

If you make it over this way send me a PM and I'll try and point you in the right direction on the fish.
    Last edited by Flat_Top; 02-13-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection

Are you bringing a boat or going from shore or what?

I have been renting a house I found on vrbo.com the last few years on Little Gasparilla Island that has been fantastic. Great island but it is truly an island no bars no nothing. Just houses bring your own food and supplies and etc... but fishing in the area is great. If you have a boat, lots of stuff to explore that is well marked overall. If you don't have a boat, you can fish from the beach or on the intracoastal side.

This would be better if you had a boat because there is no cars on the island but there is a service or two that you can get to take you to the island but without a boat, you are at their schedule. But it is a fantastic island for you and the kids to explore and have a great time.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Camping at Fort Desoto and fishing the piers on mangrove holes would be my choice. Simmons park in ruskin would be an alternative if Ft D is full.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

I have to agree with Captainbly. Little Gasparilla is a great spot for kids. Great fishing and beach and no cars. If you want to take your camper it is a no go as you have to go by boat. There are lots or reasonable rentals on the island if you are open to renting.

as i said i will be bringing my bay boat

Give Pine Island or Matlacha a try. A bit of old florida but still has restaurants, hotels, shops, galleries and bars. Not so far out but you can still get out by yourself if you have kayaks or a boat.

Sorry, missed the boat and camper. LGI is out for that. Fort DeSoto is very very nice. Very very full though too. There are always a few spots available on Friday but they will be booked up on line now and coming across the state without a sure thing woudl be a tough call. I have never stayed at simmons park but my brother did and said it was very nice. Never navigated those waters in and out of the park either. Good luck. I would leave the camper and still go LGI...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

If you find an open spot at Fort Desoto the best ones for typing your boat up in the no pet RV sites are sites 165 to about 192 or so as the water is deeper. It's a neat place if you haven't been but it's very hard to get a spot there.

ok guys have decided to leave rv now a new question does anyone have a rental property for the end of march?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast