Estero Bay 02\05\13

Florida Sportsman

Estero Bay 02\05\13

What a great couple of day's in Estero Bay this week , I fished a 2 daier with DaveO's buddy from the great north (Chi ca go) Ryan , who had no problem being down here this week . Tuesday was the best day with the air temps on the rise , a slow incoming tide all day and a slow rise in water temp , it was a cold 63degrees in the am and by 2 pm it was a whole 67 degrees . The goal was to put Ryan on some fish , he has done very little fishing in Florida and Dave O talked me up a storm while he was up north ( no presure here ) thank goodness the weather was good . We started out the morning up by the passes doing a little scouting for bait and boucing some bucktails , well there is still no bait , but pleanty of Sheepies , we cought a couple and Dave O pulled in this nice one to 16 inches , which made it's way to the box .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	71604
    After that guy we changed gears and decied to move into the bay and hit the grass flats , here is where we found pleanty of Trout to play with , I was in the process of showing Ryan how to use artificals when bam this 23 inch Red interupts my leason

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	71605
    Well now Ryan is stoked , he is all ready for his , I teach him a little more on how to work the lure through the grass and Bam he is on with his first Red , a nice 25 incher

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	71599
    he made it to the live well , while we looked for a bigger one . a couple more Trout and 2 more Reds which were around the 20 inch mark , we decided to head in , Ryan was getting that common red tan that most northern's get down here , so we headed back to the docks . As we headed , Dave tells me how nice it would be to get Ryan a nice Snook to finish his first slam , so I said will check the docks and see if we could fix that and BAM Ryans first Snook

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	71601
    Wensday was alot different , it was alot warmer , we made it out to some other grass flats to check them out , same pattern as the day before , Trout all over the flats . We moved through the area with a couple of short Reds around , Dave and I were discussing that the Reds when they are shorter they have more spots , well right after that discussion a 14 spoter graced us , he went about 20 inches

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	71603
    After that we called it a day , Ryans 85fps was not working , around 11am , went back to the house washed the gear and sparked up the grill for some Blackend Redfish on rolls , sorry guys no pics of the sandwhiches , they barely made it off the grill .All except the Sheepies and the 25 inch Red were released , the gear was 6 and 8 lb , all artis for the Reds , Snook , and Trout , Srimp tiped jigs for the Sheepies . Notes we saw a giant Jewfish in 4 feet of water at least 300 lbs moving around on the center flats ( I guess he had the same plan we had ) and pleanty of wildlife aswell , also there are alot of manatees moving into the shallows so keep a close eye out for them . Go catch'um up guys and I hope this helps ya all out .
    JSTick'um

Dave and the guys let you fish in the harbor! I'm stunned!

Nice fishing for Feb.

Nice work Jim!! Great report

Nice spots on the last pic.

Good report Jim....hope to get out later this coming week.

Nice detailed report!

Solid report and photos, enjoyed it.

Thanks All , this week has been a little slow , Tuesday and Wensday this coming week look like great fishing weather , so hopefully ya guys are going to get out there